Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52° and sunny here...feels great.  South facing exposed hillsides melting out nicely this afternoon while north facing or shaded areas still holding 6-10" with a solid 3" liquid equivalent.

Beautiful out today, had to crack the car window to cool off. The melting's been quick but not a 50 degree rainstorm kind of quick, which is nice. I'm still holding out for a late season snow storm but I certainly won't complain if we torch to 60+ later on this month.

Beautiful out today, had to crack the car window to cool off. The melting's been quick but not a 50 degree rainstorm kind of quick, which is nice. I'm still holding out for a late season snow storm but I certainly won't complain if we torch to 60+ later on this month.

Slow melt is good.  I grabbed a core with my 4" gauge yesterday on the north side of my apartment. Over 3" of liquid still sitting there in 8-10" of snow.

I must say I'm fairly impressed that it actually warmed up decently over the weekend and especially today. Last two nights were kinda weird, Sat night didn't even go below freezing as winds really kicked up and kept temps up... Last night fell below freezing early and the winds kicked up and mixed again with the arrival of precip and the b-layer temps were too warm for snow.

Orderly snowmelt the next few days should deplete a significant portion of the water laden snowpack outside of the higher elevations and deep interior parts of PA (North-central, higher Laurels, Poconos). System on Saturday still fairly interesting but right now looks to be likely mostly rain if not all rain for us. Euro has generally been maintaining a warmer solution while the GFS has been keeping a high above us to provide a potentially stronger CAD scenario. Below average temps might return next week, which could provide an opportunity for another snow event with the right setup as it looks to be fairly active storm wise. 

it is going away slowly. the worse part is the dog keeps getting his leash stuck on the parts that haven't melted yet. Next time I'll do a better job clearing his path out. :)

Speaking of dogs, I've been pretty good at cleaning up the dog's poop as she does it, but there were times that it wasn't, especially after I went to work, and the wife put her out. All the "surprises" are starting to reveal themselves now...

Did some measurements of the pack around the yard, I was surprised at the depth that remains. 8-10" in the backyard and 4-8" in the front yard. The lower yard has some bare areas starting to show along the woods line but depth is generally about the same as the front. 

Did some measurements of the pack around the yard, I was surprised at the depth that remains. 8-10" in the backyard and 4-8" in the front yard. The lower yard has some bare areas starting to show along the woods line but depth is generally about the same as the front.

Average depth here was 4" this morn at 7am. Def taking a beating with rain and fog today.

Voyager I saw your post before you took it down, MD 41 looks like it would be fine for a truck. Oakleigh Drive that goes down to the Big Lots has a small bridge with a weight limit right before you turn to go into the parking lot (looks like 25 tons for a full sized truck)

post-1507-0-27885700-1426027183_thumb.pn

I need your help everyone.  My debate team won city championships and is trying to go to nationals but the only way we can send them is with the free spot given out by the Baltimore Urban Debate League.  In their infinite wisdom they decided to whore themselves out for publicity by opening the spot up for a vote competition on facebook.  The team with the most likes by 9am tomorrow gets the spot.  My team is at a huge disadvantage since my school is very small compared to some of the other teams.  Please vote for the Carver debate team, they really are great students.  Link anyone you can, Thank you

https://www.facebook...568861673382964

I need your help everyone.  My debate team won city championships and is trying to go to nationals but the only way we can send them is with the free spot given out by the Baltimore Urban Debate League.  In their infinite wisdom they decided to whore themselves out for publicity by opening the spot up for a vote competition on facebook.  The team with the most likes by 9am tomorrow gets the spot.  My team is at a huge disadvantage since my school is very small compared to some of the other teams.  Please vote for the Carver debate team, they really are great students.  Link anyone you can, Thank you

Voted!

It is butt ugly outside.. moderate rain, 35ºF, and can't see a hand in front of your face foggy. This is why I'd rather it be cold and snowy til March 31, or a torch if the pattern's available.

Next week's cool down on the latest runs seems to be canceling, do you agree? Think it's safe to say down here we're out of any major snow threats for the season.

Voted - Good luck.

Winter is not over yet. The last few days have been nice and a lot of our

snow has melted, but this winter will not go away quietly.

The Euro Op at 12z today produced 3-6 Inches of snow across all of CTP territory from Friday pm in to Saturday am. The ensemble mean ranged from 1 to 3 inches and the control run brought 2-4 inches through CTP.

The GFS and GGEM a few days ago had shown colder looks for this time period, but then backed off this idea. We will have to see of the Euro leads the way back to a colder solution for this weekend. Then, our attention will turn to the pattern change back to colder and stormier towards the 20th, which could bring us more opportunities for snow before March ends.

Starting to get some decent sunshine now. It will be interesting to see how warm it gets today; 850 mb temperatures are currently around 6C. With downsloping winds and sun we would mix up to 850 mb, translating to ~20C at the surface. However, we should see a dry frontal passage with 850 mb temperatures cooling to around 2C by 00z tonight.

The 06z 4 km NAM seems too low with 2m temperatures, only getting into the upper 40s here. It has been too cold for afternoon highs the last several days, perhaps a result of errors in the low-level radiation propoerties of the snowpack.

Winter is not over yet. The last few days have been nice and a lot of our

snow has melted, but this winter will not go away quietly.

The Euro Op at 12z today produced 3-6 Inches of snow across all of CTP territory from Friday pm in to Saturday am. The ensemble mean ranged from 1 to 3 inches and the control run brought 2-4 inches through CTP.

The GFS and GGEM a few days ago had shown colder looks for this time period, but then backed off this idea. We will have to see of the Euro leads the way back to a colder solution for this weekend. Then, our attention will turn to the pattern change back to colder and stormier towards the 20th, which could bring us more opportunities for snow before March ends.

With highs in the mid 50s and a low above 40 Friday into Saturday, I don't see the Euro being correct for this weekend's system.

northern tier of pa and ny state have a chance for a

Yea no chance of snow this weekend, I think luckily pattern stays pretty nice now(a few below average days possible).

little snow scranton south...forget it!

Yea no chance of snow this weekend, I think luckily pattern stays pretty nice now(a few below average days possible).

Archived