Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are some of your seasonal snow totals out there? Looks like an impressive season all in all...

54.5" in Bellefonte. Only thing that was lacking was a big storm. Largest was 7.1" and that fell over 36 hours. The 65 straight days with snow cover was very impressive.

Well, you beat me to it. I was going to mention the prospects for a coating to up to 2" of snow out in the Laurels tonight. Wouldn't surprise me to see someone get 0.25" out in Franklin and Adams either. The beat goes on for winter. 

Pretty decent burst of snow went through a bit ago and put a fresh 0.8" of fluffy snow down. Just enough to crack 60" for the season (60.6").

Beyond annoyed at this persistent cold. I keep looking for a silver lining and all I get is endless cold shots into April. Since when did we become northern Maine?

The last two years have felt like that. Some loved 4th of July 2014, but we got down into the 40s that night with a stiff wind. It was miserably cold for the summer and not my cup of tea. I had to wear a fleece and we were around a huge bonfire. Great for October but plain weird for July. Very cloudy, cold, gloomy weather here and winter will not end. Strange frigid pattern we have locked into.

This cold weather just sucks.This is unlike other March's of the past. I just hope it warms up soon and stays on the warmer side of average.

Im not sure where you live in PA but March has been cold the last couple years here in Blair County.  In fact last year we really didnt warm up nicely until May. Easter was i believe on the 20th of April last yr and it was cold Easter day. I went to a couple Pirate gms in April and May and it was quite chilly in the evenings. Lets hope April has a nice turn around to the warmer side this year

I read the reason we had a cooler than normal summer last year was because all five Great Lakes were completely frozen over and it took forever to thaw. Ive read this year the lakes ice is even thicker than last winter and it will be a while until they thaw.  Perhaps we are looking at another cool wet summer??

All this cold talk promted me to compare my weather station records to last year. As cold as last year was I am averaging almost a full degree colder this year so far. In fact I was not able to find 2 consecutive years initial 3 months (Jan, Feb, Mar) as cold as 2014 & 2015 in the 100 year weather history maintained on the M.U. weather station archives. It can only get warmer from here out.

Beyond annoyed at this persistent cold. I keep looking for a silver lining and all I get is endless cold shots into April. Since when did we become northern Maine?

I don't think Eric Horst (or any other reasonable person for that matter) thought that this year's Jan-March period would almost mirror last year's in terms of temp departures. After the almost summer-like March 2012, it seems that March has suddenly become a winter month again.

I read the reason we had a cooler than normal summer last year was because all five Great Lakes were completely frozen over and it took forever to thaw. Ive read this year the lakes ice is even thicker than last winter and it will be a while until they thaw.  Perhaps we are looking at another cool wet summer??

I think it's the very persistent -EPO ridge that has been more or less locked in most of the time in the past 2 years. The same pattern that's bringing a horrendous drought to California is keeping the east cool and stormy.

I'm not a fan of 40s and drizzle in April, but last summer was amazing and I'll gladly take a repeat.

All this cold talk promted me to compare my weather station records to last year. As cold as last year was I am averaging almost a full degree colder this year so far. In fact I was not able to find 2 consecutive years initial 3 months (Jan, Feb, Mar) as cold as 2014 & 2015 in the 100 year weather history maintained on the M.U. weather station archives. It can only get warmer from here out.

hah... ninja'd

Up to 63 here but not sure if we can really get storms to fire as it's getting a bit late now.

You must have some sun down that way. Up here we are locked into the overcast and the current temperature (and the high for the day) is only 50 degrees. Even worse where I work in Hazleton. Overcast with dense fog and 47.

Anyone rooting on continued cold can expect a swift banning at this point. Just awful. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow's warm up, however brief.

:thumbsup:

The last two years have felt like that. Some loved 4th of July 2014, but we got down into the 40s that night with a stiff wind. It was miserably cold for the summer and not my cup of tea. I had to wear a fleece and we were around a huge bonfire. Great for October but plain weird for July. Very cloudy, cold, gloomy weather here and winter will not end. Strange frigid pattern we have locked into.

The worst part about last July 4th was how that "cold" day was surrounded by good summer temps. It was "brutal" as far as summer goes. We had 30+ mph winds to go along with it, and we were all sitting around in long pants and hoodies.

7/1 - 94

7/2 - 94

7/3 - 92

7/4 - 76

7/5 - 90

7/6 - 85

7/7 - 95

Archived