Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like my trip to Jackman only gets better

Paste bomb equals trees on trails.  Maybe Jackman stays sufficiently cool for some pow?

March stats:

Avg. high:  34.77

Avg. low:   8.68

Mean:  21.73   Easily the 2nd coldest March in my 17 yr here, but 3.7F above last year.

Mildest:  49 on 11th

High minima:  31 on 26th.

High mean:  38.5 on 26th

Coldest:  -24 on 6th, missed my March record by 1F.

Low max:  20 on 18th   (22nd had aft high of 12, spoiled by previous evening's 29.)

Low mean:  -1 on 6th

Precip:  1.36"  2nd lowest, and Feb-Mar total of 2.69" is lowest, and only 40% of avg.

Greatest event:  0.67" on 14-15

Snowfall:  12.0"   70% of avg

Greatest event:  7.6" on 14-15

Greatest depth:  29" on 15th.

Avg. depth:  24.3"

Dry cold month with failed snow threats and considerably AN sunshine, plus some strong winds.

Precip: 1.36" 2nd lowest, and Feb-Mar total of 2.69" is lowest, and only 40% of avg.

Greatest event: 0.67" on 14-15

Snowfall: 12.0" 70% of avg

Greatest event: 7.6" on 14-15

Greatest depth: 29" on 15th.

Avg. depth: 24.3"

Dry cold month with failed snow threats and considerably AN sunshine, plus some strong winds.

Dry is right, it seems like it's been a while since a real precip event (like early February) haha. I noticed in my snow survey the liquid equivalent in 2013 at this time was like 7" higher on the mountain. From like 19" to 26"...that's a decent difference in winter water.

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.20” L.E.

Yesterday’s event finished up with an additional tenth of an inch of snow in the morning, so the total result is just shy of two inches.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 14.7 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Thus the month of March ended up with 17.2” snow/1.60” liquid, which is notably below average on both accounts.

As of April 1st, season snowfall at our site is about 18 inches behind average pace, although there does appear to be potential for snow coming up as we head into April.  So, we’ll have to see how things go in the mountain valleys as to whether any ground is made up in the seasonal snowfall department.

The GGEM and EURO snow maps are also fun entertainment over the next ten days... Can't post the EURO one but the GGEM was nice:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This weekend and then early next week looks very interesting.

As I recall, the Mt. Mansfield Stake is right in that 90” range, so even a moderately snowy stretch would be getting it near the century mark.  That benchmark of the season, and more importantly the fantastic skiing possibilities that go with it, are always potential highlights that make this March/April period so much fun.  Because of the deep snowpack and the way skier numbers fall off during this part of the ski season, for some it’s their favorite time of year, which is interesting because it’s almost the exact opposite of what you hear from a lot of the SNE crew on the forum.  I had no idea that this time of year was so loathed until reading about it on here.

I want to go to hawaii but feel awkward about not being able to pronounce anything.

I don't want to get into a cab and try to tell the driver I'm going to that restaurant I can't pronounce on the corner of kamehameha and pu'uhonua streets.

Ya Kum on I wanna la ya can get you in real trouble

Dry is right, it seems like it's been a while since a real precip event (like early February) haha. I noticed in my snow survey the liquid equivalent in 2013 at this time was like 7" higher on the mountain. From like 19" to 26"...that's a decent difference in winter water.

Last year on April 5 my core measured SWE at 11.2".  I had 6.6" on 3/21 this year, and with just 0.25" precip since then, sun and dry plus 3 days in mid-40s, I'm guessing SWE is 6" at most today, barely half that of last year.

and BTV is on board.

