SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our snowbanks are going to be gone before the pack. They've been full of dirty sand/exhaust crap for so long that they melt a lot more rapidly than the relatively pristine pack.

The banks need a real coating of sand/glop for persistence.  :lmao:

By Memorial Day after a decent snow season, the gray-brown stuff is 2-3" thick on the main Augusta snow dump near the Kennebec, and between that insulation/sunscreen and the dump being on flat ground next to a hillside (holds cold air fairly well), chances are there will be some frozen stuff on July 4.  Record was in 2008, when the last traces melted on August 24 or 25.

our snowbanks are going to be gone before the pack. They've been full of dirty sand/exhaust crap for so long that they melt a lot more rapidly than the relatively pristine pack.

Haha I noticed that as well. The roadside banks are like melted down to piles of dirt while there's 15" on the level in the yard.

That'll be fine thank you.

How are you guys feeling about the backend? My p&c has 2-4", not sure I believe it, but I'll sign for it right now.

That sounds about right...I'm torn on how much the summits get because it's so close to being mostly wet snow above 3000ft, especially the northern Spine. If that's the case, then up to 6" of paste could be possible. However the best moisture is in central and southern VT, with the marginal cold in the north. Colder air but less QPF in the north could lead me to believe 2-4" above 1500ft, while down south gets more QPF but the cold takes longer to get there so 2-4" there as well?

It'll be an interesting nowcast for the "picnic table" elevations.

Didn't last long....like a 5 minute period of wet snowflakes and then nothing.  Exciting stuff.

Yeah, that’s generally what I saw.  There was nothing in the gauge this morning, so I went with trace on both snow and precipitation for this morning’s CoCoRaHS report.  Even Burlington was getting snow yesterday evening though in the ~8:00 PM range when I was heading home.

Just a note that the Northern Greens crew will probably find interesting, but perhaps not surprising – as of a few days ago, the 2014-2015 season has now fallen behind 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 (both of which came in below average) in terms of snowfall.  I was asked to come in and comment in a thread at First Tracks where claims were made about how this was the best ski season in Northern Vermont in a decade.  I put 2014-2015 thus far behind seasons like 2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2010-2011, so certainly nowhere near the front.  This season’s claim to fame was essentially an extended period without a thaw that provided good snow preservation, but it was easy to overpower that with a notable list of detractions.  People can use the link above if they want to check out the conversation, but I’ve copied in the list from there:

Let’s see some of the various issues keeping this season from being one for the ages:

• Conditions over the holiday week were terrible; we didn’t ski once between December 23rd and January 4th.
  • Season snowfall here at our location, which generally tracks very well with the mountains, is currently less than 90% of average.
  • December snowfall was well (40%) below average.
  • January snowfall was below average.
  • February was the only midwinter month to even reach average snowfall.
  • March snowfall is running below average.
  • Total season snowfall to date is now behind the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons, both of which ended up below average.
  • We haven’t had any three or four-foot storm cycles, and maybe one? two-foot storm cycle this entire season.

January and February temperatures were well below average, and snow preservation aside, that’s not good.  You don’t need below average temperatures in the mountains of Northern Vermont in midwinter for good snow.  If you’re going to be outside in January around here, you don’t want below average temperatures.  I probably spent more days in the backcountry this season than any in recent memory, simply due to how many times it was just too cold to ride the lifts.

Very strange happenings going on right now. 1:25pm.  48.5F with light rain showers, vis over 5 miles.  Sitting in my sunroom and hear the rain on the roof and skylights.  All of a sudden I hear loud pinging.  Ice pellets  bouncing off everything, thought it must be hail but maybe sleet.  Went from light rain to moderate ice pellets mixed in Really coming down but radar doesn't show anything strange and its not very dark.   Deck has ice pellets.  Any thoughts?

Just ran outside and took this video.  Starts really coming down at the 20 second mark.

Now 15 minutes later moderate rain and 45.5F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF7oXHxyIm4

Yeah, that’s generally what I saw.  There was nothing in the gauge this morning, so I went with trace on both snow and precipitation for this morning’s CoCoRaHS report.  Even Burlington was getting snow yesterday evening though in the ~8:00 PM range when I was heading home.

Just a note that the Northern Greens crew will probably find interesting, but perhaps not surprising – as of a few days ago, the 2014-2015 season has now fallen behind 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 (both of which came in below average) in terms of snowfall.  I was asked to come in and comment in a thread at First Tracks where claims were made about how this was the best ski season in Northern Vermont in a decade.  I put 2014-2015 thus far behind seasons like 2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2010-2011, so certainly nowhere near the front.  This season’s claim to fame was essentially an extended period without a thaw that provided good snow preservation, but it was easy to overpower that with a notable list of detractions.  People can use the link above if they want to check out the conversation, but I’ve copied in the list from there:

Let’s see some of the various issues keeping this season from being one for the ages:

• Conditions over the holiday week were terrible; we didn’t ski once between December 23rd and January 4th.
  • Season snowfall here at our location, which generally tracks very well with the mountains, is currently less than 90% of average.
  • December snowfall was well (40%) below average.
  • January snowfall was below average.
  • February was the only midwinter month to even reach average snowfall.
  • March snowfall is running below average.
  • Total season snowfall to date is now behind the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons, both of which ended up below average.
  • We haven’t had any three or four-foot storm cycles, and maybe one? two-foot storm cycle this entire season.

January and February temperatures were well below average, and snow preservation aside, that’s not good.  You don’t need below average temperatures in the mountains of Northern Vermont in midwinter for good snow.  If you’re going to be outside in January around here, you don’t want below average temperatures.  I probably spent more days in the backcountry this season than any in recent memory, simply due to how many times it was just too cold to ride the lifts.

well said.  I've been bombarded with comments here in NYc about how we must have a ton of snow, and the truth is that we are below average.

Ive been giving some thought to how I would rate this season and barring a big storm in the next few weeks, I would say B+.  Because the conditions have been great mid january through mid march which is remarkable.  Due the consistent cold, some creeks have been in play, whereas even in winters with more snow, they hadnt been.  and the quality of the snow has been good.  No crust for 2  months is pretty amazing.  There have been many great days.  That being said, we haven't really had any big storms since december.  and while the snow conditions have been great, there hasnt been any days that I would say qualify as "epic".  No days where it was knee deep in powder.

Very strange happenings going on right now. 1:25pm.  48.5F with light rain showers, vis over 5 miles.  Sitting in my sunroom and hear the rain on the roof and skylights.  All of a sudden I hear loud pinging.  Ice pellets  bouncing off everything, thought it must be hail but maybe sleet.  Went from light rain to moderate ice pellets mixed in Really coming down but radar doesn't show anything strange and its not very dark.   Deck has ice pellets.  Any thoughts?

Just ran outside and took this video.  Starts really coming down at the 20 second mark.

Now 15 minutes later moderate rain and 45.5F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF7oXHxyIm4

Spends a month in Florida and then comes back and runs outside to film sleet.  

You turned into a southerner awfully quickly. :(

Spends a month in Florida and then comes back and runs outside to film sleet.  

You turned into a southerner awfully quickly. :(

eek, what I don't understand is that sleet forms when there is warm air above and a cold layer below.  We see that all the time.  Why I got all excited is there is no cold air all the way up to 6000 feet, Mt Washington is 28F. It's not like we have a low dewpoint either.  I didn't hear of any sleet reports and it didn't seem convective so that is why I posted it, otherwise would have not given it a second thought!  Now I can go back to watching my snow fog and waiting for a patch of grass to appear!

Archived