• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

Being this time of the year with a -NAO and -EPO with a +PNA and a confluent jet I see a lot of potential for next weekend.  In addition there is a lot of snow pack over the source region so the air will be cold. Ever conceivable ingredient for a major snowstorm.  All we need is the correct timing for things to get together.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gives the city 1-3 with more to the north. It still shows a stormy pattern. Just need the cold air. GFS tries to get blocking going.

The GFS habitually flip/flops back and forth. The pattern is still spectacular for March but it will take more time for the details to be worked out.

WX/PT

Now less than 7 days away from the threat, (look like start late Friday night )verbatim in 6z 2-4/3-5" before a changeover, with sne really cashing in....but details don't matter much now, threat still there

Euro?

00z Op looks like a bit of snow N+W of NYC then rain, mostly rain elsewhere.

Guest Pamela

6z Global does continue to bring chances of significant snow into the area over the next 10 days / 240 hours:

post-747-0-39982300-1425738475_thumb.gif

Guest Pamela

Obviously hard to say what will happen at the coast...but over interior CT & Massachusetts...given the protracted cold & ample moisture...probably looking at a very snowy couple of weeks / balance of March in SNE.  Probably need to include the LHV in that equation. 

Obviously hard to say what will happen at the coast...but over interior CT & Massachusetts...given the protracted cold & ample moisture...probably looking at a very snowy couple of weeks / balance of March in SNE.  Probably need to include the LHV in that equation. 

And the NYC metro....hopefully

The long range models look like March 1967 is walking in the door after this week.  The models seemed to have a better grasp of the system last evening, they will go back to the 15 inches of snow on the 12Z, I bet.  This coming week is the last above freezing days until sometime in April.  Let's deal with it.  The GEFS are frigid from 3/13 to 3/26, with highs 20-26 degrees. It will be 20-25 below normal for many days folks. I think spring waits until 4/18, my date the pattern changes.  The Feb pattern is here full force for another 4-6 weeks after an excuse of a relaxation this coming week.

Guess: March 2015 total snowfall for LI 30-38 inches 40 percent confidence.

Temp: -13.8 below average, will outdo Feb neg. departure. 60 percent confidence.

Guess: April 2015 total snowfall for LI 13-16 inches

Temp -11.4 below average

Are the red taggers biting on this ???

MJO 7-8 - excellent set up

-EPO very negative - outstanding for constant Arctic highs

+PNA through Boise, Id

NAO even going neutral

Cold SST

Cryosphere right here

It will look like PEI, NS by the time 3/31 gets here.

My scorned upon theory of leaf out around Memorial Day and mall piles to early June is happening folks, it is happening this year, you'll see...... If one of these two things does happen, please remember that.

My gracious!! Quite extreme! There's still plenty of potential for next weekend and beyond, that's all I can really say at this point. The models will continue to wobble around a little for the next day or two and then gradually move toward a viable solution.

WX/PT

Looking at the forecast for the next 7-10 looks mostly near normal for this time of year.

There are no big time warmups but it won't be unseasonably cold either.

The snowpack should experience a nice gradual meltdown with most of it gone in less than week outside shady spots and obviously those massive piles.

PT ,  jump in here as you the first one who said  -NO WARM  up .

Guy has been en fuego all winter .

There's a three day semi-warm-up. Tues, Wed, Thurs morning. Then I think most of the remainder of the month will be colder than normal but perhaps not as extremely colder than normal as all of February was. But cold enough that any storms particularly those coming out of the southern stream have to be watched carefully and potential is there for additional snow events. But really, this warm-up is to normal, not really above normal (maybe one day above, maybe) and quite temporary. The -EPO is a tough nut to crack and if we get ANY kind of +PNA with any north Atlantic blocking, look out!!

WX/PT

Not sure final outcome of GFS yet, but sped this thing up, now a late Thursday night/Friday start to any event.

The Sat - Sun storm is there . The GFS sees some CAD at 150 , snows on the front and changes over . Watch the Canadian , it may look better in the N Atlantic as we need confluence to push down out of New England

The Sat - Sun storm is there . The GFS sees some CAD at 150 , snows on the front and changes over . Watch the Canadian , it may look better in the N Atlantic as we need confluence to push down out of New England

The overall looks is ridiculous. Huge arctic highs (morphing into a large banana high in a good spot), and a huge amount of moisture streaming out of the gulf into them, then a coastal takes over eventually. Really overall huge potential, we'll see if we can get a little colder look in over the next few days...

The overall looks is ridiculous. Huge arctic highs (morphing into a large banana high in a good spot), and a huge amount of moisture streaming out of the gulf into them, then a coastal takes over eventually. Really overall huge potential, we'll see if we can get a little colder look in over the next few days...

Good chance of a prolonged snow to rain to snow event out of this with perhaps some significant snows on the back-end.

We still have to see the details get worked out over the next 4-5 days.

WX/PT

What days are we looking at for this?

Timing uncertain but probably the 15th-16th though it could arrive as early as the 13th or 14th and depart as late as the 17th. Sorry I cannot be more specific at this time as timing will depend on blocking, confluence, the western ridge or lack of, etc, etc, etc.

WX/PT

Good chance of a prolonged snow to rain to snow event out of this with perhaps some significant snows on the back-end.

WX/PT

PT I agree . I like the fact that ridge is rolling right on through , it will force the cut off  LP to exit to the S of the area . We just need enough confluence bleeding down from New England and it  will create a nice Baroclinic zone and turn this colder as it progresses .

The models are already sniffing the CAD earlier in the evolution so it will depend on how much of a push S the cold air can sag .

WX/PT

I don't see back-end snows with this. SLP remains relatively weak, and it most certainly will in this setup. However, I think the GFS is running the surface low too far north into the confluence. The GEM is much closer to reality with the low moving due east around  the Del Marva.

Teleconnections look to be moving in very favorable directions as well. With the AO crashing towards negative and PNA spiking, we should see plenty of cold air available over our area in time for this event.

Personally, I like where NYC metro sits with this right now, given seasonal trends.

NYC Half Marathon is Sunday morning in Manhattan. :(

I hear ya. I just went for my first outside jog in a LOOONG time. The sun is bright and warm, and in many ways I'm yearning for spring. That being said, I still love a good snow storm. At this time of the year I have an attitude of "Let's get something big or please stay the hell away". 

Archived