Newest Member
    SnowHabit
RIP Scott S...AKA messenger AKA cweat AKA Clinch Leatherwood

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone here is like family thats the way i think of it

this place was here for me at my darkest hour and my family was astonished that some anonymous folks on the internet cared enough to contribute towards a memorial scholarship in my late daughters name. Its more than just a board after years and years of interaction it's an online family with all the good and bad that comes with family. Scotts last personal message to me defined him. Going to really miss our interactions and his analysis.

Everyone here is like family thats the way i think of it

I agree completely... Since the eastern days, I'm mostly a winter poster, and have never personally met any of the members, but I'm on so much in winter it feels like I personally know all, including Scott. Again I can't express how I feel even though I never personally met him. My condolences to his family.

Ive Met paul weather wiz we went to the cape for earl i think kev and a few other people were there and met them briefly

I agree completely... Since the eastern days, I'm mostly a winter poster, and have never personally met any of the members, but I'm on so much in winter it feels like I personally know all, including Scott. Again I can't express how I feel even though I never personally met him. My condolences to his family.

Absolutely devastating!  I've been following Messenger's work since 2002 when I joined WWBB.  I really started to appreciate him during the Epic Cape winter of 2005.  There was a snowstorm I believe on February 28/March 01 2005.  He was all over it like a dog on a bone.  Absolutely relentless.  BOX was calling for a change to rain in most of SE Massachusetts, and he was adamant the storm would remain all snow. 

The snow came up from the south as a wall of white...I believe it was on a Monday night just after dark...and the end result was a wet-snow bomb and just about all of SE Massachusetts had between 10-15 inches significantly more than BOX had been forecasting.  He was so intent on proving BOX wrong about their busted forecast he woke up the next morning and was driving all over SE Massachusetts with a yardstick measuring snow!  When he set his sights on a narrative there was nothing or nobody that was gonna cause him to deviate from it.  He would dig his heels in and relentlessly hammer home his narrative like a steaming locomotive. 

He will be severely missed by all of us.  In his core he was a contrarian.  If there was a storm that was trending SE, he'd try and find a way to bring it NW.  If there was a storm trending NW, he'd try an explore an avenue to bring it SE. 

Most of all I'll miss the personality he brought to his posts, the provocative nature to them, and his ability to spark interest and outrage all rolled up into one!  He was a special person and kudos to all you guys who had the opportunity to get to meet him.

Absolutely devastating!  I've been following Messenger's work since 2002 when I joined WWBB.  I really started to appreciate him during the Epic Cape winter of 2005.  There was a snowstorm I believe on February 28/March 01 2005.  He was all over it like a dog on a bone.  Absolutely relentless.  BOX was calling for a change to rain in most of SE Massachusetts, and he was adamant the storm would remain all snow. 

The snow came up from the south as a wall of white...I believe it was on a Monday night just after dark...and the end result was a wet-snow bomb and just about all of SE Massachusetts had between 10-15 inches significantly more than BOX had been forecasting.  He was so intent on proving BOX wrong about their busted forecast he woke up the next morning and was driving all over SE Massachusetts with a yardstick measuring snow!  When he set his sights on a narrative there was nothing or nobody that was gonna cause him to deviate from it.  He would dig his heels in and relentlessly hammer home his narrative like a steaming locomotive. 

He will be severely missed by all of us.  In his core he was a contrarian.  If there was a storm that was trending SE, he'd try and find a way to bring it NW.  If there was a storm trending NW, he'd try an explore an avenue to bring it SE. 

Most of all I'll miss the personality he brought to his posts, the provocative nature to them, and his ability to spark interest and outrage all rolled up into one!  He was a special person and kudos to all you guys who had the opportunity to get to meet him.

Awesome post.

Couldn't agree more.

Bravo.

this place was here for me at my darkest hour and my family was astonished that some anonymous folks on the internet cared enough to contribute towards a memorial scholarship in my late daughters name. Its more than just a board after years and years of interaction it's an online family with all the good and bad that comes with family. Scotts last personal message to me defined him. Going to really miss our interactions and his analysis.

Some of the first friends to arrive on the scene when I was hospitalized after that accident 5 yrs ago were from here.

Truly is a family.

My last communication with Messenger was just before the $hit hit the fan on FB IM, about 4am Feb 15...almost poetic justice that my last memory of him was at the end of that surreal three week stretch.

I remember his analysis in that storm...that was my first winter posting on WWBB. I remember getting into a battle with him just 12 days later during the Mar 12, 2005 storm. :lol:

Fun times. We had some battles and then some storms we agreed on going against the grain...I'll never forget him and I really pimping the March 2013 firehose storm when many people were pessimistic about it.

Board won't be the same.

Some of the first friends to arrive on the scene when I was hospitalized after that accident 5 yrs ago were from here.

