Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm OBS Thread

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Comfortably measured 2.5 inches betw LGA and JFK in Kew Gardens. Went out in heavy snow 40 minutes ago. came out of super market 20 minutes later to a 50% 50% mix of snow and sleet and suddenlybig flakes mixed in and WHOOOOSH , clearly mix line pushed back south and flipped back to mod/borderline heavy but with bigger flakes. simply gorgeous out with seemingly zero wind. falkes kissing everything so gently.

Euphoria.

What a pretty description nyblizz44...

Guest Pamela

The push of the sleet line may have been due to WAA generated or generaTING by that very intense band of precip, now that the band is gone and we have lighter rates that spike in WAA may have dropped off.

Does the sun going down have anything to do with the slight cooling aloft?

Even though the sleet is backing off some, the snow rates are coming down as evidenced by LGA and EWR VIS coming up to 1SM

I also observed a marked drop of in snowfall rates after the transition back to snow in Manhattan. The snowfall rates have inceased significantly in the past 10 minutes though...moderate intensity.

All snow in Rahway NJ now

Sent from my iPhone

I work in Rahway, 9 miles NE of Metuchen, where it's been mostly sleet since 3 pm, with 20-40% snow occasionally mixing in.  Anywhere it's all snow is likely close to 4" by now, as we had 2.75" when it changed to sleet - and for the last half hour before it changed, we had true heavy snow with <1/4 mile visibility and big, heavy flakes.  

I work in Rahway, 9 miles NE of Metuchen, where it's been mostly sleet since 3 pm, with 20-40% snow occasionally mixing in. Anywhere it's all snow is likely close to 4" by now, as we had 2.75" when it changed to sleet - and for the last half hour before it changed, we had true heavy snow with <1/4 mile visibility and big, heavy flakes.

Yeah it was nuts out there for a while we're mostly sleet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderate snow continuing here. Has not changed over. My 2-3" call with amounts to 4" might bust and i love it :) in fact, the mix line on radar seems to go along with the RGEM's total snow map with regards to where the mix/heavier snow amounts set up and the orientation, which is a bit different than we usually see :

post-1210-142524382811.jpg

post-1210-142524383691.jpg

Mew map . Back to MOD snow here in Brooklyn . Snow is winning the fight . Upton may be seeing that way . post-155-0-60382900-1425243742.png

Gotta hand it to you, Paul. Work has kept me from doing much posting, but I've lurked some. From what I've seen, you've been spot-on lately. Colder trends seem to be the rule of thumb in this pattern which, given its historic-ness, makes perfect sense.

Archived