joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/25 event venting/whining/whatever thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, at least for this area (NC/SC/VA), DT actually had one of the best forecasts I saw... He went climo and had the greatest amounts near the VA border and didn't have big totals in SC, IIRC.

He nailed MBY's forecast with a 6-8" call that verified at 6.5".

I'm usually a hater, so I figured I'd give him some props.

You know, at least for this area (NC/SC/VA), DT actually had one of the best forecasts I saw... He went climo and had the greatest amounts near the VA border and didn't have big totals in SC, IIRC.

He nailed MBY's forecast with a 6-8" call that verified at 6.5".

I'm usually a hater, so I figured I'd give him some props.

He only made a map after he saw DC was going to get rimmed by snow

I want to give props to Robert, he busted hard, but was man enough to admit it! Mad respect!

Shout out to Cheezenado! Was annoyed at what I thought was just being a negative nancy, but was spot on and nailed it ! Awesome job man, will look forward to your input in future storms! Also think cheeze was the first to mention sleet being a concern, and everybody else was saying just rain or snow, no ice! Kudos! Well done!

I want to give props to Robert, he busted hard, but was man enough to admit it! Mad respect!

Shout out to Cheezenado! Was annoyed at what I thought was just being a negative nancy, but was spot on and nailed it ! Awesome job man, will look forward to your input in future storms! Also think cheeze was the first to mention sleet being a concern, and everybody else was saying just rain or snow, no ice! Kudos! Well done!

You never really know around here. I've had ZR all day with surface temps in the teens and sleet with 2m and 850 temos in the teens.

OMG! Kendra Kent just said the accumulations were limited where they got snow because the flakes were too big !!!! LOL!!!!! They splatted too much on the ground and were hard to accumulate! And she has a degree!! I can't make this stuff up!

That makes sense to me and I don't have a degree. When they splatted they broke further apart thus the energy released cause them to melt much quicker than if they'd come down smaller thus allowing them to stay closer and bond. Simple physics and Science.

Sadly when I proposed the sleet idea... I was basically led to believe that "very narrow band of it at most".  :(

OMG! Kendra Kent just said the accumulations were limited where they got snow because the flakes were too big !!!! LOL!!!!! They splatted too much on the ground and were hard to accumulate! And she has a degree!! I can't make this stuff up!

Really? I will tweet her about that.

I read where a meteorologist was comparing accuracy percentages to various sports. Like baseball batter, pass completion percentage, etc. Hello..., The weather affects lives, sports are for entertainment.

No offense to the awesome professional contributor's to these forums but seriously? And to say they get it right a very high percentage of time is a bit disingenuous, anybody can tell you the weather in most places in the summer. Sunny or partly cloudy with x% chance of afternoon Thunderstorms, temperatures xx to yy.

How about just acknowledging it's an extremely hard profession, mistakes are made, and there is no certainty in forecasting, especially when it comes to winter, winter storms, and types of precipitation in those storms. Rationalizations to justify your errors is extremely disingenuous and drags down the profession.

When it comes to snow expectations, Cheez only seems negative because he knows what he's talking about and doesn't get sucked in by the NAM, RAP, HRRR, and DGEX snow maps. Most of the time, it pays to under-forecast snow and focus on the things that can/are likely to prevent or reduce snow, especially south of VA. In most cases you will end up being right, especially when the pattern isn't picture perfect and you have a marginal temp profile. When people like Cheez and Mr. Bob and Greg Fishel are bullish on snow, that's when it's time to get your shovels ready.

We would all do well to give more respect to elements that can screw up snow rather than focusing on all the ways it can pile up high and deep.

I read where a meteorologist was comparing accuracy percentages to various sports. Like baseball batter, pass completion percentage, etc. Hello..., The weather affects lives, sports are for entertainment.

No offense to the awesome professional contributor's to these forums but seriously? And to say they get it right a very high percentage of time is a bit disingenuous, anybody can tell you the weather in most places in the summer. Sunny or partly cloudy with x% chance of afternoon Thunderstorms, temperatures xx to yy.

How about just acknowledging it's an extremely hard profession, mistakes are made, and there is no certainty in forecasting, especially when it comes to winter, winter storms, and types of precipitation in those storms. Rationalizations to justify your errors is extremely disingenuous and drags down the profession.

Weather forecasting has turned into a competition and expectations of what a forecaster can provide have become greatly overblown. It's not technologically possible to accurately predict exactly where the rain/snow line will set up, what neighborhood over which the eye of a hurricane will pass, or on which house an afternoon thunderstorm will rain. A forecaster's job is to prepare people for what i most likely to happen and what could happen. Then people should prepare for that. If it doesn't end up happening or happening to the max degree it could, there's no harm in having been prepared. But that is not the expectation. And I'm talking about the public sector here. Other nuances come into play in the private sector.

You're kidding, right? She should be fired for such nonsense! Some folks in the public probably believed it. Deflection and deception.

You're kidding, right? She should be fired for such nonsense! Some folks in the public probably believed it. Deflection and deception.

She never responded to my tweet and follow sadly.  I said something along the lines of "what is this I hear about snowflakes being to big to accumulate?"

Yep Cheeznado does need credit for sure. He nailed this.

Kendra Kent is just God-awful! That whole weather team is, for that matter!

Archived