joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

serious question, do you look at modeling? Seems pretty far from over based on modeling

Ehh in the Champlain Valley it can get hard to snow after mid-month. But yeah another shot of winter is coming. I don't think it's "far from over" there in the valley though. Not over yet but probably not all that far.

I lived there enough years to understand what Eyewall is saying sometimes about the CPV.

Ehh in the Champlain Valley it can get hard to snow after mid-month. But yeah another shot of winter is coming. I don't think it's "far from over" there in the valley though. Not over yet but probably not all that far.

I lived there enough years to understand what Eyewall is saying sometimes about the CPV.

Yeah I just wanted to go out on a high note instead of things just trailing off. We didn't have any major storms this winter but 2 solid ones.

CON has been running peculiarly cool over the past 2 days during the daytime. Only 51F so far there.

Up to 52.6F. MHT is down to a 4" pack.

CON with 51F today and there's no way that's legit. They are almost never colder than me on the high...especially with a setup like this.

Local max temps...

ASH 58

BERN3 57

MHT 56

NCHN3 56

COTN3 55

DAW 54

LCI 54

SLSN3 54

FFDN3 54

SOUN3 54

TLTN3 54

Me 52.6

CON 51

1P1 51

LEB 50

CON probably should've been about 55F given those values.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

There was a half inch of snow that fell at some point overnight due to the passing cold front.  There was refrozen material at the bottom of the snow stack that presumably came from melting when temperatures were still above freezing.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Going forward, it looks like the area will have plenty of moisture and opportunity for snow starting tomorrow night through the rest of the weekend.

Topped out at a balmy 46 yesterday....and yet picked up 1.2" last night with the fropa.  Was quite surprised when I got up this morning and saw the deck all covered with fresh snow.

any sugarers in this thread? i'm always curious to know how the season is going.

Yeah, I'm a home sugarer.  I'll make a couple gallons every year for home use and also to give some away as gifts.   Haven't even thought about it yet this year.  Until a couple days ago it's been pretty cold and my locale tends to run rather late--as in it's not till early April when the sap really gets going.  I've seen some activity in warmer spots this week--guys tapping, setting up lines, etc.

70/70F showers here on the Florida Gulf coast.  Very sticky in this condo.  One week to go before I head back home.  I guess the homestead will still be snow covered with this weekends system and cold air coming back during next week.  During the last 10 days things have really greened up on the the Florida Gulf coast.  All the spring blossoming type trees have opened up and the grass that was brown is now green.  Will be interesting to see how far north greenup will be. Maybe the Atlanta area? 

Hope the weekend storm delivers for NNE or maybe you all are tired of it by now.

70/70F showers here on the Florida Gulf coast.  Very sticky in this condo.  One week to go before I head back home.  I guess the homestead will still be snow covered with this weekends system and cold air coming back during next week.  During the last 10 days things have really greened up on the the Florida Gulf coast.  All the spring blossoming type trees have opened up and the grass that was brown is now green.  Will be interesting to see how far north greenup will be. Maybe the Atlanta area? 

Hope the weekend storm delivers for NNE or maybe you all are tired of it by now.

I am hoping for one more big one. Obviously this one is not going to deliver here though. As I said halfway joking above this part of VT may be done with any chances for something significant. It is kind of a disappointing end.

I’ve added the latest BTV NWS map updates for the upcoming storm below.  Our forecast down here in the valley is calling for something in the 2-4” range, with as much as 6-12” up high in the Northern Greens.  Short term from the BTV NWS forecast discussion below:

