SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
RIP Scott S...AKA messenger AKA cweat AKA Clinch Leatherwood

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! This is such incredibly heart-breaking news to read! Like so many others have already posted on here, I didn't know him personally, nor do I even recollect having an online conversation with him. Regardless, I appreciated his passion for the weather and enjoyed reading his posts during this historic season.

As someone similar in age, with two young children, as well, it's just that much harder to hear such very sad news!

I will definitely be keeping his wife, young children, family, and friends in my thoughts and most heartfelt prayers!

My goodness...what a Dam Shame!! I am so sorry to hear this horrible news. I just remember him posting and talking about the snow last Thursday that was scraping the Cape and Southeast Mass. What Sad Sad news. Sounded like such a wonderful Man. I feel horrid for his Family. This makes me feel SICK!!

This is really tough, sometimes you just can't explain these things. I didn't know Scott, but honestly I enjoyed his posts as much as anybody on these boards. Always entertaining, descriptive, informative, and he was pretty much right on with his calls almost every time. He'll be sorely missed by all here.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

On 23z RAP at 1 hr vs. 18z NAM/GFS at same period: I'm seeing significantly more vorticity and maximum centered a good 50+ miles more east at the Missouri-Arkansas border... if true and incorporated into 0z suite, we could see a further trend NW due to earlier capture.

RAP:

attachicon.gifruc_namer_001_500_vort_ht.gif

NAM:

attachicon.gifnam_namer_006_500_vort_ht.gif

GFS:

attachicon.gifgfs_namer_006_500_vort_ht.gif

Messenger enroute to SR, substitute in. Lol. Yea that would be true . The vorticity has always impressed me and I think that's what Noyes keyed well either that or the -8 isotherm, lol. What's all this talk about this air mass not being that cold?

The most flattering reply I've ever gotten in years posting here.

Obviously, I don't hold a candle to his skill and legendary presence on this board.

Just yet another personal testimony to how revered this guy was here.

It's amazing that someone whom most here never met could touch so many through an internet forum...

His passion and intelligence and skill and humor radiated from the computer screen.

We're all part of this family, a family that our real-world family and friends can't appreciate.

Year after year after year, whatever else we have in our lives, we always have this to come back to.

What a deep and gut-wrenching loss. I'm really gonna miss him.

Condolences for your loss, SNE.  He looked like a helluva fisherman, and that means he had awesome moments of joy and connection with nature.  The initial "tap, tap, tap" at the end of the line from a striper or bluefish obliterates any problems, puts you in the moment, and makes you feel like a kid.

Never take your life or health for granted, or those around you.  Here one minute, gone the next.

Namaste.

Like many have said, I didn't "know" Messenger but he was a very knowledgeable poster who contributed a lot to the board.  One of my favorite memories is his battle in the sports forum over Tom Brady a couple of seasons ago.  He insisted that he was on the decline.  That argument went back and forth for quite a while among several posters.  RIP

This was my most memorable moment of him on this forum.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/28553-october-2930-snowstorm-obs-thread/page-37#entry1083321

Still can't believe it. I feel sick over it.

Thanks for sharing that Brian...shows the many sides of his personality.  It is strange to lose someone who you only know online.  Even if you have never met in person, you have interacted so much that you miss and notice their presence.  He was a very real and strong presence on this board and prior boards for many years. I didn't interact with him too much on here but I have followed his comments for years and years.  

It isn't my place to do this, but if someone on here is inspired, a note to his family, with a few of his quotes about his love of weather and his family, could be really rewarding and comforting to them.  When you lose someone, as I did recently, sometimes the most comforting things are the fond memories of other people.

Damn, just saw this. No child should have to grow up with out a father like this. I'm mainly a lurker but always enjoyed his analysis as well as arguments. Will always remember his trips up and down Rt. 3 & 6 providing updates and pictures.

Wow, my condolences to Scott and his family. Way to young to be gone.  Earlier this winter I was wondering who Clinch Leatherwood was until I finally figured it must be Messenger with a new alias. Well if anything positive can come out of this was dying at the tail end of an epic winter. I'm glad it's snowing on the Cape for him. You'll be missed!

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.