joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is what it is, but what you just described is warning criteria, which for some reason gets pooh poohed on the board.

For the record, sitting at home during warning criteria snows is generally when nothing bad happens as well...

I did just see someone leaving mass from the church across from my house fall down very hard just now. It is very slippery up here and folks didn't stay in. Just went over to where he fell and put Sally down and told a church member to maybe cone off the spot.

We've tracked crappier events a lot harder than we tracked this.

Sent from my iPhone

I went jogging with the dog in the snow here. It's not gripping well on pre-existing ice.  Saw someone slip and eat it, too, luckily they looked young enough to shake it off.

I did just see someone leaving mass from the church across from my house fall down very hard just now. It is very slippery up here and folks didn't stay in. Just went over to where he fell and put salt down and told a church member to maybe cone off the spot.

Sent from my iPhone

move along.  don't interfere with teh god's will

I did.

I recall in the span of 40 minutes, it went from a coating to 3.5"

oh, OK, maybe I did too then but just don't remember the specifics....I am just looking at my records which showed nearly 9 inches over 5 hours so I just avg. 2" an hour in my mind from that....but there could have been a BURST like you said in the middle.

It is what it is, but what you just described is warning criteria, which for some reason gets pooh poohed on the board.

For the record, sitting at home during warning criteria snows is generally when nothing bad happens as well...

I did just see someone leaving mass from the church across from my house fall down very hard just now. It is very slippery up here and folks didn't stay in. Just went over to where he fell and put salt down and told a church member to maybe cone off the spot.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah again not sure what to say. You thought freezing rain isn't slippery?  No one really poo pooed anything other than the usual freakout about ice. Sorry for the people who just MUST get outside and can't sit indoors to wait it out. It's ROUGH being a middle class person with time on your hands.

Is a quarter-inch of ice the criteria for WSW vs. advisory?  Can't recall exactly, but that sticks in my mind.

Yes I believe so. Looks like we will have the heavier qpf here later today and tonight, but surface temps dont look to get to freezing. Previous thinking was temps would be right at 32 here tonight.

Yeah again not sure what to say. You thought freezing rain isn't slippery? No one really poo pooed anything other than the usual freakout about ice. Sorry for the people who just MUST get outside and can't sit indoors to wait it out. It's ROUGH being a middle class person with time on your hands.

I am not criticizing anyone in particular, Ian, I didn't really pay that close attention to this myself. Just noting that the overall tenor of the board tends to downplay these, which on balance is probably the right approach, but not always.

Sent from my iPhone

Got a short burst of big flakes, now back to light snow with small flakes and about 1/3" new.  Still pure snow - no grains or sleet yet.  The "back edge" I blabbed about sure filled in quick!

Wife and daughter still scheduled to do a Girl Scout cookie sale at a local Safeway between 1 and 3pm -- gonna take them in the crusty ol' 2001 Outback and hit up Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone

This is a very good day to stay home if challenged by icy weather.

I am not criticizing anyone in particular, Ian, I didn't really pay that close attention to this myself. Just noting that then overall tenor of the board tends to downplay these, which on balance is probably the right approach, but not always.

Sent from my iPhone

Most of us don't care much about ice--plus the usual over nervousness about ice. Whenever I talk about ice I think bigger impacts other than driving.. it takes like a trace of ice to mess up driving so if ice is in the forecast and you have to drive you should probably just go into it knowing that it's going to be a problem.  One NWS job is scaring people into not leaving home.. not ours here.

A lot of solenoids showing some nice warm air advection:

(For those who don't know: when height lines and temperatures lines come together to form polygons, it is a really good indication of warm air or cold air advection. generally geostrophic wind flow runs parallel to the height lines, so in this image, it would run southwest to northeast.) Thought this was a cool example to see.

850mb.gif?1425220988856

That map illustrates why I got to enjoy ZR and sleet today :) I am right at the 32 degree 850 pressure surface.

I am not criticizing anyone in particular, Ian, I didn't really pay that close attention to this myself. Just noting that then overall tenor of the board tends to downplay these, which on balance is probably the right approach, but not always.

Sent from my iPhone

I downplayed it because this airmass wasnt as cold as last weekends, and even though I had some freezing rain, it was alot of rain@ 32 that wasnt freezing much. That is typical here on the coastal plain. It seems now from what I am reading/seeing(AFD, SPC, etc) temps are not going to rise at the surface very fast, and ice may be more of an issue than forecast. Cold, dry air winning so far.

Archived