joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3rd Snow/Sleet/FreezingRain/Rain Observations

IsentropicLift

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any reasoning to why we changed to sleet faster than modeled?

I heard it had something to do with the sun angle. Or perhaps the warm layer aloft moved in faster than modeled, which almost always seems to happen.

Picked up 1.7" of snow before the sleet began. Mostly sleet now. 24 degrees.

I heard it had something to do with the sun angle. Or perhaps the warm layer aloft moved in faster than modeled, which almost always seems to happen.

Picked up 1.7" of snow before the sleet began. Mostly sleet now. 24 degrees.

Gonna go with the warm layer lol.

Currently sleet/freezing rain. 30.7f

I think almost no one here knows this.  With few exceptions, snow depth should be measured once per day preferably at the end of precipitation or when new snow and sleet has reached its maximum depth.  If 6 inches of snow transitions to 3" of sleet, but the maximum depth reached was 7", then 7" is recorded as the total snowfall for the day.  You may not like it, but unless we all follow the same standard, there is no way to make accurate forecasts, verifications, comparisons, etc.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/coop/reference/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines.pdf

"Snowfall is the accumulation of new snow and ice (ice pellets [sleet], graupel, snow pellets) since the last observation, prior to melting or settling. Measure snowfall to the nearest 0.1 (one-tenth) inch. The measurement should be made as soon as possible after the snow ends in order to capture how much accumulated. "

I think almost no one here knows this. With few exceptions, snow depth should be measured once per day preferably at the end of precipitation or when new snow and sleet has reached its maximum depth. If 6 inches of snow transitions to 3" of sleet, but the maximum depth reached was 7", then 7" is recorded as the total snowfall for the day. You may not like it, but unless we all follow the same standard, there is no way to make accurate forecasts, verifications, comparisons, etc.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/coop/reference/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines.pdf

"Snowfall is the accumulation of new snow and ice (ice pellets [sleet], graupel, snow pellets) since the last observation, prior to melting or settling. Measure snowfall to the nearest 0.1 (one-tenth) inch. The measurement should be made as soon as possible after the snow ends in order to capture how much accumulated. "

It says "or when sleet/snow reaches its maximum depth".

So sounds like you can measure multiple times if you feel depth is rising in certain situations?

Like today?

Archived