• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tn Valley March 4-6 Storm OBS

jaxjagman

Had a thirty minute period if very heavy snow. Had heavy sleet since with it since 10:00 AM. Probably have .75-1" of snow and sleet. Was able to shovel the driveway one more time. Roads in my neighborhood, at least the side ones, are dangerous at best. One last band of heavy sleet coming through now.

1234, went and looked at the N. Fork where it meets the SoHo at Rotherwood. Man, it's rolling. They closed the road that runs along it. Not completely unusual, but they only close it when the river is about at flood stage. With Boone off-line, going to be some high water.

Snow and flooding. Looks like maybe one more true cold shot after mid-month. At the very least, the mtns may get hammered one more time.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost internet for about five hours. I am pretty sure some areas have lost power, but not Madison. Heaviest sleet I have ever seen, and it went on for hours and hours. Wind was howling, too. Looks like several inches of snow on the ground, but it's ice.

Our local mets seriously underestimated the ice accumulation here; I have lost most respect for all of them except one, but I am not here to bad mouth anyone so will not mention names.

I can see how parts of Tennessee had a blizzard, because the sleet and wind were pretty heavy here at times. Fun day, though!

By George I did wind up seeing some flakes today after all, currently a light snow shower downtown at 29 degrees.

Ended up with about 5" here north of Nashville - cant really complain too much about this season, that storm brought us to almost 13" for a season total, not near that much in Nashville especially considering some years we go without even a flurry; hopefully if we are in a similar pattern to the 1950's and 1960's as JB says then we can all expect several more years with at least some chance of snow.

Light snow showery weather is still rolling through. Lowers visibility for a bit then lightens for a bit. I went down to town today, generally appears they didn't really get in on the heavy synoptic snow I got earlier. I got about 3/4ths inch from it and made everything much whiter and more covered in my area. Town, Jacksboro, Caryville and LaFollette are encased in ice. Totaled about 2 inches of sleet/snow/freezing rain. Getting the vehicle doors open was an adventure.

Those West Tennessee pics are awesome. It's like a reverse blizzard of 1993 almost. Sadly, Nashville ended up in the middle for both events, but I'm glad you middle Tennessee guys managed 2-5 inches. It's an unusual year, so we might have another round of winter outside the higher elevations. But it's most likely the close of winter threats for non-elevated areas until next December.

You lost respect for some mets over one storm?

No, thinking it over, my frustration is actually with the models and complex southern storm setups, which I took out on the mets. I looked over the thread and saw the hypocrisy of avoiding badmouthing by not mentioning names, when in actuality I got them all with the broad brush of a thoughtless statement. I apologize.

No, thinking it over, my frustration is actually with the models and complex southern storm setups, which I took out on the mets. I looked over the thread and saw the hypocrisy of avoiding badmouthing by not mentioning names, when in actuality I got them all with the broad brush of a thoughtless statement. I apologize.

One of the hardest things to do is admit error and apologize. Took a lot of courage to respond in that manner. You are more than ok in my book. Pretty easy to see why this forum is the best on the board!

Got some fleeting flurries after a day of rain this evening in Johnson City. Gusty cold winds and temps in the low 20's now. It's winter outside, but spring is on the way!

Lastly, CONGRATS to those that saw snow! Those were some awesome pictures out of west TN! I really enjoyed living vicariously through them.....

Great honest response.  It can be very frustrating following these storms. Weather is vastly complicated and sometimes it's easy to forget that Models are just an educated guess at incredibly complicated systems that in the end will do what they will do.

Took family visiting from out of town to Point Park on Friday March 6 and was happily surprised at what was still on the trees atop Lookout Mountain. Bright sunshine made the day!

post-2545-0-62708900-1425938091_thumb.jp

Cold air made it across the Plateau. Previously we talked about the air not making it. The molecules made it over just fine, but they warmed on the way down. Regardless it all worked out. Travel was easy Friday and the scene was gorgeous at Point Park.

Archived