• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE/Oak Hill Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

Probably one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan of severe as I used to be, along with the 2 days of no power according to Peco.

Although I was out in the field beyond hootin and hollerin until you could hear even stronger winds coming. Made it onto the porch about 15 seconds before this 80 ft. Black Cherry tree came down. Sad - it was a beautiful tree. Also got 0.70 inches of rain which gets mby to 7.31" for the month of June.

sorry about your tree...i used to love severe weather, and then i bought a house and had kids...now property damage and lack of power takes some of the fun out of it...our power came back this morning, hope yours won't be far behind...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's almost how it blew through my area yesterday.  You had some winds build up slowly as the storm approached and then blowing rain, and then it really exploded into action as the gust front barrelled east leaving behind an incredible "wake" of winds.  I'm going to call it straight-line winds as there was no funnel that I could discern, but it was as dramatic (although here, it went on a little longer than in that video before it let up). Those guys were lucky.

That's almost how it blew through my area yesterday. You had some winds build up slowly as the storm approached and then blowing rain, and then it really exploded into action as the gust front barrelled east leaving behind an incredible "wake" of winds. I'm going to call it straight-line winds as there was no funnel that I could discern, but it was as dramatic (although here, it went on a little longer than in that video before it let up). Those guys were lucky.

The winds never let up here until the storm was moving out of my area.

The winds never let up here until the storm was moving out of my area.

I'm so used to those storm lines breaking up or defusing when the cool air behind the front outruns them and stablizes the air, that this really caught me by surprise... It was wild to see the temps only drop a degree or two, even when it was pouring rain, and remain in the mid-80s until well after the worst of the storm had passed.  I suppose the fact that SPC had updated us into a "Moderate Risk" should have been a clue (which is rare - we're almost always "Slight Risk" or "See text" if anything at all)... What seems to happen is that when the storms cross the hot city, they build back up with the downloping and then hit the coastal plain to simply destroy S. Jersey.  So with something like yesterday that hung together after barreling through the city, the parts of Jersey in its path were gonna be goners. And to think that just 10 miles north of me, the Horsham folks only saw a summer thunderstorm.

I'm so used to those storm lines breaking up or defusing when the cool air behind the front outruns them and stablizes the air, that this really caught me by surprise... It was wild to see the temps only drop a degree or two, even when it was pouring rain, and remain in the mid-80s until well after the worst of the storm had passed. I suppose the fact that SPC had updated us into a "Moderate Risk" should have been a clue (which is rare - we're almost always "Slight Risk" or "See text" if anything at all)... What seems to happen is that when the storms cross the hot city, they build back up with the downloping and then hit the coastal plain to simply destroy S. Jersey. So with something like yesterday that hung together after barreling through the city, the parts of Jersey in its path were gonna be goners. And to think that just 10 miles north of me, the Horsham folks only saw a summer thunderstorm.

As far as the temps not dropping... Beware that many PWS (Davis included) can have an artificial lag in noting temp drops. PHL, PNE and ILG dropped fairly fast.

And to think that just 10 miles north of me, the Horsham folks only saw a summer thunderstorm.

I was stuck sleeping in the truck in Columbia, NJ last night, and I did see a fairly robust (although still more or less just a summer type) thunderstorm. When I talked to my wife, she said it was really a non-event here in Tamaqua, with a few bursts of rain and some rumbles of thunder.

I got to see "some" of what happened down in South Jersey as I had a Vineland delivery this morning. There were quite a few branches and leaves scattered about on route 55. I noticed that I had no cell service at all once I crossed the Walt Whitman Bridge and that was the case all the way down to Vineland.

I wish I could have gotten off the freeway and taken a look around a little bit. From all the reports on KYW 1060, it sounds like it's a real mess down there.

Power was totally out yesterday. Strange seeing no lights on in Tabernacle. I was surprised seeing nothing on anywhere. I didn't know we were put in moderate risk. I assume 30 wind and hatched? I couldn't check because of the outages. If anybody is wondering how I'm getting my internet, I'm not at my house right now. I'm at my grandmother's house right now. What a busy day it has been. I'm going to sleep, haven't sleep well. Was being a weenie staying up before yesterday, and didn't sleep well in the dark last night.

Power was totally out yesterday. Strange seeing no lights on in Tabernacle. I was surprised seeing nothing on anywhere. I didn't know we were put in moderate risk. I assume 30 wind and hatched? I couldn't check because of the outages. If anybody is wondering how I'm getting my internet, I'm not at my house right now. I'm at my grandmother's house right now. What a busy day it has been. I'm going to sleep, haven't sleep well. Was being a weenie staying up before yesterday, and didn't sleep well in the dark last night.

As far as the temps not dropping... Beware that many PWS (Davis included) can have an artificial lag in noting temp drops. PHL, PNE and ILG dropped fairly fast.

If you look at KLOM which is closest to me (about 6 miles NW), it wasn't as "rapid" as I am accustomed to (I know it only updates every 30 minutes but... )-

post-1915-0-03566700-1435187347_thumb.jp

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KLOM.html

It hit here with full fury almost literally at 6 pm when I stumbled in to post in the thread, but was building up to that point about 5:50 or so (with the thunder going).

:weenie:

All kidding aside. It sucks not having power as I know from a couple winters ago. PECO has been continually cutting overhanging trees in the area for the past couple years and I think most of the transformers on the poles have blown enough times that they have been replacing those (although one up the street from me blew up a couple months ago but PECO was there a week later with 2 cherry pickers).

Thankfully the temps are cooler for the rest of this week.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like there may have been some rotation in there starting at around 2:56.  

Is that hook where the tornado was?

The hook passed over me, but there wasn't a tornado.  Never even saw a funnel cloud.  But the clouds were churning, that's for sure.  

This is what it looked like as it approached.  The shelf passed over me, that roll cloud was about 14 miles due north of me in Cherry Hill.

post-10347-0-11109400-1435220327_thumb.j

lol, you in a time machine? It's summer. Also, NJ in reality isn't doing that good. Most severe has missed us, and only 3 good storms hit NJ this year, and 2 of them missed me.

For 4 days...I meant past so far....screwed up this way.

And yes, I own a flux capacitor...

Archived