joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice last band coming out of southern PA across the M/D line...hope it holds together...snow showers to finish the event at least N and W of DC

It has some decent low level moisture to work with.  You can see it moving SSE on the Precip Depiction mode.  It's falling ever so lightly as supercooled water droplets here in Clarksburg.  Temp here is 20.7F.

Not fun shoveling this stuff. everything else this year has been a breeze. this stuff is heavy and compacted. picked up another .2 in the last hour. I will go with 6.2. Seasonal total 23.7. Beat climo by a few inches. I am satisfied and will embrace Spring.

There's an NWS employee who always reports the highest snow total for Columbia-- today the total was 9", which looks way too high.

I think that is high, but not crazy.  Didn't do a final measurement (and never cleaned my measuring spot) and had a snow depth of >7" with about 1 hour of snow after.  I probably had 7.5-8".  

Nice last band coming out of southern PA across the M/D line...hope it holds together...snow showers to finish the event at least N and W of DC

What's causing that last band coming south in PA? Seems like it is almost disconnected from the storm itself.

Edit: saw someone questioning a 9 inch total somewhere. Can say for certain and with pics that we have 9 inches on the M/D line, so those totals are out there.

I was living in CO from 92-99 so I'm not sure. I don't think 93-94 did it here. Further nw was good. I believe our area got a lot of ice and just missed on the good storms. 

We did.. Rockville Gas and Light was 25". In addition to all the ice storms,we did well in March with the coastal before it changed to rain. Also, we had a decent snow the last week of December and a moderate snow during the cold week in January. The sleet bomb in February added to our snow total too. 

Not fun shoveling this stuff. everything else this year has been a breeze. this stuff is heavy and compacted. picked up another .2 in the last hour. I will go with 6.2. Seasonal total 23.7. Beat climo by a few inches. I am satisfied and will embrace Spring.

Up here it was easy...pretty light stuff for the most part.

Archived