1 NNE BAILEYS CROSSR 2.5 946 AM 2/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 SSE WESTOVER 2.3 1042 AM 2/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

REAGAN NATIONAL AIRP 2.2 100 PM 2/26 AIRPORT

ARLINGTON 2.0 1013 AM 2/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 E BARCROFT 1.9 1202 PM 2/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 S ROSSLYN 1.8 955 AM 2/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

whoa...surprised

Liquid totals: 0.10" IAD, 0.14" DCA, 0.11" BWI 

I don't know if they're all valid-- IAD's yields a 20:1 ratio, for example. But, overall, the GFS and Euro were both too far north in the 0Z run with the 0.1" contour. The GFS was closer in yesterday's 12Z run. 

Yes, the NAM has issues, but I've never seen it do what it did for the 2 days worth of runs before the storm. Every single 0Z or 12Z run was more southeast ("a wall at DC" was used to describe multiple runs), while the 6Z and 18Z runs were more northwest. Any ideas for the cause of such a pattern? We didn't even need to see the 0Z run last night to guess that it would back southeast from the 18Z run, nor did we need to see the 06Z run this morning to know that it would bring the precip back northwest.....

So whats the state of everyone's snowcover after today? Gettting close to 2 weeks straight with legit snow on the ground. I was down to 3 inches before this morning's event. Picked up 3 today, lost some to melting, but I have 5+ now. Being in the woods really helps counter that nasty snow eating sun.

Some of the old piles still look freshened but definitely a meltfest downtown. Old snow being waterlogged undoubtedly helping it's staying power.

Agreed. I'm not sure I can call the stuff covering my yard snow anymore. It's funny at night when the temps drop. My dog walks on top for a bit and it scares him when he breaks through. He does a goofy dance until he finds firm snow again. I made some nice big piles along my driveway. Even hauled snow from the sidewalk to make them bigger. Once they completely melt I'll officially cancel winter.

Agreed. I'm not sure I can call the stuff covering my yard snow anymore. It's funny at night when the temps drop. My dog walks on top for a bit and it scares him when he breaks through. He does a goofy dance until he finds firm snow again. I made some nice big piles along my driveway. Even hauled snow from the sidewalk to make them bigger. Once they completely melt I'll officially cancel winter.

Hah same here. Mine still not a huge fan of snow but it was funny to watch him walk on he refrozen snow after it rained a bit. Kinda waddling with legs splayed and the occasional crash thru the surface.

Snow survived a bit better at home but not much. Maybe 1/2" of new on old.

Some of the old piles still look freshened but definitely a meltfest downtown. Old snow being waterlogged undoubtedly helping it's staying power.

Sun is a huge factor, but amount and quality is too.  This was a lot like the 2/25 and 2/26 storms last winter. low QPF storms that fell in marginal air masses with a powerful sun.  This was definitely a storm to live in the moment.  Most would probably think I am nuts, even some on this board, but I got up at 5:30 so I could walk around in it.  I knew by midday it would suck.  March 3, despite the even higher sun, had major staying power because it was moisture laden (plus cold as hell and stuck everywhere).  People love high ratio snow and I get it because you are maximizing what is available to you, but we would have been much better off with a rain to snow event that gave us 3" on 0.5" liquid, with 8:1 ratios after it flipped.  Of course being cold and sticking to the street is critical.  It doesn't matter  for measuring purposes, but the impact sucks, especially in a city when so much surface area doesn't accept the snow., This morning wasn't bad.  Untreated sidewalks got covered and even in rush hour, some main city streets gave way, but it was just enough to say that it officially stuck to streets/sidewalks when in actuality it was like 0.3"...

I have a fair amount of gigantic piles all over...The street ones will be a gross grey again soon, but there are a decent amount that are still white in parking lots, and plazas..

So whats the state of everyone's snowcover after today? Gettting close to 2 weeks straight with legit snow on the ground. I was down to 3 inches before this morning's event. Picked up 3 today, lost some to melting, but I have 5+ now. Being in the woods really helps counter that nasty snow eating sun.

