Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, very same situation with our 75 lb. Lab -- I laughed at first, then risked my own bones to go help him up onto our back patio glazed in almost .3" of ice so HE wouldn't break something.

Don't know about OPM, but I just got the robo-call from work -- we are a DoD tenant on Fort Belvoir, and we're on 2-hr delay tomorrow. Belvoir's roads are currently at "green" status, but I find that very hard to believe, given conditions of our neighborhood roads and even some of the mains only five miles away.

https://twitter.com/VAStateOfMind/status/572218241550065664

Poor dog. Can't get footing on the patio and then breaks through the ice layer on top of the snow and just plops down too afraid to keep going. Heck of a scene out there. Would have been a mess if it had happened at night.

OPM 2-hr delay chances? I say pretty good.

Yep, very same situation with our 75 lb. Lab -- I laughed at first, then risked my own bones to go help him up onto our back patio glazed in almost .3" of ice so HE wouldn't break something.

Don't know about OPM, but I just got the robo-call from work -- we are a DoD tenant on Fort Belvoir, and we're on 2-hr delay tomorrow. Belvoir's roads are currently at "green" status, but I find that very hard to believe, given conditions of our neighborhood roads and even some of the mains only five miles away.

https://twitter.com/VAStateOfMind/status/572218241550065664

Yes. My dog as well. Really bad out there.

When's the last time we had a legit regionwide ice storm like this?

Looking at all the icicles on the power and cable lines is both beautiful and scary at the same time. My road is crust now and I'm scared of my driveway.

Been since the 1990s. Cant remember anything like this since then. Legit freaky outside right now. Tree branches cracking and falling every few mins, mostly away from the house, knock on wood.

Don't know why Carroll and Montgomery schools haven't announced a delay yet. Maybe they are considering a closing?

Can't speak for Carroll, but MoCo rarely announces early, especially if it's a questionable situation (i.e. no precip is expected tomorrow and roads in the cities are not that bad). They'll announce at 5am like usual.

Started right off at about 7am with sleet and zr at 25.1. Steadily rose to 32.0 at around 4 or so. Since it has ticked back down between 31.5 and 31.3. Enough to stop the solar melt from earlier and refreeze the street completely. Forget about the driveway or walk.

Temp is 32 on the sensor but there is no dripping going on. Pretty wild scene outside. Best glacial conditions with the snow pack I've seen in years.

5 winter events in 15 days. Front yard has been 100% covered since Feb14th. I hope it survives tues-wed. Might pull off 100% coverage for 3 weeks. I don't think that happened in Feb 2010. Solid winter this year.

It has been a great two weeks for us winter connoisseurs. Ice is pretty wild out there. Tried to lift the trashcan lid. It felt like it weighed 20lbs. It's as bad as the PG county ice storm last year. The Suitland area was hit hard last year. I couldn't believe it when I drove though that area.

It is unusual to get a solid ice event across most of the area.. usually seem to hit one spot or another but not everyone.  I'd say this is the most ice I've seen since Jan 18 2011.. which was about the biggest ice event I'd seen here at the time since 2006. 

Can't speak for Carroll, but MoCo rarely announces early, especially if it's a questionable situation (i.e. no precip is expected tomorrow and roads in the cities are not that bad). They'll announce at 5am like usual.

Precip or no precip, as long as we stay below freezing and the salt truck doesn't come, neighborhood roads will be a mess...

2/5 was worse for the N/W crew. The area where my folks and in-laws live looked like post-derecho. Big a$$ limbs were down everywhere. This shouldn't get to that point.

How does this compare to 2/5 last year? IIRC correctly this one is a little bigger around the city and to the southeast but 2/5 was major in northern MD.

Tree branches snapping, and a few pretty big ones came down in the back. This is why I dont root for ice storms. Major glacier out there, have not seen anything like this here since the ice storms in the 90s.

in 94 I got 2 inches of ice. This is nice but it is no

where near that.

How does this compare to 2/5 last year? IIRC correctly this one is a little bigger around the city and to the southeast but 2/5 was major in northern MD.

This one wasn't as bad bad as 2/5 up here. Got 0.25 out of this one and about 0.65 from 2/5, no more old trees to be knocked down after last year.

I LOVE all this fresh ice. The only regret I have, is that we ran out of more freezing rain. I want an INCH of ice. I've been out there sliding around. I'm in heaven right now. I'm tryin real hard not to think about tomorrow's 49 degrees or Wednesday's outright TORCH. It's gonna get so HOT midweek that we are ALL going to be in tshirts and shorts. The snow will be a distant memory even in N MD. I hate spring. 

I LOVE WINTER! I adore severe ice! I love strong winds too, after heavy ice. There's more upside with those winds.

I am praying HARD for more freezing drizzle!

I LOVE all this fresh ice. The only regret I have, is that the we ran out of more freezing rain. I want an INCH of ice. I've been out there sliding around. I'm in heaven right now. I'm tryin real hard not to think about tomorrow's 49 degrees or Wednesday's outright TORCH. It's gonna get so HOT midweek that we are ALL going to be in tshirts and shorts. The snow will be a distant memory even in N MD. I hate spring. 

I LOVE WINTER! I adore severe ice!

Why don't you move to Alaska?

It is unusual to get a solid ice event across most of the area.. usually seem to hit one spot or another but not everyone. I'd say this is the most ice I've seen since Jan 18 2011.. which was about the biggest ice event I'd seen here at the time since 2006.

Yea, that's what is interesting. Basically from nova to the M/D has about the same coverage. And it includes folks east of the fall line as well.

We've had some really unusual events work out. Our biggest storm of the year was south flow with insitu cad. Now here we are on march 1st with pretty legit daylight ice storm with insitu cad and south flow.

Now we have a chance at a decent anafrontal event. All the weirdness of the last 2 weeks makes it easier to believe the wed-thurs deal is simply going to work out just cause. Lol

Pretty amazing how icy everything got once the sun went down, even with the rising temperatures. Makes you wonder what this event could've done if it happened at night....

I absolutely would have been in ice heaven with three quarters of an inch of ice! The roads, ALL of them, would have been transformed into a made-to-order ice rink! BIG tree branches would have been down EVERYWHERE! I hate that damn sun, but I LOVE ice! I'd really love another 6 hours of freezing drizzle!

Yea, that's what is interesting. Basically from nova to the M/D has about the same coverage. And it includes folks east of the fall line as well.

We've had some really unusual events work out. Our biggest storm of the year was south flow with insitu cad. Now here we are on march 1st with pretty legit daylight ice storm with insitu cad and south flow.

Now we have a chance at a decent anafrontal event. All the weirdness of the last 2 weeks makes it easier to believe the wed-thurs deal is simply going to work out just cause. Lol

Can only assume the extensive snowpack from here north is having some impact. We are near uncharted waters with cold this later over the northeast. Fun stuff if spring has to be denied.

in 94 I got 2 inches of ice. This is nice but it is no

where near that.

Agreed that was worse. I said that this event is the worst I have seen here since then, Dont get major ice over here often, as usually it ends up going over to rain before accruing any more than a tenth of an inch.

Agreed that was worse. I said I havent seen anything close to that since then, Dont get major ice over here often, as usually it ends up going over to rain This is the best before accruing any more than a tenth of an inch.

This is the best I've seen in years. I will never see ice like I saw in 94 in my lifetime.

Archived