joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event was pretty downplayed on the board yesterday, generally.

Sent from my iPhone

I guess. There's a disconnect even here. Honestly .25" of ice (up north, less here) after snow isn't really a big deal but we've been trained to think it is. It's already not that cold locally. I mean if you have to drive it could be annoying but nothing bad is going to happen to anyone sitting at home hanging out and plenty of folks said the roads would be bad today.

Steady light freezing rain. Piling up on all surfaces. I checked the sidewalk and the road. Nice and slippery, and getting even more slippery with time. I am absolutely LOVIN' this! Its the next best thing to snow! Hope all you guys with snow keep on getting snow all day and pile it up! I'll happily enjoy all of my ice!  :thumbsup:  :wub:

Steady light freezing rain. Piling up on all surfaces. I checked the sidewalk and the road. Nice and slippery, and getting even more slippery with time. I am absolutely LOVIN' this! Its the next best thing to snow! Hope all you guys with snow keep on getting snow all day and pile it up! I'll happily enjoy all of my ice!  :thumbsup:  :wub:

Cool!  Be careful walking around out there, though.  Light snow falling here currently.  Hoping that whenever we do start getting ice, I can get some interesting photos today.

A lot of solenoids showing some nice warm air advection:

(For those who don't know: when height lines and temperatures lines come together to form polygons, it is a really good indication of warm air or cold air advection. generally geostrophic wind flow runs parallel to the height lines, so in this image, it would run southwest to northeast.) Thought this was a cool example to see.

850mb.gif?1425220988856

I guess. There's a disconnect even here. Honestly .25" of ice (up north, less here) after snow isn't really a big deal but we've been trained to think it is. It's already not that cold locally. I mean if you have to drive it could be annoying but nothing bad is going to happen to anyone sitting at home hanging out and plenty of folks said the roads would be bad today.

It is what it is, but what you just described is warning criteria, which for some reason gets pooh poohed on the board.

For the record, sitting at home during warning criteria snows is generally when nothing bad happens as well...

I did just see someone leaving mass from the church across from my house fall down very hard just now. It is very slippery up here and folks didn't stay in. Just went over to where he fell and put salt down and told a church member to maybe cone off the spot.

We've tracked crappier events a lot harder than we tracked this.

Sent from my iPhone

Archived