joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Convection robbing moisture transport!

attachicon.gifsoutheast.gif

It depends on which way the line is oriented actually or so I read in some paper I cant find right this moment.....I think  a NE to SW oriented line is actually good and increases the moisture influx where as a NW to SE oriented line will rob the moisture transport.....or maybe I got it backwards.....

It depends on which way the line is oriented actually or so I read in some paper I cant find right this moment.....I think  a NE to SW oriented line is actually good and increases the moisture influx where as a NW to SE oriented line will rob the moisture transport.....or maybe I got it backwards.....

I was just playing. :) The line is so skinny it's probably having no effect either way. Who really cares at this point anyway!

Why can't we get the cold in here quicker, then?

I suppose the air upstream just isn't that cold. Although I do note near freezing temps just north of Richmond. 

The real cold though has more to do with the arctic air mass. That is the air mass makes more large scale gross movements. When it decides to surge our way it will. ;)

I suppose the air upstream just isn't that cold. Although I do note near freezing temps just north of Richmond. 

The real cold though has more to do with the arctic air mass. That is the air mass makes more large scale gross movements. When it decides to surge our way it will. ;)

I hear you.  Thanks man.

Snowpack in DC is not deep enough! Better luck next year, and watch out for that sleet induced rush hour gridlock !

I know, it's going to be a nightmare.  I hope everybody doesn't leave work all at the same time.  We'll never get home.  Ever.  It will be just the worst.

Transition line is now past Richmond south-westward to about 50 miles north of Danville.  

Nice.  If the models are wrong about the mid levels, we might get sleet before the surface temps drop below freezing.  And if the transition line is moving south at nearly 50 mph, we'll see sleet within the next 3 hours.  And if the models are wrong with no wave developing later tonight over southern GA and moving off and up the coast, we'll get some decent snow accumulations! :D

Nice.  If the models are wrong about the mid levels, we might get sleet before the surface temps drop below freezing.  And if the transition line is moving south at nearly 50 mph, we'll see sleet within the next 3 hours.  And if the models are wrong with no wave developing later tonight over southern GA and moving off and up the coast, we'll get some decent snow accumulations! :D

What if it's moving south at 60 mph? ;) 

Well I just went from 67 to 51 in eleven minutes. Winds peaked at 19 Gust to 31 probably closer to 40. Still dropping rapidly with heavy rain and wind. 48 degrees now. The first frontal passage you could hear coming a minute before.

Yeah, this is a pretty neat event. I just tracked the cold front from where I am(Myers Park) to Park and Woodlawn. It took 8 minutes for it to get there. 

Archived