SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the length of time it sleets will be short. This is an arctic air mass coming in, it will overwhelm quite quickly.

I think we see mixing by around 1am, all snow by 5/6am.

The length of the time of the sleet was very short. I was off on the mixing  and all snow by 2 hours.

Finished at 5.6 inches in south Arlington VA.

Biggest event of the winter.

Parents taking kids for sled rides down the flatter part of The Hill Of Doom.

Same here. I'm moving my 5.4" from earlier up to 5.5" based on the results of this last gasp.

Did you stop in any shops for a nice, hot adult beverage.??

Ha no but my previosly room temp water froze while I was out. Walked metro center to Smithsonian to Washington monument to reflecting pool to Capitol. Very few people out most spots. Love the city in snow. One of the better daytime events since I've been here.

So. MD is getting destroyed right now.  Rates starting to drop in NE Calvert but had been under 2"/hr for a while.  4.2" - was 0.4" at 1327 (previous post).

Absolutely incredible!  Went from the above to about 6.5" as of 6pm.  Still snowing lightly here in NE Calvert County.

Photos:

https://twitter.com/SeanCaps/status/573619665626402816/photo/1

We got about 6-7" in the Veterans Day storm, but did have two nice January snows (one of them was warm in DC). We were close to climo that season.

Edited to add: Many of the suburbs, though, were above climo for 92/93 and 93/94.

How much did you end up with today?

Unfortunately, I'm in Green Bay, and missed this event.  (On the plus side, it did get down to -7 this morning...)

Had to go to the Giant in Annandale to get pasta. Little River Tpk has been plowed but the surface is hidden by a layer of ice. Ugh.

Just wait until the 5-10 degree temperatures get to it later tonight.

A trained spotter very close to me reported 8.5" and that's about what I came up with.  Makes for just under 35" for the winter.  Fantastic!  I am ready for gardening, grilling, and beers on the deck now.

Archived