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 420 AM EDT SATURDAY...UPPER LEVEL LOW CLOSES OFF OVER THE GREAT LAKES TONIGHT AS THE SURFACE LOW TRACKS DIRECTLY OVER THE NORTH COUNTRY. DEEP LAYER MOISTURE AND STRONG LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE ATTENDING COLD FRONT SHIFTS INTO THE REGION AFTER SUNSET WITH PRECIPITATION FILLING INTO THE AREA FROM THE NORTHWEST AND TRANSITIONING TO SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. BEST FORCING LIES ALONG THE INTERNATIONAL BORDER WHERE SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY THROUGH MID-DAY SUNDAY ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF NORTHERN VERMONT AS THE LOW LEVEL FLOW SHIFTS TO THE NORTHWEST AND PRECIPITATION BECOMES MORE OROGRAPHIC IN NATURE. A GENERAL 1-3" OF SNOW IS FORECAST ACROSS THE VALLEYS, WITH 4-7" LIKELY IN THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT, AND 6-12" ATOP THE HIGHEST SUMMITS OF NORTHERN VERMONT FROM MT. MANSFIELD TO JAY PEAK. SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS WILL BE GENERALLY ON THE LOW SIDE DUE TO THE WARM BOUNDARY LAYER SO SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AND WET AND COULD CAUSE SOME ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.

14MAR15A.jpg

14MAR15B.jpg

My wife and the boys were up in the Bolton Valley Village and they said that there was some precipitation when they were leaving about an hour ago.  As far as they could tell it was just sprinkles though.  It looks like the temperature has cooled down up there now, and we just picked up our first accumulation down here at the house for this event, which was in the form of sleet.

did you see the wind trace I posted yesterday, seems your gust started in Pinkham Notch, they went from 15 to 68 then back to 20s

Missed it.  Sounds about right though... it looks like the direction it came from was NNE.  Must be a trail of broken greenhouses across the state.   :twister:

Did it knock your weather stations over, or damage your green house?

My weather station is firmly anchored in the snow.  Pretty sure it would survive a mag 9.  

My wife and the boys were up in the Bolton Valley Village and they said that there was some precipitation when they were leaving about an hour ago. As far as they could tell it was just sprinkles though. It looks like the temperature has cooled down up there now, and we just picked up our first accumulation down here at the house for this event, which was in the form of sleet.

I just got home from work and up at Stowe and we didn't have any measurable precipitation today...though we did get an inch of fluffy snow on the 3000ft board from yesterday evening's burst of snow up there, and 0.6" at the base.

Today we just had trace amounts of freezing sprinkles and sleet. A few sprinkles fell at sub-freezing temps, and then transitioned to very light sleet. Here at home I now have light sleet and looking at the snowboard we must've had some graupel or something as there are those white dippin dot things on it. Not measurable though.

Current temps are 27F at 4000ft, 30F at 2600ft, and 31.3F at 1500ft...35F at home at 750ft.

I'm liking the look of tonight and tomorrow morning for the mountains north of I-89. All available guidance is showing 0.4-0.7" QPF for Lamoille County here (Euro brings 0.5" down through Washington County), with sub-freezing column at elevation.

I think above 1500ft could get a 4-6" plaster by tomorrow afternoon if it works out, with 2-4" in the mountain valleys...north of and including a Waterbury to Montpelier line.

I'm liking the look of tonight and tomorrow morning for the mountains north of I-89. All available guidance is showing 0.4-0.7" QPF for Lamoille County here (Euro brings 0.5" down through Washington County), with sub-freezing column at elevation.

I think above 1500ft could get a 4-6" plaster by tomorrow afternoon if it works out, with 2-4" in the mountain valleys...north of and including a Waterbury to Montpelier line.

And BTV just upgraded Lamoille and Washington Counties to a Winter Weather Advisory for 3-5" of wet snow... so they are seeing the slightly snowier appeal to the 12z models.

VTZ006-008-016-150800-
/O.EXA.KBTV.WW.Y.0012.150315T0500Z-150315T2000Z/
LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER...
ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD
317 PM EDT SAT MAR 14 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EDT
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM
EDT SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTH-CENTRAL VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR.

* TIMING...A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW THIS EVENING WILL TRANSITION TO
  ALL SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT...BECOMING MODERATE AT TIMES THROUGH MIDDAY
  SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...SLOW AND SLIPPERY TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP
  OVERNIGHT WITH ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 30. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS 1/2 MILE AT TIMES IN MODERATE SNOW.

Archived