3/4 - 3/5 Post-Frontal Snow Chance

Capt. Adam

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the 24 hr total snows on the 12 Z ECM

attachicon.gifecm.jpg

The other image was including todays storm as well

Yeah.....the thing is, many people seem to be expecting 6-10" at least and hoping for a foot or so.....when in reality, we were never really in the jackpot zone and even in the jackpot zone, they might only see 7-10".....if this was a 12-18" storm in the best banding, then maybe we could be just outside of that and still see 6-10".....however, in this case, being outside of the best banding would lead to another 3,4,5 inch event. 4-7" still seems good , but if the trend south continues, there's no reason to still be expecting an easy 6"+. Most of the maps showing this are taking into account the 1-3" later on today and tonight

No cause that map covers hours 48 thru 72 hrs ..

a 24 hr period 

Has nothing to do with today (the image posted)

NYC sees very good snow from hours 42-48 on the 12z euro.

The map you posted doesn't include that.

No cause that map covers hours 48 thru 72 hrs ..

a 24 hr period 

Has nothing to do with today (the image posted)

I was comparing to the previous map that posted which showed 7-8in for nyc. Where would the other 3-4in come from. AG hit in on the head, your map doesn't include hours 42-48 where several inches would likely fall.

I was comparing to the previous map that posted which showed 7-8in for nyc. Where would the other 3-4in come from. AG hit in on the head, your map doesn't include hours 42-48 where several inches fall.

See the maps posted for hour 42. Surface is above freezing ..could it still be snow? Possibly but per to what the model is showing 42-48 is not pure snow

See the maps posted for hour 42. Surface is above freezing ..could it still be snow? Possibly but per to what the model is showing 42-48 is not pure snow

Hour 45 is clearly snow.

SV maps, which are the most conservative Euro snow maps around (and take all temps into account), have 4"+ from hours 42-48.

..46 frozen for NYC on the ECMWF, way drier.  It looks like it's try to split it into two waves so they are weaker and the second one is further south.  Do I buy this I do not know yet.

You are looking at a very bad Accuwx text sounding that is only in 6 hour increments.

The flip to heavy snow occurs in between hours 42 and 45 and that's when the snow rates are 1"-2" an hour, right near NYC.

If Atown posts the correct Eurowx snow map (hours 42-66), it will clearly show it.

This is the 24 hr total snows on the 12 Z ECM 

attachicon.gifecm.jpg

The other image was including todays storm as well

This map is wrong.. You didn't include the snowfall over the 24 hour period ending at 48hour.. You only posted the 72 hour 24 hour snow map..

Here are all the snowmaps in 24 hour increments. Euro only shows 1" for most of the tri-state for today by the way... and 2" NW.

24 hour Snowfall acumm at the 24 hour mark

post-2882-0-52153100-1425412172_thumb.jp

24 hour Snowfall acumm at the 48 hour mark

post-2882-0-18451500-1425412331_thumb.jp

24 hour Snowfall acumm at the 72 hour mark

post-2882-0-11381200-1425412374_thumb.jp

Total Snowfall through 72 hours (0-72 hours) including today

post-2882-0-57915100-1425412392_thumb.jp

Can I ask why exactly you feel this? Especially with all guidance taking a general jog south today

A couple of reasons. This so called shift south was more of the northern shield of moisture shrinking or tightening up of the gradient. The Euro also has it to some degree just not as much. I got a hunch the confluence is not going to be as strong as currently modeled. One other thing, do you trust any model right now even inside 48 hours. I don't. Could be my inner weenie in me, but I think we will see a correction north. In the end I think we will see a NNJ/ CNJ jackpot instead of the current showing of a CNJ/ SNJ jackpot. I know this post probably belongs in banter since I have no scientific backing in my statement. Just a hunch my friends.

This map is wrong.. You didn't include the snowfall over the 24 hour period ending at 48hour.. You only posted the 72 hour 24 hour snow map..

Here are all the snowmaps in 24 hour increments. Euro only shows 1" for most of the tri-state for today by the way... and 2" NW.

attachicon.gif24 hour.JPG

attachicon.gif48 hour.JPG

attachicon.gif72 hour.JPG

attachicon.gifRun total.JPG

36 hrs its rain .. on the precipitation maps 37 surface temp

hr 42 its wintry mix surface temp 34

Sometime between 42 and 48 it switches..We go in 6 hr increments ....

This is precip totals from 36- 60

0.06 0.17 0.21 0.12 0.09 for NYC 

A couple of reasons. This so called shift south was more of the northern shield of moisture shrinking or tightening up of the gradient. The Euro also has it to some degree just not as much. I got a hunch the confluence is not going to be as strong as currently modeled. One other thing, do you trust any model right now even inside 48 hours. I don't. Could be my inner weenie in me, but I think we will see a correction north. In the end I think we will see a NNJ/ CNJ jackpot instead of the current showing of a CNJ/ SNJ jackpot. I know this post probably belongs in banter since I have no scientific backing in my statement. Just a hunch my friends.

It was more than that. The most drastic adjustment came, as far as I can tell, from the 12Z NAM, which was not only less robust in terms of QPF, but also showed a pretty significant southeastward correction with the entire frontal boundary.

6z:

LRh5304.gif

And then 12z:

MELxiN9.gif

The difference is evident in both the thermal gradient and the wind field on those maps.

Come on , you know better than this 

It was more than that. The most drastic adjustment came, as far as I can tell, from the 12Z NAM, which was not only less robust in terms of QPF, but also showed a pretty significant southeastward correction with the entire frontal boundary.

6z:

LRh5304.gif

And then 12z:

MELxiN9.gif

The difference is evident in both the thermal gradient and the wind field on those maps.

One thing to keep in mind, the NAM was a northern outlier. Most of us thought that it would cave to the other models. On a side note for what it is, the SREFS ticked north.

Here is the TEXT OUTPUT FOR KISP (Islip Airport). Verbatim the 12Z run on the Euro calls for 6.1" however at hour 42 another .22 liquid falls as a mix with no accumulation but the 700mb, 850mb, & 925mb all below freezing. Just the Surface is above 35 degrees... If that cold air funnels down to the surface quicker this .22 of mix could possibly be another 1-2" of snow added to the 6.1"

post-2882-0-53380200-1425413564_thumb.jp

Archived