joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is nothing like the GFS. Looks like rain if you ask me

It's rain changing to wet snow because it moves the first high off the coast so the low initially tracks inside the coast but as the incoming high approaches, the energy transfer to a coastal occurs as cold air is drawn in. Then to keep things interesting, there's another purely offshore coastal storm down off of the southeast coast which with the trough that the Euro has, I would expect that to make a run up the coast with continued favorable placement of the cold high to our north and west. Very very interesting. We may be in the 40s to near 50 for a part of next week, but winter is not done at all IMO.

WX/PT

My comparison to 2010 is in terms of precipitation/overall storminess. That's why I said sensible weather.

Nobody cares and most people wouldn't notice if the average high was 56 instead of 50 during any given period.

I would think temperatures are a large part of sensible weather.  So no one notices or cares if an overall month is 6 degrees above or below normal?  Ok, then.  There were numerous beach worthy days in late April/early May in 2010, not that anyone noticed.

I would think temperatures are a large part of sensible weather. So no one notices or cares if an overall month is 6 degrees above or below normal? Ok, then. There were numerous beach worthy days in late April/early May in 2010, not that anyone noticed.

I don't remember, but the temps must have been 15+ for the temps to be beach-worthy. That's noticeable. Five degrees? Probably not.

I would think temperatures are a large part of sensible weather.  So no one notices or cares if an overall month is 6 degrees above or below normal?  Ok, then.  There were numerous beach worthy days in late April/early May in 2010, not that anyone noticed.

Okay, let me rephrase that.

Nobody that isn't a weather weenie cares about a +5 temperature departure in March/April. 

Okay, let me rephrase that.

Nobody that isn't a weather weenie cares about a +5 temperature departure in March/April.

If the two months are a +5 then yeah people will notice because that's significant. It's not so much that they don't care it's that they have a short memory. Most weather events are forgotten, which is why historical storms are such a big deal.

People will remember Jan 1996 and Sandy, but they'll forget a +5 April, but they'll definitely notice it on some days that month because a few of those days are probably in the 80s or so.

Are the models adaptive?

Probably worthy of discussion somewhere else, but in a given pattern/season/period of time, no, they are not going to get "smarter". They are only going to "adapt" as programming changes are made to them by human beings.

For the current "pattern" (and I'll leave it to a red tagger to best describe it using meteorological terms), I would say the GFS has been overamping systems/underestimating cold in the 6-10 day timeframe. Is this enough to now call it a bias of the modified (note I said modified, not upgraded) GFS? Not in general, but under certain patterns, namely the one we have been in, it would appear so to these untrained eyes and mind.

I'm convinced this pattern is locked through at least the first half of April. Then, we may see a total pattern reversal late in April or early in May. If we don't, it's going to be an extremely chilly wet spring here.

WX/PT

I thought most folks were saying the pattern "changes" next week.  Is that not the case?  I don't follow the long range stuff (beyond 7-10 days), as there's just too much uncertainty for me to invest energy in it.  

While nothing is assured in terms of future snowfall opportunities, given the forecast pattern, I suspect that the odds of additional accumulating snowfall are above climatological probabilities for this time of year. The most recent runs of the GFS, even not taking the details literally, serve to highlight potential for some additional winter weather.

Archived