Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
POLL- Geography of Forum

Zelocita Weather

Geography Of Board within Metro  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you live within the NYC Metro?

• Southern NY State
    • SW/Coastal Connecticut
    • NW New Jersey (Hunterdon, Morris, N Passaic & North)
    • Northeastern NJ (Union North)
    • Within 5 boroughs of NYC
    • Long Island
    • Central NJ (Middlesex, Somerset South)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last 1 year I've been in Nutley, NJ which is most definitely Northeast NJ. I'm at the top right corner of Essex County. For the 2 years before this, I was in Somerville, NJ, right in the middle of Somerset County.

Although I was very happy to move to NJ in Nov of 2011, I lived in Northborough, MA (Worcester County) for 4 years from 2007 to 2011. Boy oh boy am I sorry I haven't been in Northborough this winter.  

For the last 1 year I've been in Nutley, NJ which is most definitely Northeast NJ. I'm at the top right corner of Essex County. For the 2 years before this, I was in Somerville, NJ, right in the middle of Somerset County.

Although I was very happy to move to NJ in Nov of 2011, I lived in Northborough, MA (Worcester County) for 4 years from 2007 to 2011. Boy oh boy am I sorry I haven't been in Northborough this winter.  

Don't be. Everyone I know ( my wife's old company moved there ) up there is thoroughly disgusted and is looking for something else, preferably in CA or NC. Most people do not like snow. Even the kids today seem to hate it. I should know I work in a school.

Grew up in SE Monmouth in Howell, NJ where I witnessed the March 1993 Superstorm, the record breaking cold of 1993-94 and the recordbreaking snowfall of 95-96 (got 27 inches from the blizzard and 8 inches from the April 10, 1996 storm, signifcant snowfall started the Wednesday before Thanksgiving 1995 and didn't end until 4/10). Moved to Madison, NJ for a year druing the 2000-01 winter where I witnessed the March 2001 debacle but still managed a 60 inch winter. Lived in Jersey City, NJ from 2001-2005 where I witnessed the 3 straight 40 inch snowfall winters of 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05. Lived in Cliffside Park since 2005 where I've witnessed the 4th straight 40 inch winter of 2005-06 the 2009-10 Pineapple Express winter, the historic 2010-2011 winter where we got to 60 inches in a strong La Nina and of course the last two brutally cold winters.

The Kansas of LI now looks like Queens:

http://longislandcatalog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hempstead-plains.html

EDIT: This browser link works a little weird. If you get the wrong page, hit the refresh button and you should get the correct page.

I read about this once. I never knew plains existed in our region, and especially not in an area I used to frequent. It's a shame that they're largely gone.

Seriously...or are you writing satirically?  Because if it is the former...that's just sad.

I mean, I can't name all the islands that comprise the nation of Japan off the top of my head...but for someone who lives over here, that is an excusable shortcoming...the one you cite is not. 

I am serious. When the US beat Portugal in the World Cup in 2002, people came up to me ( a soccer fan ) and said things like hey the US beat Puerto Rico and even the US beat Poland ( the US would actually got stomped by Poland a few days later ) people are extremely ignorant, they do not know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, pensions and 401k's, psychiatrists and psychologists ( and often refer to me as both, even tho I hold an MSW ) and think DO's are not physicians and Chiropractors are back doctors who can do all the things an MD does. Do NOT underestimate the ignorance of people.

Seriously...or are you writing satirically?  Because if it is the former...that's just sad.

I mean, I can't name all the islands that comprise the nation of Japan off the top of my head...but for someone who lives over here, that is an excusable shortcoming...the one you cite is not. 

When I worked in Essex Co in the detention center, I would have occasion to call NYC for records on an inmate. No one had heard of Essex county, though they had heard of Newark, which they confused with Jersey City. No one had heard of Elizabeth NJ either.

I could probably come up with worse stuff than that...I'm not even sure I know what a "DO" is...I'll guess and say a Doctor of Optometry?

Edit: I looked it up; I was wrong...its a doctor of osteopathy...another name for a primary physician.  You live & learn.

optometry is OD; DO is a different type of medical school which emphasizes bones and muscles and whole person care; it started like Chiropractic but saw the writing on the wall and decided to go more mainstream to the point where they are recognized physicians; Chiropractic never bridged the gap. Most DO's work in primary care but they are fully eligible to practice any specialty in medicine. There are so many doctors out there that MD's and DO's like the term physician, to distinguish from PhD's in other fields. Chiropractors may still use the term Chiropractic Physician, but I don't agree they are physicians. OT,PT, Social Work ( MSW ) Physician Assistant ( which can prescribe drugs and do minor surgery ) are called the minor professions, though increasingly the training is taking longer. off topic, and I should have gone to law school anyway.

SNENJ, SWCT, LOWER HUDSON VALLEY, NYC BOROUGHS, HOBOKEN AREA + Western LI are all NYC metro.

Technically, the NYC Metropolitan area is far larger than that.  I'm only 5 miles from NYC (SI).  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area 

Here in Jersey people get SI mixed up with LI, and may think you mean Island Beach.....but watching the Affair on Showtime, populated with British actors, has made me think of visiting LI, esp Montauk, where you used to catch monster size fluke.

I know very few people in NJ who would confuse SI for LI...

Technically, the NYC Metropolitan area is far larger than that.  I'm only 5 miles from NYC (SI).  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area 

I know very few people in NJ who would confuse SI for LI...

You are a PhD who works in research at a big facility. I am a social worker in a public school. Trust me, I have seen people get Linden and London confused.

Archived