Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/4-5/2015 Storm Observations

Rtd208

:whistle:

Just be careful guys, the returns are going to look better on the NW edge than what is actually falling here on out

Yes, heavier returns over Sussex County now. There is faint flurries falling. I have to squint at an evergreen to see them.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the superstorm of 1993 drop more than 6.7' of snow in NYC?  I was living in Flushing at the time and i thought we had about 10 inches during the superstorm.

Yes. It brought 10.6" to NYC, however total snowfall for March 1993 was 11.9". If 6.7" falls today, March 2015 would have 13.3" snow. That would be the most since March 1967.

3.25" as of 10 am and it's now 28F.  Much smaller, drier flakes - been mostly moderate snow the last hour - just missed that death band to our south.  Damn.  Still a great storm so far.  At least 6" looks pretty likely...

4" on the ground as of 11:15 am and it's now 27F and snowing moderately.  At this point, I'm expecting 7-8", based on radar trends - looks like at least another 3-5 hours of ~0.75"/hr snowfall on the way.  NW extent of the snowfall has only moved SE about 30-40 miles over the past 3-4 hours, from the Scranton area to the Mt. Pocono area, when it was expected to have sunk SE much further by now.  That's why they raised the warnings for the Lehigh Valley and Warren/Morris, as those places are now likely to get 6" - could even get that in Sussex, too.  And there's plenty of subtropical moisture streaming up towards us - if it doesn't get shunted SE faster, we could actually get 10" or more in most of the area.

Fantastic post as always Don. Very informatice.. Likely we are close to breaking the 1st benchmark in CPK ( even with THAT zoo keeper)

Yes, weren't there complaints from our Manhattan observers about the Zoo Keeper for one of our earlier storms? It might have been the Non Blizzard storm?

Archived