Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

A south trend on this type of event makes no sense to me...none

why not?  I was worried about a north trend yesterday when the threat that the SW energy might eject in one piece, that is NOT happening.  This is not one amped up wave but several weak ones riding along the frontal boundary.  None of them is strong enough to be much resistance to the cold high pressing down.  THis is VERY similar to the early March storm last year.  I was in central PA last year and for days we were expecting 8-12" of snow and I ended up with party cloudy skies while DC south got a nice snowstorm.  No two systems end up the same but this is similar enough to be wary of the south trend. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why not? I was worried about a north trend yesterday when the threat that the SW energy might eject in one piece, that is NOT happening. This is not one amped up wave but several weak ones riding along the frontal boundary. None of them is strong enough to be much resistance to the cold high pressing down. THis is VERY similar to the early March storm last year. I was in central PA last year and for days we were expecting 8-12" of snow and I ended up with party cloudy skies while DC south got a nice snowstorm. No two systems end up the same but this is similar enough to be wary of the south trend.

You yourself made a post about a north trend being more likely than a south trend. The NAM even has a stronger high than the GFS. A common bias is for the gfs to overdo cold air push. Earlier this month it had 850's at -20 in Savannah, which never came close. I don't buy it.

You yourself made a post about a north trend being more likely than a south trend. The NAM even has a stronger high than the GFS. A common bias is for the gfs to overdo cold air push. Earlier this month it had 850's at -20 in Savannah, which never came close. I don't buy it.

I explained in my post why I was worried about a north trend yesterday.  I thought if the models were falsely ejecting the energy too weak it might lead to a stronger more amped up system.  If anything it has trended the other way

In this situation though, even if models were overdoing the cold air, we would merely change to snow sooner and still pick up a fair amount of qpf with the slow cold front producing anafrontal precip across a wide area.

Years of watching them do it. Doesn't mean I'm right, just what I think.

The trend is your friend. Trending colder and further south, just like the last storm trended further north. The trends in all of the models will indicate what is more likely, not nam is always north and gfs south, the ensemble is shifting. 

It's correcting from being the most northern solution. Not really worth debating. We will know in about 12-15 hours.

On another note, getting windy here...and the temp is moving up rapidly.

Yup. I think we are all in a good spot to get a 5-8" event. Agree with Bob, double digits prob not realistic for most. Folks in N KY, Ohio, N. PA, and NYC are not liking the trends though.

We're in noise mode. I thought ellinwood's map was really good. Widespread 4-8". Gfs is right there.

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting. There is no organized lp or rapid devlopment, or closed ull, or pivot. Double digits are going to be reserved for a lucky few.

Yes the only way anyone will get screwed is if they are expecting 10+ amounts like the 12z euro is showing. 4-8 will still verify if it changes over late and ends early. 

Yes, I understand that. But typically models overdo cold push and mountains normally slow it down. I only see the GFS doing this.

water vapor loop sort of has the look of a storm that isn't going to go too far north: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-vis.html

looks like there's a road block up north and it's being shoved east.

Ian just posted for CWG on facebook. He might be busy with work

I have tomorrow's forecast.. Switched with Dan this week. GFS seems well covered tho. ;) it's all OPM watch now.

UKIE is coming out now - looking at the precip maps, I would assume we are going to like this run.  Looks wet after 12z Thursday (assuming we flip sometime around then based on prior runs).

Hard to tell but maybe 20mm or a little less after 12z?

22 mm or so after 12z. Very similar to last run. Based on squinting at meteograms it looks like changeover might be a hair later than the 12z run.

Archived