SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Bye Bye TWC, Hello AccuWx

eurojosh

Got this from Verizon overnight....

Important FiOS TV Content Information

Dear Valued Verizon Customer, 

Verizon’s agreements to carry The Weather Channel and Weather Scan have expired, and have not been renewed.  In today’s environment, customers are increasingly accessing weather information not only from their TV but from a variety of online sources and apps.  Verizon is therefore pleased to launch the new AccuWeather Network, which will be available on FiOS® TV on channel 119/619 (HD) and on our free FiOS Mobile App starting March 10, 2015.  Verizon will also provide the FiOS TV WeatherBug “widget” application, which features hyper-local weather, on FiOS TV channel 49. WeatherBug can also be launched by pressing the “widget” button on the FiOS TV remote.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

TWC is no loss. They should call it The Business Channel. All they care about is ca$h. They run a fine business. I'll just read AmEx if I need weather info. 

Yeah, no big loss. I miss it like an old friend that became a junkie or something, it's no longer what it used to be. Pay your respects and move on.

I have FiOS and I don't care. I'm honestly not sure why I even have cable anymore as I rarely ever watch TV. I've had the TV on twice in the last two weeks......The UK-Florida bb game on Saturday and the MD-Neb bb game on Sunday. Most cable tv is garbage and there are so many other online options via Netflix, hulu, etc.

I have FiOS and I don't care. I'm honestly not sure why I even have cable anymore as I rarely ever watch TV. I've had the TV on twice in the last two weeks......The UK-Florida bb game on Saturday and the MD-Neb bb game on Sunday. Most cable tv is garbage and there are so many other online options via Netflix, hulu, etc.

Get Fire TV.

Saw this too and have to agree. They are just not what they used to be or could be. And now that they are gonE, even trying to make a comeback is almost impossible as they are so tarnished. They have a few stars but not a real weather channel. I wanted the channel when I subscribed to FIOS but never really watched it nor was I compelled to watch it.

My son likes the show Prospectors so that kinda sucks. Hopefully twc sells it to another channel.  

I kind of think TWC will be back sooner rather than later. Too many people like TWC and their programming - even if us weather geeks don't care for it. 

I kind of think TWC will be back sooner rather than later. Too many people like TWC and their programming - even if us weather geeks don't care for it. 

TWC is owned by NBC and NBC and Verizon are content competitors so it makes sense Verizon would put stop putting money in a competitor's pocket. If and when Accuwx branches out and starts to compete with Verizon, they'll be gone too, but that will be a long time from now I suspect (if it ever happens).

TWC is owned by NBC and NBC and Verizon are content competitors so it makes sense Verizon would put stop putting money in a competitor's pocket. If and when Accuwx branches out and starts to compete with Verizon, they'll be gone too, but that will be a long time from now I suspect (if it ever happens).

What cable service does NBC provide?

This is the new trend in operator fee negotiations.  The MVPD's, make a big public statement about dropping a channel that they are in contract negotiations with as a negotiating tactic. DirecTV did it to TWC last year and as part of the new contract they got TWC to cut back on some of its reality show content.  DISH did it to Fox News recently.  Something tells me that TWC is not gone forever.

This is the new trend in operator fee negotiations.  The MVPD's, make a big public statement about dropping a channel that they are in contract negotiations with as a negotiating tactic. DirecTV did it to TWC last year and as part of the new contract they got TWC to cut back on some of its reality show content.  DISH did it to Fox News recently.  Something tells me that TWC is not gone forever.

I'd be very surprised if TWC comes back to Verizon. Like I said in an earlier post, NBC owns TWC and Comcast owns NBC now. Every dollar that Verizon pays to have TWC programming finds its way into Comcast's pocket, their biggest competitor. I guess TWC could pay Verizon, but that would be one he!! of a crazy good deal for Verizon. 

I'd be very surprised if TWC comes back to Verizon. Like I said in an earlier post, NBC owns TWC and Comcast owns NBC now. Every dollar that Verizon pays to have TWC programming finds its way into Comcast's pocket, their biggest competitor. I guess TWC could pay Verizon, but that would be one he!! of a crazy good deal for Verizon.

You are correct that Comcast owns NBC, which in turn owns TWC, but if Verizon has a good enough deal with TWC, like more spots for their ads, both via broadcast and mobile devices or other streaming devices, and the Nielsen ratings (or other addressable targeting options like Rentrak) are high enough, then Verizon can monetize the content at a high enough rate to not be as concerned about which entity, Comcast in this case, is the final recipient of revenue from the operator fees. I still could be dead wrong that TWC comes back, if Verizon can't make a good enough deal, but there are revenue models that make its eventual return feasible.

The media industry is a strange one. Three years ago everyone was talking about how the market would become super fragmented. Now they are all talking about how the market is being consolidated into a few large players. I could go on and on about the market and how cord-cutters, or cord-nevers, Net neutrality and other things affect it, but that belongs on a different forum. ;)

You are correct that Comcast owns NBC, which in turn owns TWC, but if Verizon has a good enough deal with TWC, like more spots for their ads, both via broadcast and mobile devices or other streaming devices, and the Nielsen ratings (or other addressable targeting options like Rentrak) are high enough, then Verizon can monetize the content at a high enough rate to not be as concerned about which entity, Comcast in this case, is the final recipient of revenue from the operator fees. I still could be dead wrong that TWC comes back, if Verizon can't make a good enough deal, but there are revenue models that make its eventual return feasible.

The media industry is a strange one. Three years ago everyone was talking about how the market would become super fragmented. Now they are all talking about how the market is being consolidated into a few large players. I could go on and on about the market and how cord-cutters, or cord-nevers, Net neutrality and other things affect it, but that belongs on a different forum. ;)

Strange industry it is. Seems like we agree that Verizon needs a great deal to take them back. I've got a couple of bucks in a Media & Telecomm fund that has 4.5% in Comcast stock and 4.4% in Verizon, so for selfish reasons I hate to see those two fight it out!   lol

Only wx complaint I have against Accuwx so far is they need to put current local wx on the sidebar or bottom scroll, but there will be a learning curve. I did see Mark Mancuso on it, which brought back some old memories.

You all remind me of reviewers of books on Amazon who never read the books they review. I have been pleased with the meteorology education shows the Weather Channel broadcasts. I'm no fan of prospectors and agree it's better suited for something like the Discovery Channel, but why not try to expand interests to wider audiences? I'm very disappointed to lose TWC live weather coverage over a channel that will start repeating identical weather coverage like the already lame digital channels!

Got this from Verizon overnight....

Important FiOS TV Content Information

Dear Valued Verizon Customer, 

Verizon’s agreements to carry The Weather Channel and Weather Scan have expired, and have not been renewed.  In today’s environment, customers are increasingly accessing weather information not only from their TV but from a variety of online sources and apps.  Verizon is therefore pleased to launch the new AccuWeather Network, which will be available on FiOS® TV on channel 119/619 (HD) and on our free FiOS Mobile App starting March 10, 2015.  Verizon will also provide the FiOS TV WeatherBug “widget” application, which features hyper-local weather, on FiOS TV channel 49. WeatherBug can also be launched by pressing the “widget” button on the FiOS TV remote.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

What sucks about this message is Verizon seems to be implying that there is less need for live weather coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived