• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday-Wednesday Snow & Temperature Contest

Quincy

How much snow will fall Tuesday night before changing to a messy mix?
Will temperatures torch on Wednesday or stay socked in the 30s before tumbling at night?

Here's how the contest will run...

Predict the total snowfall from Tuesday, March 3rd, through Wednesday*, March 4th:

• BDR Stratford/Bridgeport, Sikorsky Airport
  • BDL Windsor Locks, Bradley Int'l Airport
  • PVD Providence, TF Green Airport
  • ORH Worcester, Regional Airport
  • BOS Boston, Logan Airport
  • You are encouraged to report snowfall to the nearest tenth of an inch.

AND

Predict the high temperature on Wednesday, March 4th for the same stations.
Please report temperatures to the nearest whole degree, otherwise the number will be rounded.

The temperature scoring is the same as the last, similar contest. Each degree error per station results in one error point. For snowfall, each half inch of snow error per station results in one error point. This means that being one inch off for a station results in two error points. Being off by 0.1 inches results in 0.2 error points. All total error points for temperature and snowfall will be added to determine the winner. In the event of a tie, the contestant who has the closest to zero overall bias score (will factor positive and negative error points for an overall "contest bias" score) will win. See previous contest for more details on the bias score, if it becomes a factor in determining the winner.

*For the ease of processing data, the CF6 NWS form will be used. Keep in mind that although this contest is focusing on the "front-end thump" of snow, if any additional snow happens to fall Wednesday night, prior to the end of the climo day, that may factor into the scoring.

The deadline for submitting a forecast is 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3rd. This will give the board time to consider the contest, forecast models and to assess some of the Tuesday 12z data. You can edit a post at any point up until that time, as forecasts will not be tallied until the deadline.

Good luck!

BDR: 2.0", 38F

BDL: 2.8", 41F

PVD: 2.1", 42F

ORH: 3.0", 37F

BOS: 2.0", 38F

Contest is closed with a whopping five entries. Was hoping for more! Let me know if you'd be interested in future contests.

Yea no Kevin either. Shockingly actually.

BDR: 2.0", 38F

BDL: 2.8", 41F

PVD: 2.1", 42F

ORH: 3.0", 37F

BOS: 2.0", 38F

Contest is closed with a whopping five entries. Was hoping for more! Let me know if you'd be interested in future contests.

Whoops, didn't even see this thread until after the deadline. I personally love these contests, I just think everyone has been focusing more on Thursday and hasn't really paid much attention to tomorrow's event.

Congratulations to Snowciopath for winning the contest with a total of just 13.0 error points. Snowciopath predicted the exact high temperature for three of the five locations. A close second with 13.2 error points was N. OF PIKE. Most contestants had a cold bias for the highs, with N. OF PIKE being the exception. Snowfall was more evenly split, although there was a slight high bias with the average snowfall forecast.

post-533-0-16272300-1425576558_thumb.png

I would like to run more of these contests in the future and based off of the feedback, I will make the open period longer and wait until closer to the date and/or event to close the submission period.

Archived