• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

Steady snow. No idea for accumulation as I'm at work.380N/80 closed in areas due to accidents though.

Good thing I didn't take that second run over to Andover, NJ this afternoon. Thank God the manufacturer was not forcing drivers to go back out. I'm safely home now, but I saw numerous accidents on my way back to the plant from my first run, and from what I hear I-81 was shut down due to a military vehicle jacknife at the 133 mile marker.

I got home and measured and have 3 inches on paved surfaces and still snowing moderately.

I-81 at the Tamaqua/McAdoo exit.

post-317-0-94078100-1426873286_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess CTP didn't believe my snow total cuz they skipped right past mine when they put the totals on the latest PNS statement. Actually they skipped  mine twice, the first when I posted about reaching the 6" mark late this morning. I'm calling them next time...

I guess CTP didn't believe my snow total cuz they skipped right past mine when they put the totals on the latest PNS statement. Actually they skipped  mine twice, the first when I posted about reaching the 6" mark late this morning. I'm calling them next time...

They probably dont believe you if theyre listening to those morons on WTAJ 10. They said Altoona had 4". I measured exactly 6" around 2PM. Theyre clueless

They probably dont believe you if theyre listening to those morons on WTAJ 10. They said Altoona had 4". I measured exactly 6" around 2PM. Theyre clueless

Haha maybe if they measured now there would be 4", the snow has shrunk a good bit since ending this afternoon. 

The PNS had a 6" amount reported in Roaring Spring around 1150AM (around when I posted about hitting 6" here) and 5.9" in Hollidaysburg reported at 1230PM. Several other 5 and 6" amounts were reported in surrounding counties as well. Can't imagine a 7.3" total to be out of the realm to not be used. Oh well I measured what I measured and I have pictorial evidence to support it lol.  I'm a trained spotter too, I didn't like when they did away with E-Spotter and just lumped all the reporting with the regular social media sources.

At any rate I'm quite happy with this storm today and will be looking forward to getting things melted and dried back out again. Looks pretty chilly again for a good portion of next week after the brief warm-up ahead of the cold front tomorrow. 

Good thing I didn't take that second run over to Andover, NJ this afternoon. Thank God the manufacturer was not forcing drivers to go back out. I'm safely home now, but I saw numerous accidents on my way back to the plant from my first run, and from what I hear I-81 was shut down due to a military vehicle jacknife at the 133 mile marker.

I got home and measured and have 3 inches on paved surfaces and still snowing moderately.

I-81 at the Tamaqua/McAdoo exit.

attachicon.gif20150320_125750.jpg

What time did you take that picture? It must've been really snowing to get the roads that bad if it was the middle of the day. I don't think the main highways around this area ever got quite that bad this morning. 

Someone please explain to me how MDT recorded their snow today?

At precisely 4:27pm, they issued a public information statement that said Harrisburg International had 2.0 inches per ASOS as of 1:56 pm.

Now, with the 5pm climate summary report, they recorded only 1.6 inches.

MDT still reported snow with 1 mile visibility between 2 and 5 pm and somehow less snow was recorded 3 hours later?

Hopefully this will be changed with the final climate update overnight.

What time did you take that picture? It must've been really snowing to get the roads that bad if it was the middle of the day. I don't think the main highways around this area ever got quite that bad this morning.

Between 12:30 and 1:00 pm. It was snowing quite hard, but the temp at that location, which is between 1,500 and 1,800 ft was 27 at the time as well.

Someone please explain to me how MDT recorded their snow today?

At precisely 4:27pm, they issued a public information statement that said Harrisburg International had 2.0 inches per ASOS as of 1:56 pm.

Now, with the 5pm climate summary report, they recorded only 1.6 inches.

MDT still reported snow with 1 mile visibility between 2 and 5 pm and somehow less snow was recorded 3 hours later?

Hopefully this will be changed with the final climate update overnight.

ASOS reports are only reported as whole numbers.  The observer likely is who submitted the official 1.6" that was probably being rounded.  If it was 2" at one point it could have compacted to 1.6" for the 6 hour measurement.

There was certainly less downtown in the city (maybe an inch at best in biggest grassy areas) and just driving the last mile to my house there was quite a noticeable difference.  I came home to 2.9" of a very sticky snow.  So sticky that the way it accumulated on the rim of my rain gauge I won't get an accurate liquid equivalent.  Luckily I use two gauges so I may have a little bit better luck with the second one.

Haha maybe if they measured now there would be 4", the snow has shrunk a good bit since ending this afternoon. 

The PNS had a 6" amount reported in Roaring Spring around 1150AM (around when I posted about hitting 6" here) and 5.9" in Hollidaysburg reported at 1230PM. Several other 5 and 6" amounts were reported in surrounding counties as well. Can't imagine a 7.3" total to be out of the realm to not be used. Oh well I measured what I measured and I have pictorial evidence to support it lol.  I'm a trained spotter too, I didn't like when they did away with E-Spotter and just lumped all the reporting with the regular social media sources.

At any rate I'm quite happy with this storm today and will be looking forward to getting things melted and dried back out again. Looks pretty chilly again for a good portion of next week after the brief warm-up ahead of the cold front tomorrow. 

It was a nice storm. Enjoyed seeing the snow rates this high for the first day of spring. Also wont be real disappointed to see it depart rather quickly. Looks like temps will rebound nicely midweek. Any thoughts on snow next weekend? Had heard there was a possiblity. Good pics

Sometime after I went to bed last night, we picked up another quarter inch of snow from a squall/shower. I suppose that takes my "event" total to 4.75". This was the second largest snowfall of the 2014/2015 season. The largest was 5 inches back on January 24th.

Had a high of only 48 here today, but still, even with limited sun, we lost about 3 of the 4.7 we got. For once, I was able to get a liquid measurement from a snowfall, and yesterday's event came out to 0.52" here which, if my math is right, came out to a 9:1 ratio.

What are some of your seasonal snow totals out there? Looks like an impressive season all in all...

Currently at 40.5" with 26.5" being average here. Definately a backloaded winter. With 14.1" so far in March. I guess it's pretty basic that when the cold came so did the snow. We normally get so much precip that falls as rain during the winter 'round these parts.

What are some of your seasonal snow totals out there? Looks like an impressive season all in all...

51.5" at State College; 0.3" less than last year (assuming we get no more snow). I wouldn't necessarily say that it has been impressive with respect to snowfall here. However, we had a couple interesting events such as the arctic squalls in mid-February and the inverted trough on 2/27. We also had that long-duration snow event associated with the New England blizzard on 26-27 January.

51.5" at State College; 0.3" less than last year (assuming we get no more snow). I wouldn't necessarily say that it has been impressive with respect to snowfall here. However, we had a couple interesting events such as the arctic squalls in mid-February and the inverted trough on 2/27. We also had that long-duration snow event associated with the New England blizzard on 26-27 January.

The squalls were definitely one of the highlights. Also the long duration snowpack. I've come to understand that we're not likely to get a foot plus like the 95 corridor sometimes gets, so just having a lot on the ground is some small consolation for that haha

59.8" is the seasonal total I have here, a bit above average but nothing crazy snow wise as average is about 50ish being at the foot of the Allegheny Front. The 7.3" on Friday here was the biggest snowfall of the season (and pretty much all of it went away yesterday), so we didn't have any real big hitters from a storm standpoint but it was very impressive that the ridiculous cold kept a solid snowpack from about mid January through the first week or so of March. All in all pretty satisfied with this winter, just want things to dry out some now haha. 

Archived