Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We talked about this way back in the fall.. But this really is the Midwest version New England style of last year. All waterways still iced over, ice fishing ongoing.. Regionwide snowpack.. WBN temps... No little red buds yet appearing on trees.. This is going to be one of our latest springs in history.. Not even debatable at this point

Since 2002 I've been keeping track of when the forsythia's are in bloom (not just budding) and last year tied with the latest that they had bloomed (April 24th).  We're actually a few tenths of a degree cooler than last March but the month isn't over so we'll see.  We have snow on the ground ahead of last year so that could help.

It's been a really mixed maple season.  Last week we finally had good sugaring weather but the trees just slowly ran.  I had a better run on Monday but now things are frozen again.  I've never had such a late season in 23 years!

Nice observation Ginxy. Those streamers are a ways off shore. Back in December those were popping up in Boston Harbor.

In other news, the 18zGFS has a -24C at 850mb over Vermont on April 3rd. That would be special lol. Highs near zero at the summits in April?

no doubt the lapse rates would be crazy with the April Sun

it's a part of the process, definitely not bothering me. I like seasonal change if I didn't I would live in San Diego

Yeah can't really ask much more for our latitude, especially me being on the coast. I could get used to 40+ inch depths tho lol, i have a sickness.

I miss this kind of depth

14j6b9l.jpg

rrqqlx.jpg

15 is total meh after that, but it's prob in the 95%+ile plus for march here haha

I had the Fortune to be in Maryland right after our little jackpot. Came back and there is just the odd dirty drift or plow pile, and a lot of grass. Didn't have to watch it die. And the whole time we drove, we had the most snow. Winter had a good run, and even if we only get a couple this weekend, it'll be pretty again. I won't lie though, I'm greedy. I want a nor'easter and then a violent snap into warm Temps.

Yeah can't really ask much more for our latitude, especially me being on the coast. I could get used to 40+ inch depths tho lol, i have a sickness.

I miss this kind of depth

14j6b9l.jpg

rrqqlx.jpg

15 is total meh after that, but it's prob in the 95%+ile plus for march here haha

how much have you had this year?

Notice how far off shore the streamers are, normally the cold air flow across a warmer ocean would create these streamers closer in. That's a cold ocean this year, no wonder we have had so many south wind snows this year.

I've never seen the number of S wind snow events as I've seen this year.

GOES01152015078HzO3Sp.jpg

Archived