joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm Feb 25 and 26

nrgjeff

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAP is looking pretty decent for the eastern half of TN and the event isn't done at the end of it's range.  It's worth noting that with yesterday's storm radar over performed relative to RAP/HRRR even right up to the last minute.  Those models even initialized with less on their sim radars than what the actual radar was showing.

On the actual live radar, this storm is huge. Seems to have a favorable trajectory.

I agree, already very large precip shield, looks like a comma already forming, and to me watching it live it appears to already have an ENE movement.  It doesn't look like it moving due east, I wouldn't say its moving NE, but definitely ENE.  ENE from TX would move heavier totals north for sure.

post-11228-0-79973300-1424868485_thumb.j

MRX HWO from this morning:

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT...

PATCHY DENSE FREEZING FOG CAN BE EXPECTED EARLY THIS MORNING. THE
FOG WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO ONE-QUARTER MILE OR LESS. THE
FREEZING FOG COMBINED WITH REFROZEN WATER ON AREA ROADWAYS WILL
PRODUCE SOME BLACK ICE.

A WINTER WEATHER SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA THIS EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING PRODUCING HEAVY SNOWFALL OVER THE SOUTHERN
TENNESSEE VALLEY...FAR SOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...AND THE HIGHER
TERRAIN OF THE SMOKY MOUNTAINS. LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL WILL
ALSO OCCUR ACROSS THE REST OF EAST TENNESSEE INTO SOUTHWEST
VIRGINIA.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 7 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE WARNING
AREA WITH GENERALLY 2 TO 4 INCHES IN THE ADVISORY. SNOW AND ICE
COVERED ROADWAYS LATE TODAY THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING WILL MAKE
TRAVEL DIFFICULT ACROSS THE AREA. ALSO...THE SNOW TEXTURE WILL BE
FAIRLY WET ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. THE WET SNOW MAY DOWN SOME
TREES AND POWER LINES WITH LOCALIZED POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...

SNOW SHOWERS OR FLURRIES WILL CONTINUE THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
MORNING. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 1 INCH ARE EXPECTED
ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS WITH A DUSTING POSSIBLE ACROSS THE
NORTHERN AND CENTRAL TENNESSEE VALLEY.

Radar returns are already getting close to Memphis...  I really think this afternoon MRX will upgrade the rest of the Valley counties eastward to warning.  

It doesn't really matter at this point, but I'd be stunned if they did. Campbell County got 8-10 inches last year under a WWA that never changed during the event.

East or west? What do you think happens with this, John?

East, the sim radar didn't have reflectivity in Alabama at all at 8 am but it was nearly to Georgia already. 

I think MRX has it handled pretty well, there will be areas in the advisory that probably meet warning criteria and some parts of the warning area will probably exceed 6 inches. But overall the graphic that says 2-5 in the WWA and 4-7 in the warned areas is probably pretty solid.

East, the sim radar didn't have reflectivity in Alabama at all at 8 am but it was nearly to Georgia already.

I think MRX has it handled pretty well, there will be areas in the advisory that probably meet warning criteria and some parts of the warning area will probably exceed 6 inches. But overall the graphic that says 2-5 in the WWA and 4-7 in the warned areas is probably pretty solid.

I think it will depend on the comma head. If it is stout...we overperform. If not 1-3". The NAM moved a more solid precip shield into the Valley. Anyone have a clown map for the regular 12z NAM?

Edit: Thanks, Stove! I told you all that it shifted.

I think this is a case of the models finally catching-on to how strong the storm is. I don't know that the storm is jogging north as much as the precip shield has been undermodeled. Good trend. Now let's see where it takes us. Hey, if someone wants to track the trends on the RAP(yes, I don't like it) and see if the precip is expanding west with each run. The NAM has been pretty good for the past few...so, I definitely give weight to its trends.

Archived