SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having misgivings about only giving the winter a B+. I mean, 2 months straight of cold with an excellent quality snowpack is not something I recall having without interruption. No freakin cutters was the biggest blessing of all.

Each week this lousy snow remains on the ground I will deduct a another third of a grade off the winter.

Yeah, looking out the window and it seems like a couple of inches of paste here too. Truthfully, I had pretty much checked out so this is a bit of a surprise.

I had 0.9" at home this morning. But yeah definitely a little whitening.

MPV down near you reported a couple rounds of moderate snow, some good bursts.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.20” L.E.

We picked up a couple inches of snow overnight, with a bit of light snowfall continuing as well, so I’ll report that in the next round of observations.  Accumulations definitely tapered as you headed west out of the mountains, with roughly a dusting in Richmond, and in Burlington there are only the faintest hints that anything fell.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.0

Snow Density: 11.1% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen so far for this event.  Accumulations pretty much fell off south of Sugarbush, although there were a couple reports of an inch or two in the southern part of the state.

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 2”

It’s still snowing at the house, so I don’t have the final numbers for March snowfall, but it looks like it’s coming in around 17-18” for the monthly total.  That will be another month that comes in well below average this season, and well behind March for the previous two seasons of 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, which were both 30”+.  Those good March numbers are a big part of how this season’s snowfall fell behind the pace of those two.

Next up comes April though, so we’ll see how snowfall goes there.  When I was listening to Roger Hill’s forecast this morning, he was once again hinting at the potential for snow this weekend from a nor’easter, saying that there was some agreement from the models.

I had 0.9" at home this morning. But yeah definitely a little whitening.

MPV down near you reported a couple rounds of moderate snow, some good bursts.

Yeah, I witnessed one just before I went to bed around 11:30.  Actually ended up about 3.25" according to the tape measure stuck into the snow on my deck.  A little bit less down here in Montpelier, maybe 2"?

Edit: I see JSpin just added his total of 1.8" which seems in line with downtown Montpelier.  I have elevation on my side at home as I sit around 1200'.

Yeah, I witnessed one just before I went to bed around 11:30. Actually ended up about 3.25" according to the tape measure stuck into the snow on my deck. A little bit less down here in Montpelier, maybe 2"?

Edit: I see JSpin just added his total of 1.8" which seems in line with downtown Montpelier. I have elevation on my side at home as I sit around 1200'.

Nice yeah the Winooski Valley may have had a good streamer or something. Be interesting to see an overnight radar. 3.3" is a nice total for last night.

Skiing is awesome this morning...as JSpins liquid shows (.2") there was some heft to it, and up high where there's 3-4" it feels like a solid little QPF dump last night. Skis like 8" of champagne lol, probably has the same total moisture content.

We've gotta give Nittany some credit this morning... I was very skeptical of overnight snowfall but his AFD yesterday afternoon was all over it.

Nittany also called the "unblocked" flow in his AFD yesterday, and that's exactly what happened with snow falling from the Spine eastward.

DISCUSSION FROM 336 PM... INITIAL FRONTAL FEATURE AND
WIND SHIFT TO THE SOUTHWEST HAS CROSSED THE AREA THIS AFTERNOON. A
SECOND WIND SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST AND A STRONGER SURGE OF COLDER
AIR LIES BACK NEAR OTTAWA AND WILL PROGRESS SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS
THE REGION THIS EVENING. THERE ARE SOME SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW
SHOWERS ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY THIS AFTERNOON AND COVERAGE
SHOULD INCREASE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT AHEAD OF THE SECONDARY FRONT.
SOME OF THE HI-RES MODELS ALSO INDICATING A LITTLE MORE ORGANIZED
LINE OF RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS MAY DEVELOP DIRECTLY WITH THE FRONT AND
CROSS THE AREA FROM 21-03Z. BEHIND FRONT AS WINDS TURN
NORTHWEST...A PERIOD OF UNBLOCKED UPSLOPE FLOW WILL ENSUE WITH
SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUING IN THE GREEN MOUNTAINS/ADIRONDACKS THROUGH
THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.
NO ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED IN THE LARGER
CHAMPLAIN...SAINT LAWRENCE...AND CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEYS...AND
ONLY A T-1" AT MOST IN THE REMAINDER OF THE LOWER TERRAIN. HOWEVER
SOME OF THE HIGHEST MOUNTAINS MAY FIND SEVERAL INCHES BY MORNING.
LOWS WILL OCCUR LATE...GENERALLY IN THE 20S.

And this is just classic unblocked flow snow distribution with the heaviest falling well downwind of the Spine.  Chittenden County to the west of the Spine with less than an inch, and east of the mountains 1-4". 

Nice surprise last night... 2.3" of dense snow in the base area. Reports of 4-5" above mid-mountain.

We've gotta give Nittany some credit this morning... I was very skeptical of overnight snowfall but his AFD yesterday afternoon was all over it.

Nittany also called the "unblocked" flow in his AFD yesterday, and that's exactly what happened with snow falling from the Spine eastward.

DISCUSSION FROM 336 PM... INITIAL FRONTAL FEATURE AND

WIND SHIFT TO THE SOUTHWEST HAS CROSSED THE AREA THIS AFTERNOON. A

SECOND WIND SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST AND A STRONGER SURGE OF COLDER

AIR LIES BACK NEAR OTTAWA AND WILL PROGRESS SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS

THE REGION THIS EVENING. THERE ARE SOME SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW

SHOWERS ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY THIS AFTERNOON AND COVERAGE

SHOULD INCREASE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT AHEAD OF THE SECONDARY FRONT.

SOME OF THE HI-RES MODELS ALSO INDICATING A LITTLE MORE ORGANIZED

LINE OF RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS MAY DEVELOP DIRECTLY WITH THE FRONT AND

CROSS THE AREA FROM 21-03Z. BEHIND FRONT AS WINDS TURN

NORTHWEST...A PERIOD OF UNBLOCKED UPSLOPE FLOW WILL ENSUE WITH

SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUING IN THE GREEN MOUNTAINS/ADIRONDACKS THROUGH

THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. NO ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED IN THE LARGER

CHAMPLAIN...SAINT LAWRENCE...AND CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEYS...AND

ONLY A T-1" AT MOST IN THE REMAINDER OF THE LOWER TERRAIN. HOWEVER

SOME OF THE HIGHEST MOUNTAINS MAY FIND SEVERAL INCHES BY MORNING.

LOWS WILL OCCUR LATE...GENERALLY IN THE 20S.

And this is just classic unblocked flow snow distribution with the heaviest falling well downwind of the Spine.  Chittenden County to the west of the Spine with less than an inch, and east of the mountains 1-4". 

attachicon.gifMarch_31.gif

Haha thanks! Glad it worked out!  :thumbsup:

Archived