SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen sillier ;) But it seems to meet the criteria....potential for 0.25" of ice. Issue with meeting that would be its March in daytime with the increased solar insolation. But temps are holding in the mid to upper 20s most places so far.

It's early in event but even untreated stuff is mainly just wet here and I live in a cold part of the city. If I get .2" ice on a tree limb and just have puddles on the ground... Eh we'll see.

It's early in event but even untreated stuff is mainly just wet here and I live in a cold part of the city. If I get .2" ice on a tree limb and just have puddles on the ground... Eh we'll see.

Don't forget about clumsy Pedestrians! :oldman:

Yeah this type of event in the city this time of year may not be that big a deal. Everything is coated here just looking outside. I'm goinna do a Jebwalk I guess and walk down to the road just to see what it looks like lol.

Don't forget about clumsy Pedestrians! :oldman:

Obviously the criteria is low here so maybe hands are tied but it's not totally clear we weren't ok with an advisory in the city at least.

Obviously the criteria is low here so maybe hands are tied but it's not totally clear we weren't ok with an advisory in the city at least.

A quarter inch of ice typically merits wsw criteria.

eta: Though I guess that number could have been upped relative to the warning primarily.

That's true, I do think up towards areas north of BWI there could be icing concerns. Nothing extreme but some slippery sidewalks and even iced over roads.

Yes.. I was not that surprised to see the warnings earlier up north given models late yesterday. I'd be surprised at this point if things got really icy here on travelways at least. Solar power hitting peak next few hours.. only way it's going to get really icy IMBY is if it lasts well into dark I think. 

Yes.. I was not that surprised to see the warnings earlier up north given models late yesterday. I'd be surprised at this point if things got really icy here on travelways at least. Solar power hitting peak next few hours.. only way it's going to get really icy IMBY is if it lasts well into dark I think. 

It's getting pretty icy out to the west, also.  Seems like maybe it was also warranted in Loudoun/Fauquier

Probably about a half inch or so in Elkridge with light to moderate sleet. Side roads all covered and even some of the main ones are pretty covered as well. It will be interesting to see if this impacts schools and the government tomorrow. I guess it depends on temps tonight.

It's getting pretty icy out to the west, also.  Seems like maybe it was also warranted in Loudoun/Fauquier

My thoughts are usually pretty DC centric to be honest. I will look elsewhere and do focus on a county or two circle around the city in general but I'm talking about the city and maybe east. NWS here has a tough job given the population density if nothing else... though you do wonder if these late upgrades are based on reports at all or just a hunch/cya type thing.  It's early.. who knows maybe I'm wrong.

Archived