SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I just made a round-trip Rutland to Burlington and back this evening. RT-116 and RT-7 southbound were really becoming serious hazards as of 7 pm. 100% accumulating on the roads with zero apparent treatment in place. Was behind a bus for most of the time that had a car start to spin out towards (we were uphill, they were coming downhill with too much speed - you could see their tire tracks from where they lost traction). Could have been a really bad accident. Really think this situation is more dangerous than the garden variety 6-9 inch 24 hour storm as the public had no idea snow was possible this evening.

Bah cell phone picture that pretty much only can be used to confirm the presence of precipitation in Rutland. It is not quite snow not quite sleet not quite graupel. But certainly sticking. Wish winter's last breath at least was an event with excellent dendrite production :(

post-1909-0-78524300-1428542018_thumb.jp

Looks great. Might be uninspiring for some in Maine though. At least that's what I am told.

The official opening date for my golf course is one week from today, actual opening date? May 1st? Like Dryslot, I am about the pack and besides, even if we had 4 ft on the ground, snowmobile season ends on the 15th. So, other than something truly anomolous. I'm set for snow.

The official opening date for my golf course is one week from today, actual opening date? May 1st? Like Dryslot, I am about the pack and besides, even if we had 4 ft on the ground, snowmobile season ends on the 15th. So, other than something truly anomolous. I'm set for snow.

This, But i will humor Scott with a pic, Now you see it, Friday you don't...........lol

IMG_0087_zpsarz0jnba.png

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.23” L.E.

The snow definitely started to stick in Burlington toward the end of the day as Eyewall’s pictures demonstrated, but when I got home to Waterbury there wasn’t much going on.  At some point after 7:00 P.M. it really started coming down though, because as of 10:00 P.M. there was 3.1” on the board.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.5

Snow Density: 7.4% H2O

Temperature: 31.8 F

Sky: Snow (1-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

3.5" of 15:1 powder, bringing the pack to 19", though my evening obs will probably see it back down to 16" again.  Accum looked to be only about 2" in some parts of Belgrade, then up to 4.5" in Augusta, with reports up to 6" between there and midcoast.  Even a small overperformer is a good way to end the snow season, and it's nice to see the trees prettied up one more time.  Might get some semi-frozen at the start of this next system, but slop-to-rain seems likely.  After that the cold air looks to be exhausted, at least for a week or more, and with no big rain events showing up (yet), meltoff looks to be low-drama, unless there's ice jams.

4.5" last night with 0.45" of water in it...now all sitting on the already very muddy road/driveway.

Back up to 20" otg at the homestead and 97.4" for the season.  Didn't think we'd make a run at 100" when I was sitting in the high 80"s in late March (only 9.6" for that month) but 7.9" so far in April has pushed me pretty close to the triple-digit benchmark.  Average here is ~100" for a winter season.

So done with this sh*t right now....   :axe:

Good chance this is the last one for the season but let's not be hasty!

Eyeballing it I thought around 2" but when I measured it was only 1.7". We had a mini-screw zone here... I was watching it last night on radar as those heavier 30dbz echoes never made it this far north...they seemed to keep sliding just to our south, and this morning's CoCoRAHS confirms that:

The Stowe Village CoCoRAHS guy had 1.2", and similar 1-2" amounts on the other side of the Spine. Just south though was getting crushed with 1"/hr yesterday evening.

However mere miles to the south it was widespread 4-5" totals. Like literally 3-5 miles away in Waterbury. You win some and you lose some. I'm always fascinated by how localized it can be at times.

Eyeballing it I thought around 2" but when I measured it was only 1.7". We had a mini-screw zone here... I was watching it last night on radar as those heavier 30dbz echoes never made it this far north...they seemed to keep sliding just to our south, and this morning's CoCoRAHS confirms that:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Stowe Village CoCoRAHS guy had 1.2", and similar 1-2" amounts on the other side of the Spine. Just south though was getting crushed with 1"/hr yesterday evening.

However mere miles to the south it was widespread 4-5" totals. Like literally 3-5 miles away in Waterbury. You win some and you lose some. I'm always fascinated by how localized it can be at times.

Those Washington County folks stole your snow!

Those Washington County folks stole your snow!

:lol: quite literally they did. Persistent banding there, while just north we were sucking subsidence exhaust lol. Still looked real nice with the trees all white...but watching radar last night I had a funny feeling that's what was happening.

Had only 2.5" or thereabouts at 3000ft so it must've been some mid-level banding subsidence because it didn't seem terrain oriented. Just a low spot in this area.

Archived