WELCOMED WARMTH IS RELATIVELY SHORT-LIVED HOWEVER, AS BY FRIDAY
NIGHT A FAIRLY ROBUST SURFACE WAVE WILL RIDE ALONG THE FRONT TO OUR
IMMEDIATE SOUTH WITH A GENERAL RE-BLOSSOMING OF WIDESPREAD
PRECIPITATION. MOST CHALLENGING WILL BE THE NEAR-SFC THERMAL
PROFILES AND TIMING OF P-TYPE CHANGEOVER FROM RAIN TO SNOW AS FLOW
TRENDS NORTHERLY AND COLD THERMAL ADVECTION BEGINS IN EARNEST
THROUGH THE LOWER AND MID LEVELS. LEANED TOWARD THE MILDER/LESS SNOW
SCENARIO DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE NIGHT GIVEN PRIOR DAY`S MILD
TEMPERATURES AND GROUND TEMPERATURE RESPONSE. HOWEVER BY LATER AT
NIGHT ENOUGH COOLING SUCH THAT MOST AREAS WILL HAVE TRANSITIONED TO
A LIGHT TO MODERATE WET SNOW WITH SOME ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE. BEST
ESTIMATE AT THIS POINT WILL BE FOR ACCUMULATIONS TO RANGE GENERALLY
IN THE 2 TO 5 INCH RANGE (LESS FAR SOUTHERN VALLEYS AND LOCALLY
HIGHER TO 6/7 INCHES IN FAVORED HIGHER TERRAIN LOCALES ACROSS THE
NORTH). WITH SFC/GROUND TEMPERATURES HOVERING AROUND FREEZING MAINLY
A MINOR IMPACT EVENT EXPECTED, THOUGH A REMINDER THAT THE COLD
WINTER OF 2014/15 HASN`T TOTALLY PLAYED HIS LAST CARD QUITE YET.

I want to go to hawaii but feel awkward about not being able to pronounce anything.

I don't want to get into a cab and try to tell the driver I'm going to that restaurant I can't pronounce on the corner of kamehameha and pu'uhonua streets.

eek,  its almost like me trying to produce your handle name.

Finally after many long months of snow cover and cold the deer are out this afternoon getting there first tastes of grass.  It may be temporary depending on what happens this weekend but makes me happy to see them out today.

Did you lose any deer this winter?  I lost three just in my yard this year, starved.  Last year I lost only one.

Did you lose any deer this winter?  I lost three just in my yard this year, starved.  Last year I lost only one.

IrishRob, I don't know.  From looking over some of my pasture from my house I don't see any but they yard in the woods on the right side of our cam.  2 of my neighbors feed them so hopefully they are okay.  Last night the coyotes were very loud, hate that moaning sound.  Deer are out this AM grazing around the pond.  Snow depth is around 6" in the open areas so they are getting lots of grass to eat.  Must have been a very hard year.  We had the ice storm early on which put a glaze on the soft snow underneath and being so cold they must have used up more than the usual amount of calories.  

IrishRob, I don't know.  From looking over some of my pasture from my house I don't see any but they yard in the woods on the right side of our cam.  2 of my neighbors feed them so hopefully they are okay.  Last night the coyotes were very loud, hate that moaning sound.  Deer are out this AM grazing around the pond.  Snow depth is around 6" in the open areas so they are getting lots of grass to eat.  Must have been a very hard year.  We had the ice storm early on which put a glaze on the soft snow underneath and being so cold they must have used up more than the usual amount of calories.  

The coyotes were crying really loud the other night, which appeared to be coming from two different locations.  That sound is always sure to grab ones attention.

The coyotes were crying really loud the other night, which appeared to be coming from two different locations.  That sound is always sure to grab ones attention.

Coyotes sing all year around our place, and thru the summer we can usually trace the growth of the pups by how their voices progress down the register from top soprano to alto.

There was a deer-feeding issue in SNH last month that led to a dozen or so dead animals, due to an abrupt change in their diet from low nutrition browse to high nutrition feed.  The bacterial flora in a ruminant's gut need time to adapt, and these deer got major bloat from the high-protein mix and succumbed.

Game on.  My P&c for 3000' has 6-10"

