SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raging gust to 43 mph.  Ten minute average is 24... I believe the highest of the winter.

New hand built industrial strength greenhouse door isn't fazed. I put 5 hinges and two dead bolt latches on that sucker.

I want to get my anemometer 20ft higher, but I don't think making the house more of a lightning rod is worth it.

As for your door, you can be guaranteed of a microburst now this summer to test its limits. However the peak of the wind will miss the channel so you won't record more than a 52mph gust.

Starting to think I'm done for significant events.

What a downright disgraceful season with an unimaginable, absolutely surreal three week period if that is indeed the case.

Disappointing (maybe even wicked disappointing) finish for sure, but when you're 110"+ YTD, "disgraceful" is a little harsh IMO.

Something could pop before 4/3 though.

Late April is a pretty safe bet.  Some folks say there is only 10 inches of ice in spots and others still have 30".

I've selected April 25th.

Going into May totally depends on cloudcover and wind and has little to do with temps.  No amount of cold is going to help with 14 hours of sunlight and a peak sun angle of 62 degrees.

The May iceouts are kinda lame anyways... the solid lake cover is long gone, it just means the ice drifted and compacted into one of the bays.  2001 was the last May iceout.  The lake was 99% clear but the docks of Wolfeboro were blocked.

I think it feels nice out in the sun, even though the thermo reads 32f.

Yup.  Sun's going to do what the sun's going to do.  Melting occurring on the edges at 22.0/1 here at the Pit.

The season was three weeks long. I didn't have one 6" or greater warning event outside of that three week window.

Did the 2006 Cardinals have a bad season? Basically .500 meh for 162 games...almost choked away the crappy NL Central lead with a week to go. Then they stroll through the playoffs as a wild card for a WS title. They had a 3 week run when it mattered and you did too. And even though this month hasn't been very snowy for us (you and I) it's been frigid since late Jan so the deep pack has been with us for almost 2 months. 6"+ events don't normally grow on trees either. I would've killed (figuratively not literally) for that run you or Scott had. I haven't had a 2ft event since Mar 2001.

Did the 2006 Cardinals have a bad season? Basically .500 meh for 162 games...almost choked away the crappy NL Central lead with a week to go. Then they stroll through the playoffs as a wild card for a WS title. They had a 3 week run when it mattered and you did too. And even though this month hasn't been very snowy for us (you and I) it's been frigid since late Jan so the deep pack has been with us for almost 2 months. 6"+ events don't normally grow on trees either. I would've killed (figuratively not literally) for that run you or Scott had. I haven't had a 2ft event since Mar 2001.

That was a ridiculous and other-worldly 3 week period...but of a 4-month winter Dec 1 - March 31st, I can understand where he's coming from. Its nice to have events to track from time to time and winter really drags out when you've got like 12 other weeks of very little excitement.

That was a ridiculous and other-worldly 3 week period...but of a 4-month winter Dec 1 - March 31st, I can understand where he's coming from. Its nice to have events to track from time to time and winter really drags out when you've got like 12 other weeks of very little excitement.

There's been plenty of S Coast specials to track. ;)

At least he had the Jan blizz band. I was like a loon fart away from it blowing my way.

That is fascinating actually. 100"+ season but no 6"+ event outside of a single 21 day period.

I think that data shows 2 things extremely well.

1 obviously that was a amazing never before seen period here

2 SNE is Not THAT snowy of a location for snow lovers. No real snowy place can set a record with 3 weeks worth of snow and no warning events outside of that. Grant me that i understand "real snowy" is subjective but i mean for those that can allow themselves to see this perspective for a moment, it is what it is. But in life i understand how you must see things from the best perspective to enjoy more happiness easier. So most accept their annual snow average as good enough and grade from there.(Thankfulky i can satiate myself w trips to NVT or Whites)

2 SNE is Not THAT snowy of a location for snow lovers. No real snowy place can set a record with 3 weeks worth of snow and no warning events outside of that. Grant me that i understand "real snowy" is subjective but i mean for those that can allow themselves to see this perspective for a moment, it is what it is. But in life i understand how you must see things from the best perspective to enjoy more happiness easier. So most accept their annual snow average as good enough and grade from there.(Thankfulky i can satiate myself w trips to NVT or Whites)

I dunno pickles...100 inches is damned snowy for climo anywhere.

I bet we got 120-140 in a 3 week period upstate ny in. 1966.

2 SNE is Not THAT snowy of a location for snow lovers. No real snowy place can set a record with 3 weeks worth of snow and no warning events outside of that. Grant me that i understand "real snowy" is subjective but i mean for those that can allow themselves to see this perspective for a moment, it is what it is. But in life i understand how you must see things from the best perspective to enjoy more happiness easier. So most accept their annual snow average as good enough and grade from there.

We perform pretty well given our lack of latitude and elevated topography. Snow wise, it get's tough in the CP in SRI and CT and certainly areas south of there. I think eastern MA CP snow climo is just enough to be enjoyable most years.

Archived