Had 8.5 yesterday morning on ground, picked up 2.0 and up to 9.5 this morning, have given all that back, 8.5 tonight

Sun is a huge factor, but amount and quality is too.  This was a lot like the 2/25 and 2/26 storms last winter. low QPF storms that fell in marginal air masses with a powerful sun.  This was definitely a storm to live in the moment.  Most would probably think I am nuts, even some on this board, but I got up at 5:30 so I could walk around in it.  I knew by midday it would suck.  March 3, despite the even higher sun, had major staying power because it was moisture laden (plus cold as hell and stuck everywhere).  People love high ratio snow and I get it because you are maximizing what is available to you, but we would have been much better off with a rain to snow event that gave us 3" on 0.5" liquid, with 8:1 ratios after it flipped.  Of course being cold and sticking to the street is critical.  It doesn't matter  for measuring purposes, but the impact sucks, especially in a city when so much surface area doesn't accept the snow., This morning wasn't bad.  Untreated sidewalks got covered and even in rush hour, some main city streets gave way, but it was just enough to say that it officially stuck to streets/sidewalks when in actuality it was like 0.3"...

I would love to analyze a list of the daytime snows that stuck well to the roads in the downtown core, say in the past fifteen seasons, just to see how often it happens and compare it to the suburbs. 

Here's my guess (since I don't live or work in downtown DC)-- let me know if any of these are wrong and if there are additional ones:

00/01: Was 12/19 during the daytime?, 2/22

01/02: none

02/03: 12/5, 1/5, 2/16

03/04: none? (12/14 changed over around sunrise, 1/26 was over by sunrise)

04/05: 1/19?, 1/22 

05/06: very tail end of 2/11?

06/07: 2/25

07/08: 1/17?

08/09: 1/27, 3/1

09/10: 12/19, 1/30, 2/6, 2/10

10/11: none? (Did 12/16 stick on the street downtown?, sun was going down during 1/26)

11/12: none

12/13: none

13/14: Was 3/2 the only one? 

14/15: 1/6, 2/16, 2/21

I would love to analyze a list of the daytime snows that stuck well to the roads in the downtown core, say in the past fifteen seasons, just to see how often it happens and compare it to the suburbs. 

Here's my guess (since I don't live or work in downtown DC)-- let me know if any of these are wrong and if there are additional ones:

00/01: Was 12/19 during the daytime?, 2/22

01/02: none

02/03: 12/5, 1/5, 2/16

03/04: none? (12/14 changed over around sunrise, 1/26 was over by sunrise)

04/05: 1/19?, 1/22 

05/06: very tail end of 2/11?

06/07: 2/25

07/08: 1/17?

08/09: 1/27, 3/1

09/10: 12/19, 1/30, 2/6, 2/10

10/11: none? (Did 12/16 stick on the street downtown?, sun was going down during 1/26)

11/12: none

12/13: none

13/14: Was 3/2 the only one? 

14/15: 1/6, 2/16, 2/21

I'll go over in more detail later, but off the top of my head in terms of the ones you posted.

00/01: Was 12/19 during the daytime?, 2/22 - out of town for 12/19, 2/22 for sure

01/02: none - correct

02/03: 12/5, 1/5, 2/16 - correct on all 3

03/04: none? (12/14 changed over around sunrise, 1/26 was over by sunrise) - correct

04/05: 1/19?, 1/22 - both

05/06: very tail end of 2/11? - I was in MT pleasant, but it was winding down, and the streets were already covered so can't say

06/07: 2/25 - yes

07/08: 1/17? - let me get back to you on this one

08/09: 1/27, 3/1 - yes, same as 2/11-12

09/10: 12/19, 1/30, 2/6, 2/10 - yes

10/11: none? (Did 12/16 stick on the street downtown?, sun was going down during 1/26) - I need to get back to you but I think yes on 12/16

11/12: none - yes

12/13: none - yes

13/14: Was 3/2 the only one? no...1/21 stuck fairly well by mid afternoon, and 2/25 I'd compare to today - quasi-stickage, full white on sidewalks...quasi coverage on streets, so I don't think it counts

14/15: 1/6, 2/16, 2/21 - yes

I don't mind low ratio snow. I think the 'sticky' stuff is usually best for photography unless you have a deep pile.. so I'd go with near freezing and light winds in most cases if I had to choose just based on that alone. Of course those seem to always happen on a work day hah. As predicted I didn't wake up till after 8a as it was winding down.. but even by then snow was falling off trees. Not much if any full sun but it was cooking thru the clouds either way. Def an issue when we start around 32 and only go up as the sun rises. I don't care too much about snow cover other than from a "hmm it's been here a long time" kind of way. It gets gross and old rather quick here usually.. not to mention the slush puddles and sidewalks still not cleared 10+ days after the first event.  Side roads were decently covered up here this morning but exposed surfaces have been taking in sun for a few days so they're not as cold as they once were.

Archived