PRECIPITATION BEGINS AS A COLD RAIN 02-06Z
SATURDAY...BUT COMBINATION OF LOW-LEVEL CAA AND DIABATIC EFFECTS
RESULT IN RAIN CHANGING TO WET SNOW 06-12Z SATURDAY...AND
CONTINUING THROUGH 18Z SAT. THERE WILL BE A LARGE ELEVATIONAL
DEPENDENCE TO SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS...AND MOST OF THE
ACCUMULATION IN THE VALLEYS WILL BE ON GRASSY
SURFACES...ETC...FOLLOWING THE WARMTH EXPECTED THRU THE DAY
FRIDAY. QPF AMOUNTS GENERALLY 0.4-0.70"...HIGHEST ACROSS CENTRAL
INTO NERN VT. USING A 10:1 RATIO IN THE VALLEYS AND 14:1 ACROSS
THE SUMMITS...LOOKING AT A RANGE OF SNOWFALL AMTS FROM RANGING
FROM AN INCH OR LESS IN THE SOUTHERN VALLEYS...TO 1-3" IN THE
CHAMPLAIN VALLEY TO 3-7" ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTHERN
ADIRONDACKS...AS WELL AS NORTH-CENTRAL INTO NORTHEASTERN VERMONT.
WILL NEED TO CONSIDER HEADLINES FOR SOME OF THE HIGHER
TERRAIN...ESPECIALLY ABOVE 1000`...FOR THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND N-
CENTRAL INTO NERN VT. SINCE SNOWFALL WILL BE HIGHLY SENSITIVE TO
JUST A DEGREE OR SO IN PBL TEMPERATURES...

This afternoon’s forecast discussion from the BTV NWS is below – it seems similar to previous thoughts posted with snow tomorrow night accumulating in the 3-7” range for the mountains:

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

AS OF 336 PM EDT THURSDAY...SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT IS EXPECTED ALONG FRONTOGENETIC SURFACE BOUNDARY ACROSS THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY...WITH LOW TRACKING ENEWD ACROSS SERN NY AT 06Z SATURDAY AND INTO THE GULF OF MAINE BY 12Z SATURDAY. STRENGTHENING N-NNW LOW-LEVEL FLOW BEGINS TO DRAW COLDER LOW-LEVEL AIR INTO OUR REGION FRIDAY NIGHT. PRECIPITATION BEGINS AS A COLD RAIN 02-06Z SATURDAY...BUT COMBINATION OF LOW-LEVEL CAA AND DIABATIC EFFECTS RESULT IN RAIN CHANGING TO WET SNOW 06-12Z SATURDAY...AND CONTINUING THROUGH 18Z SAT. THERE WILL BE A LARGE ELEVATIONAL DEPENDENCE TO SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS...AND MOST OF THE ACCUMULATION IN THE VALLEYS WILL BE ON GRASSY SURFACES...ETC...FOLLOWING THE WARMTH EXPECTED THRU THE DAY FRIDAY. QPF AMOUNTS GENERALLY 0.4-0.70"...HIGHEST ACROSS CENTRAL INTO NERN VT. USING A 10:1 RATIO IN THE VALLEYS AND 14:1 ACROSS THE SUMMITS...LOOKING AT A RANGE OF SNOWFALL AMTS FROM RANGING FROM AN INCH OR LESS IN THE SOUTHERN VALLEYS...TO 1-3" IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY TO 3-7" ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS...AS WELL AS NORTH-CENTRAL INTO NORTHEASTERN VERMONT. WILL NEED TO CONSIDER HEADLINES FOR SOME OF THE HIGHER TERRAIN...ESPECIALLY ABOVE 1000`...FOR THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND N- CENTRAL INTO NERN VT. SINCE SNOWFALL WILL BE HIGHLY SENSITIVE TO JUST A DEGREE OR SO IN PBL TEMPERATURES...WILL HOLD OFF FOR THE MOMENT. LOWS FRIDAY NIGHT GENERALLY 32-35...AND THEN HOLDING INTO THE MID- UPR 30S SATURDAY. SNOWFALL GRADUALLY TAPERS OFF FROM W-E AS LOW PULLS AWAY BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SHOULD SEE SOME PARTIAL CLEARING LATER SATURDAY...FOLLOWED BY LOWS IN THE UPPER TEENS/LOWER 20S SATURDAY NIGHT.

They don’t really speak to accumulations for the mountain valleys in the north, but our point forecast suggests something in the 2-4” range.  That will really depend on temperatures in the lower elevations of course.

Coyotes sing all year around our place, and thru the summer we can usually trace the growth of the pups by how their voices progress down the register from top soprano to alto.

There was a deer-feeding issue in SNH last month that led to a dozen or so dead animals, due to an abrupt change in their diet from low nutrition browse to high nutrition feed.  The bacterial flora in a ruminant's gut need time to adapt, and these deer got major bloat from the high-protein mix and succumbed.

Which is why folks should not feed the deer, They have survived all these years without assistance, More harm then good

Archived