• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Congratulations on #1, Boston

40/70 Benchmark

I have no idea how people are comparing 95-96 and this! I have absolutely Extensive and ExAUsting work on the best winters.

The only winter that deserves to beat this one for the whole region of Eastern SNE is 1947-1948. 1995-1996 had 1 20 day period of awesomeness. It was too much of 2004-2005's Snow then melt. For Boston, it's not even Remotely close.

I don't think anything does.

But if you want to talk about single periods of time, this one was relegated to one epic 23 day period for me.....dead ratter outside of that  snowFALL wise.....I get that we didn't have a huge thaw once the snow began.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For MBY, which was hit harder in 69/47-48/78 than Boston, and I was hit less this year, the way I have been deciding what winter stretch is better, is Literally Trade Block all the aspects, and see if I'd make the trade. Things like "Upgrade 24" storm to 36" storm", "8 less snow events", "10 Days less of 20" Snowpack". And put all the aspects together.

My main fear is that Notorious DIT will be calling for lol lies to 10 in late sept. You've been ruined down there.

We need to top off this winter now with some gangbuster big storm like the one we had on April 1 some years back. Would be great to add another 10-20" to secure this record. It's been an amazing run the past recent years with so much snow. Weenies will be complaining again next November but what a great run of seasons the last several years for Boston. Is it all weather with this seasonal records being broken so often or does climate change come into it somehow?

probably not in the short period since it was never done before,probably not in combination with the cold as that was never done before. Numbers like in 96 were high but there were many thaw days, even going into March was bare ground in 96 for many. Depth never recovered from the early Jan thaw.

All true but weenies are greedy and I guarantee some on here would still trade this winter in E SNE if they could experience a Tippy fantasy 50"+ winter hurricane.

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about a "grander scale".... I was speaking to impact over the eastern US as a whole.

I get that this season was better in eastern MA.

Jesus.

Blizzard of '78 was far worse here than the Superstorm, but which greatly impacted more people?

This season as a whole; though nothing like 96 for many north easterners was still a great winter for many. Every big city saw above average snowfall, even DC and I believe its great that most of us can feel great sharing in the excitement of Boston breaking the seasonal record. Heck even down here, 47" is nothing sneeze at. It's been a great second half of winter for almost everyone. Congrats again!

I've lived in SE Mass for my nearly 50 years except for a few years in the early 90s. My most memorable storm was the blizzard of '78. I do think that this winter as a whole however will be my most memorable for snowpack and cold. We had three snow events on S winds. That is unheard of here. It speaks to the the depth of the cold we experienced. Sustained deep snow depths with no melting are also something not experienced here in my lifetime. Finally the ice on Mt. Hope and Narragansett Bays were something I've not seen in my lifetime. In sum, we E Mass folks have just lived through something truly memorable that may not been seen again for generations.

S shore Takes the Cake

The Pictures out of that whole Blue hills to Marshfield Area were other worldly for a week or two.

snow fall wise

#1 by far for the South Shore,

#2 for the south coast, 04/05 is still #1, but maybe only 1 MECS away from equaling or surpassing it in certain areas.

snow/cold/depth persistence combo

may be #1 for both areas.

i still feel really sour about this winter....04-05 was almost as brutal but this winter hammered a larger area of ene...yes we had a lot of storms in a short period of time but most of them were long drawn out snoozefests....im kind of curious to know more about 47-48 and 68-69 area wide since snowman keeps mentioning them

i still feel really sour about this winter....04-05 was almost as brutal but this winter hammered a larger area of ene...yes we had a lot of storms in a short period of time but most of them were long drawn out snoozefests....im kind of curious to know more about 47-48 and 68-69 area wide since snowman keeps mentioning them

how much snow did your area receive this winter? Before feeling sour think about overall winter ..cold

.snow ..number of storms to track ..just my opinion ...

how much snow did your area receive this winter? Before feeling sour think about overall winter ..cold

Not every location is not going to have the same opinion on the winter, and likewise, not everyone is going to have a record winter all at once (except 1995-1996 haha).

For the acute area that got slaughtered for those 3-5 weeks in eastern SNE up through downeast Maine, this is bar none the best winter ever.

In a larger scale, 1995-1996 was amazing from DC to all the way up here in NNE. That will be that winter's calling...spreading of the wealth. But this one was like a concentrated dump of epic proportions over eastern SNE that will not be repeated.

Tells you how bad the drought is out there. Their climo is roughly 3 times what Boston got this year.

Yeah they average about 450 at Alpine Meadows. Even their crap years is usually like 250"...but this is like a 3 standard dev (or worse) snow winter for them.

relative to normal, about as above normal as you, fringed frequently, i could care less about cold, i avg 50 inches....65 is nbd...no storm legitly over a foot....i liked last year with 9 less inches way way better and so did a TON of folks out this way.

Yeah they average about 450 at Alpine Meadows. Even their crap years is usually like 250"...but this is like a 3 standard dev (or worse) snow winter for them.

A friend of mine (who used to be the lead Mansfield groomer), has been one of the winch snowcat operators at Alpine now for a few winters.

He sent this picture while grooming the other day from the top of Alpine Meadows...the caption was something like we thought it couldn't get worse than last year, but it did this winter.

They can't even open half the mountain, as you can see in the left side all that bare ground and patchy cover...at the time when snow depths should be deepest. Back in March 2011 I think it was, there was over 20 feet of snow on the ground over there where it's patchy cover.

Look for the numbers for early 1994.  I was at Alpine and Squaw at that time and there was well in excess of 300" settled on the ground.  Those cliffs were just super steep snowfields with some fun rock hopping.  I skied several days at Alpine, Kirkwood and Heavenly that were belly button to neck deep that winter.  It was FKNA awesome :clap:  

A friend of mine (who used to be the lead Mansfield groomer), has been one of the winch snowcat operators at Alpine now for a few winters.

He sent this picture while grooming the other day from the top of Alpine Meadows...the caption was something like we thought it couldn't get worse than last year, but it did this winter.

They can't even open half the mountain, as you can see in the left side all that bare ground and patchy cover...at the time when snow depths should be deepest. Back in March 2011 I think it was, there was over 20 feet of snow on the ground over there where it's patchy cover.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've seen more snow there in June.  I'm visiting Tahoe in early April, looks like I lose  :frostymelt:

Archived