SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/25 event venting/whining/whatever thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was uncanny how the major Deep South metro areas - BHM, ATL, GSP and CLT - all had almost identical experiences with a big tease in the metro and a ton of snow just to the north. That effectively PO'd about 15 million people and that's a lot of squawking to have to live with for the pros. Tough, tough storm for them.

Yeah.

Problem is if you call for nothing and then we get 3" during rush hour, the whole city gets made fun of on the international news and you're getting called out by the governor.

If you call for something and then we get nothing, you just get a little grief from the locals and then we all move on. I know what I'd do, given the choice and 50/50 model output.

This storm has left its mark on my small track in Raleigh. Still no power, a big cedar tree down in the backyard that missed the power line by 1 foot (at most). A substantial magnolia branch on my truck with apparently no damage and 5" of snow & ice. Would have loved all powder and sorry for the folks how just had rain but enjoyed the dynamics with this one.  

I just could not live in the upstate. It's a nice area with good jobs and low cost of living, but the heat and lack of snow would kill me.

Meh...I can drive up the mountains an hour away and see plenty of snow during the winter. I like snow but it isn't something that's gonna make me decide where I choose to live.

Meh...I can drive up the mountains an hour away and see plenty of snow during the winter. I like snow but it isn't something that's gonna make me decide where I choose to live.

well getting snow or not is not a deciding factor where I live but it helps. It's way too hot in the summer down there.

This venting/whining isn't for me, but for my niece who lives on the southside of ATL not far from the airport in East Point. I feel pretty bad for her. She was excited about seeing some snow going all the way back to last week. So the end result as of today is she's got 4 snow days cashed out, a cold rain/sleet and 0 snow to show for it. Fab Feb FTW!  :(  Ah well, I guess there's always next winter to look forward to a big snow I suppose. 

One highlight of the storm for me:

I live on the NW side of Atlanta (about 1 mile from where the GA Dome is) I was somewhat surprised to see the first transition from sleet to snow/sleet then all snow happen so early on into the event which gave me some brief false hope that maybe it was a little cooler (above the surface) than expected so maybe things would bust on the good side for accumulating snow. NOPE! This was wash, rinse, repeat from about 1pm til just after 4pm when it started to become rain/sleet and then eventually all rain. The plus side is I was able to get/see some feather looking sized flakes, spotty dusting on the grass, trashcans, and house rooftops here. So I guess I wasn't completely shut out?!

Oh, silly Mother Nature, Trix are for kids! (and the blissfully naive snow lover who keeps holding out on a good snow coming before Spring officially arrives in late March) :arrowhead:

On a serious note, I'm happy for those who did get a good thumping and I hope you're enjoying it! It was pretty cool to see how big the flakes and how hard it was coming down in different areas in N. GA and just how real that sharp cutoff on snow really was. Overall, it was still a fun storm to follow because the majority of us did get in on the action whether it was a dusting or 6+ inches. :)

I think everyone busted in GSP and CLT   god knows I did...but, wasn't as bad as thought.  CLT was around 2" right?  What about GSP?

got about 1-2 inches (depending on where you measure, rec'd a lot of sleet) - ended with a nice, gentle rain - melting rapidly now//beginning to think that Greenville is the sleet capital of the US

If you have been on here long enough you know to just trust climo on these borderline systems.  Everyone in the SE has been zinged by busts in the past and it will happen again.  We need to learn from it.  Overall I think it was pretty well forecasted.  Yesterday watching all the OBS with S and SE winds all day should have told us that cold air would be an issue with this one.

If you have been on here long enough you know to just trust climo on these borderline systems.  Everyone in the SE has been zinged by busts in the past and it will happen again.  We need to learn from it.  Overall I think it was pretty well forecasted.  Yesterday watching all the OBS with S and SE winds all day should have told us that cold air would be an issue with this one.

Youre absolutely right. Tempered expectations is the way to go if you live in the Southeast.

Well...We could all move to Boston,but the truth is as much as I love snow. I love N.C. and the diverse weather experiences this state provides more. It's the chase of the storm and the comaraderie in this forum as much as the end result. You guys that took the time to analyze and share your thoughts,Thank You! I had a great time guys. Now where did I put that premergent.

I hear ya brother, I live in NC and couldn't ever imagine living anywhere else. This is home and I love this place. This storm was probably the first since the Christmas 2010 storm that I followed really closely. Getting up at all hours of the night and watching model runs come in and then doing a Tiger Woods fist pump when you get a really good run for your back yard (and also having local TV mets back up the models heavy accumulation output) then to have the storm bust is extremly demoralizing. I love winter weather but when this happens you just have to realize how unimportant the weather is in the grand scheme of things.

I hear ya brother, I live in NC and couldn't ever imagine living anywhere else. This is home and I love this place. This storm was probably the first since the Christmas 2010 storm that I followed really closely. Getting up at all hours of the night and watching model runs come in and then doing a Tiger Woods fist pump when you get a really good run for your back yard (and also having local TV mets back up the models heavy accumulation output) then to have the storm bust is extremly demoralizing. I love winter weather but when this happens you just have to realize how unimportant the weather is in the grand scheme of things.

What about last February, ya dingus?

Thats one of the things thats so cool about this country. You can have almost any climate you like. Just pick a place and settle down and you got it all.

That being said, i like the Carolina's but its not near the top of my list of places to live.

how come you live in the upstate, where are you from?

I'm 51 and have lived in the Taylors are my entire life. You are VERY close....7 times. Matter of fact, I can give you the specifics from GSP as official snowfalls since 1963:

Jan 1966 - 9.1

Dec 1971 - 11.4

Feb 1979 - 12.3

Mar 1983 - 9.3

Jan 1987 - 10.8

Jan 1988 - 12.0

Mar 1993 - 9.8

The last "big" snow was Jan 2011 - 6.5.  Jan 1996 we got 7.8

The 1988 storm shut the area down for a solid 3 days. I remember because my Mom was in the hospital. We got a 4 wheel drive to get us there....Wade Hampton Blvd looked like a war zone.

Forgot about the ol March 24, 1983 storm. I was a senior in high school. Got about 11" and it was gone in 2 days.

Archived