joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/25 event venting/whining/whatever thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meteorologists, especially in this area, should really think about tempering their forecasts.  Posting a 7-10 inch swath of accumulations over the entire mecklenburg county was posting pretty much the extreme possibility if everything went right.  Too many forecasters do this in order to induce clicks on their websites and viewers to their station.  I've lost alot of respect for Brad Panovich over this one storm.  For him to do that and then afterwards when his forecast busted come around and say, "well, i did say be cautious".  Yeah, but your big ass picture forecast showed the entire county in 7-10 inch land.  Say whatever you want to say, we have visible proof of what you said was going to happen and you weren't even close.  The time for excuses is way past.  Own up that you f'd up and do better next time.  Theres no reason to post the absolute highest possible amount.  Its stupid and gets the kind of attention that hes receiving right now.

You somewhat have a point there.  Lowball the totals 'til it's undoubtedly evident there will be more than the initial totals.  

Meteorologists, especially in this area, should really think about tempering their forecasts.  Posting a 7-10 inch swath of accumulations over the entire mecklenburg county was posting pretty much the extreme possibility if everything went right.  Too many forecasters do this in order to induce clicks on their websites and viewers to their station.  I've lost alot of respect for Brad Panovich over this one storm.  For him to do that and then afterwards when his forecast busted come around and say, "well, i did say be cautious".  Yeah, but your big ass picture forecast showed the entire county in 7-10 inch land.  Say whatever you want to say, we have visible proof of what you said was going to happen and you weren't even close.  The time for excuses is way past.  Own up that you f'd up and do better next time.  Theres no reason to post the absolute highest possible amount.  Its stupid and gets the kind of attention that hes receiving right now.

Mine was for 3-5 for CLT. Alot of other Mets got weenied out by the short range runs today and didnt factor in structure or ratio differentials. 

Those precip types are wrong.  It's been nothing but rain for over an hour here.

Yeah nothing but rain in the area NE of Greenville. What do we have to do to get decently accurate ptype radar? I was supposedly 40-50 miles above the rain/snow line at one point, yet I was sleet/rain for most of this time. The fact that I have a TV met telling me it is snowing when it really isn't adds insult to injury.

You somewhat have a point there.  Lowball the totals 'til it's undoubtedly evident there will be more than the initial totals.  

Its never gonna happen though, and you know why? Because predicting 3-4" for an area while your competitors are throwing out 6-10" predictions is bad for business. Its all about that $$$.  80% chance for some mix with rain and a couple inches with a 20% chance it stays all snow and we get 10 inches?  BETTER POST 7-10 SO PEOPLE TUNE IN!

Its never gonna happen though, and you know why? Because predicting 3-4" for an area while your competitors are throwing out 6-10" predictions is bad for business. Its all about that $$$.  80% chance for some mix with rain and a couple inches with a 20% chance it stays all snow and we get 10 inches?  BETTER POST 7-10 SO PEOPLE TUNE IN!

If people choose to keep listening to busted forecasts because of ratings, they deserve to be let down.  I know that I would stop watching the station after the third time or so all around.

Solid meltdowns guys, I think you should call out some mets by username on here too to really take things to a major league meltdown level! ;)

Cough, cough, Cessarich, cough , still waiting on that wraparound!!! Talk about going down with the ship! He was on there at 1130 saying people who had been all rain or sleet would still get 1-3 inches from wraparound ! Umm no, didnt happen , never saw a flake from wraparound , wraparound , wraparound, dynamic cooling, dynamic cooling, dynamic cooling! Doesn't matter how many times I say them, they still don't happen, did I forget SSW, October Siberian snowcover, oh yeah, Analogs! :)

Looking good here.  Looks like we'll meet or maybe surpass expectations, depending on your perspective prior to the storm.

Same. We were fc 8-12 from TWC and like 6-10 from NWS, we have 5.5" now and it's coming down heavy still. Expectations met and I am sated. Looks like expectations will be exceeded.

If people choose to keep listening to busted forecasts because of ratings, they deserve to be let down.  I know that I would stop watching the station after the third time or so all around.

I've only been living in this area for a couple years, so i can count the chances for major snow on one hand since i've been here.  I'm beginning to get a sense for who I should and shouldn't listen to.

Cough, cough, Cessarich, cough , still waiting on that wraparound!!! Talk about going down with the ship! He was on there at 1130 saying people who had been all rain or sleet would still get 1-3 inches from wraparound ! Umm no, didnt happen , never saw a flake from wraparound , wraparound , wraparound, dynamic cooling, dynamic cooling, dynamic cooling! Doesn't matter how many times I say them, they still don't happen, did I forget SSW, October Siberian snowcover, oh yeah, Analogs! :)

Brad Panovich was hyping those heavy snow deformation bands all evening too while there were posters on here with zero meteorlogical experience saying, "Yeah, no f'in way thats happening".  Seriously? Thats your profession? People that have no idea what they're talking about can point to a map and say something isnt going to happen when you're damn sure it is?  Or are you just wanting people to believe it long enough so they can stick around for the 11 oclock news??  Pretty sure I know which one it is...

I literally can't sleep because the bitterness in this thread by some of you is cracking me up. What's even funnier is the swearing up and down to never look at/trust a model again yet everyone of you, with maybe the exception of Shawn for like a 2 week span in the middle of winter when he's fed up once again with how things are going, will be right back to it next storm/year.

I've only been living in this area for a couple years, so i can count the chances for major snow on one hand since i've been here.  I'm beginning to get a sense for who I should and shouldn't listen to.

Brad Panovich was hyping those heavy snow deformation bands all evening too while there were posters on here with zero meteorlogical experience saying, "Yeah, no f'in way thats happening".  Seriously? Thats your profession? People that have no idea what they're talking about can point to a map and say something isnt going to happen when you're damn sure it is?  Or are you just wanting people to believe it long enough so they can stick around for the 11 oclock news??  Pretty sure I know which one it is...

Brad had some tweets along the lines of "STOP TRYING TO CALL IT OVER THE WORST IS COMING WITH THE ULL" type crap.

I like Brad.. but really?

I literally can't sleep because the bitterness in this thread by some of you is cracking me up. What's even funnier is the swearing up and down to never look at/trust a model again yet everyone of you, with maybe the exception of Shawn for like a 2 week span in the middle of winter when he's fed up once again with how things are going, will be right back to it next storm/year.

Sometimes I think I should just go ahead and move to Waycross, GA.  I ended up banned over on that other craptasatic AL dominated forum on a recent melt-down.  Haha

Brad had some tweets along the lines of "STOP TRYING TO CALL IT OVER THE WORST IS COMING WITH THE ULL" type crap.

I like Brad.. but really?

My favorite bullcrap tweet of his was, "Do they consider football games over after the first quarter?"

I wanted to re-tweet, "If the score is 45-0 they do" but i'm not one for twitter wars

Sometimes I think I should just go ahead and move to Waycross, GA. I ended up banned over on that other craptasatic AL dominated forum on a recent melt-down. Haha

Lol, screw Waycross, I mean they can't even do severe weather right! I'd say pull a Hemingway and live in the Keys, Idaho or both!

Archived