Truly is a family.

My last communication with Messenger was just before the $hit hit the fan on FB IM, about 4am Feb 15...almost poetic justice that my last memory of him was at the end of that surreal three week stretch.

his last pm to me invited us and he mentioned you by name, to come stay at his house up on the cliff during the next blizzard. He sent me pictures of his and his neighbors anemometers. He didn't want it publicized but they both clocked 80 mph gusts in the blizzard. Here is some of it

"next time we have one of these cape systems where you guys are going to be too far west"you guys should come spend the night. What we get here makes that video look like childsplay but you guys would love it, I'm telling you on these northeast gales with winds of 50+ elsewhere...it's a hurricane experience. I am pretty convinced if I get the noaa guys to come out, check all my equipment and placements...calibrate etc.... this will be the area that smokes a lot of the wind records in noreasters

All the way back to around 1997 (give or take) on IRC #weather. This is shocking news. He was a great guy. This storm with the snow shield creeping north toward southeast Mass would have been a classic one for Scott to analyze every model trend.  Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Damn. Was hoping that's not what you guys meant. Damn that's terrible. He was a long time poster back as messenger on Wright-weather BB, and maybe before that...been reading his posts for over 10 years.

Absolutely devastating! I've been following Messenger's work since 2002 when I joined WWBB. I really started to appreciate him during the Epic Cape winter of 2005. There was a snowstorm I believe on February 28/March 01 2005. He was all over it like a dog on a bone. Absolutely relentless. BOX was calling for a change to rain in most of SE Massachusetts, and he was adamant the storm would remain all snow.

The snow came up from the south as a wall of white...I believe it was on a Monday night just after dark...and the end result was a wet-snow bomb and just about all of SE Massachusetts had between 10-15 inches significantly more than BOX had been forecasting. He was so intent on proving BOX wrong about their busted forecast he woke up the next morning and was driving all over SE Massachusetts with a yardstick measuring snow! When he set his sights on a narrative there was nothing or nobody that was gonna cause him to deviate from it. He would dig his heels in and relentlessly hammer home his narrative like a steaming locomotive.

He will be severely missed by all of us. In his core he was a contrarian. If there was a storm that was trending SE, he'd try and find a way to bring it NW. If there was a storm trending NW, he'd try an explore an avenue to bring it SE.

Most of all I'll miss the personality he brought to his posts, the provocative nature to them, and his ability to spark interest and outrage all rolled up into one! He was a special person and kudos to all you guys who had the opportunity to get to meet him.

Awesome post.

I remember that storm from WWBB and Messenger schooled everyone...the classic buoy pressure updates, the RUC hourly updates, the total nowcast with 3 posts per minute as the low moved up the coast. Every tick east noted and accounted for.

As a northwesterner in New England I butted heads with him sometimes for the relentless "it's going east" posts, but he was as passionate as anyone and that gets all the respect in the world from me.

I also distinctly remembering several times he would drive up and down getting snow measurements at every exit and rotary in SE Mass. He'd always post pictures from the road on these snow chases, and I'll always remember his photos from the Blizz of 2005 on the Cape.

Awesome post.

I remember that storm from WWBB and Messenger schooled everyone...the classic buoy pressure updates, the RUC hourly updates, the total nowcast with 3 posts per minute as the low moved up the coast. Every tick east noted and accounted for.

As a northwesterner in New England I butted heads with him sometimes for the relentless "it's going east" posts, but he was as passionate as anyone and that gets all the respect in the world from me.

I also distinctly remembering several times he would drive up and down getting snow measurements at every exit and rotary in SE Mass. He'd always post pictures from the road on these snow chases, and I'll always remember his photos from the Blizz of 2005 on the Cape.

we had this storm which destroyed a bunch of buoys in the GOM, pressures were reading 952, him and I stayed up all night long exchanging posts and texts. We also petitioned Walt Drag to see what he could do about getting some buoys operational that were neglected. A year later we heard from Walt that our requests and pleas were acted on. Passion drove him it seemed.

I remember messenger from the days when he had that name, and yes, always had my butted heads moments, most notably during the leadup to the February 15th event / the 4th Major storm.  The guy clearly knew his stuff, and I must say, this really is a family on here, because I'm sitting here in Shock.  Shock as if someone I knew died.  Rest in Peace Scott.  May you have 100mph winds and perfect dendrites with TSSN all day and every day.  

All the way back to around 1997 (give or take) on IRC #weather. This is shocking news. He was a great guy. This storm with the snow shield creeping north toward southeast Mass would have been a classic one for Scott to analyze every model trend. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

yea Rick he would love this setup

I actually remember his analysis of that. I was living in PA at the time, where I stood to benefit from the coast changing to rain and was hoping like crazy he was wrong, but of course he had to be right. 

Archived