Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS 03/01-03/02/2015 March Lion Event

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ray. So in other words those maps are not always accurate? Or is there another way to get some kind of reading on current upper air temperatures?

Right now the CC product is your best bet.  No, those maps are not always accurate.  There is something called ACARS which gives aircraft readings, but the airlines don't want those going public; only NWS gets to see them.

Right now the CC product is your best bet. No, those maps are not always accurate. There is something called ACARS which gives aircraft readings, but the airlines don't want those going public; only NWS gets to see them.

ACARS is just the reporting system. Air Communications Addressing and Reporting System.

Heaviest snow of the day near Easton, PA.  I have my entire family out in our back yard blowing southward as hard as they can in an effort to keep the mix line outta here.

Blow harder and see if you can blow it back south of the Mason Dixon line, please. Meanwhile congrats on the heavy snow!

Blow harder and see if you can blow it back south of the Mason Dixon line, please. Meanwhile congrats on the heavy snow!

Thanks.  Keep in mind, though, that "heaviest of the day" can still fall short of "heavy."  The current situation serves as testament to that fact. :/

Kpantz you think we stay snow in easton?

It's going to be close, but I think we'll taint a bit before it's over.  We didn't change over during the last event (which has no scientific bearing on this one, I know), so we're due.

Anxiously monitoring the CC radar that we've all been watching today.  The line seems to surge and stall, surge and stall.  It's getting awfully close to Northampton Co...

I'll admit to being a little concerned now about the freezing rain. Looking at the radar we seem to be in for a few more hours of rain, and the temperature is pretty steady here between 28F and 29F. About a year ago we endured 3 days of no power from the Feb. 4th-5th ice storm, so I went back and looked at that thread:

11:15 pm (2/04/14) it began raining here, temp, at 30F.

4:00 am (2/05/14) still raining with temp @ 32F. I posted this observation noting the sound of transformers blowing in the distance.

4:30 am lost power.

So less than 5 hours in, things began to get dicey, and that was with the temps 2F higher than now.

I don't know how much rain fell during those 5 hours vs how much will fall this late afternoon, but I suspect not enough of a difference to be a factor. I do know that for now it's 2F colder.

Therefore I'm thinking (and hoping I'm wrong) that if the freezing rain continues, in about 2 hours more or less there will start to be similar issues, in this area anyway.

Archived