• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

Where is the Super Mega Block that the reliable ensembles predicted?  I mean, the ensembles are where it's at for long range forecasting, right?

We only get faux blocking now. Its the new -NAO. Probably has something to do with all the dirty glacier ice in Greenland.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the Super Mega Block that the reliable ensembles predicted? I mean, the ensembles are where it's at for long range forecasting, right?

?

That was a week ago and it was transient as expected

Ensembles have been killing it with the -epo regime and general longwave pattern for the last month. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

?

Ensembles have been killing it with the -epo regime and general longwave pattern for the last month. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Just a guess, but probably he is making the point that the long range models have advertised decent blocking quite often this (past)winter, and it never verified. Transient stuff....well, 36 hour blocks don't really have much impact, and in my book that doesn't count. Zero impact on sensible weather, so not really worth a mention. EPO is another matter entirely.

Why is there a 40% chance for snow in my NWS forecast for both Saturday and Saturday night? Is there something I'm not aware of?

Guidance has been hinting at a weak trough(Norlun-ish?) to the west of a developing storm well off the coast. Could produce some rain or snow showers. Not a big deal. So no you do not need to be aware of, or on alert for, anything significant ;)

?

About 2 weeks ago, or so, I remember talk of a massive blocking pattern. You are saying it happened?

About 2 weeks ago, or so, I remember talk of a massive blocking pattern. You are saying it happened?

But none of us said it wasn't going to be transient or the start of a new regime. It happened but not as extreme as some of the runs 8 days out. 

Here's the GEFS run I posted saying it was an impressive upper air pattern:

post-2035-0-07816000-1426101521.jpg

And here's the verification during the 17th-20th. Still had a -ao/nao and 50/50. Ensembles picked up on this period 10 days out. They did damn good. 

post-2035-0-70427900-1427327618_thumb.jp

Maybe Bob is right. We did have snow Friday. I certainly wasn't paying attention to the upper pattern. I was too busy griping about the snow.

We had snow pretty often from early Feb forward, with a +AO/NAO. The cold and storminess was Pacific driven... EPO/PNA. Little if any help on the Atlantic side. I agree with you on the poor verification, wrt to advertised -NAO of any significance on long term guidance, if thats what you were getting at.

We had snow pretty often from early Feb forward, with a +AO/NAO. The cold and storminess was Pacific driven... EPO/PNA. Little if any help on the Atlantic side. I agree with you on the poor verification, wrt to advertised -NAO of any significance on long term guidance, if thats what you were getting at.

To be fair, guidance advertised a raging +ao/nao the vast majority of the winter. The blocking looks were always d10+ and never impressive. I don't recall the numerical index d10+ ever being below -1sd and it was always fleeting when it showed up in lala land.

In general, lr ens guidance did really well. Especially inside of d10.

To be fair, guidance advertised a raging +ao/nao the vast majority of the winter. The blocking looks were always d10+ and never impressive. I don't recall the numerical index d10+ ever being below -1sd and it was always fleeting when it showed up in lala land.

In general, lr ens guidance did really well. Especially inside of d10.

Yes, I generally agree. But there were several occasions where there were at least strong hints (at longer leads) of a developing neg NAO, which never came to fruition. The LR did very well wrt EPO and PNA pattern obviously. 

SREF, GGEM, and to a lesser extent, NAM, all have snow showers this weekend. Actually, GGEM is pretty aggressive. No mention of this in the forecast discussion, which is probably prudent, since it won't happen. At any rate, sort of an interesting discussion here on the cold air:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
STRONG COLD ADVECTION AT LOW LEVELS CONTINUES AS THE CORE OF
UNSEASONABLY COLD AIR MOVES OUT OF THE GREAT LAKES REGION AND INTO
THE NORTHEAST...BRUSHING THE NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC. 850 HPA TEMPS
PROGGED IN THE -9C TO -13C RANGE SATURDAY. EXAMINATION OF UPPER AIR
RECORDS SHOWS ONLY ABOUT A DOZEN TIMES HAS 850 TEMPS FALLEN TO -10C
OR LOWER FROM MAR 27 INTO APRIL
. WITH DECENT CAA ON SATURDAY...
SHOULD BE ENOUGH MOISTURE FOR STRATO-CU DECK. WHERE CLOUDS HOLD...
TEMPS WILL STRUGGLE INTO THE 40S EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE AND
LOW/MID 40S EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE. HOWEVER...IF THE DECK GETS WIPED
OUT DUE TO LACK OF MOISTURE AND/OR DOWNSLOPING THEN THE RELATIVE
WARMTH OF LATE MARCH SUN COULD CAUSE TEMPS TO OVERCOME CAA AND RISE
A CAT OR TWO HIGHER THEN FORECAST. STILL...UNSEASONABLY COLD AND
BRISK ON SATURDAY.

AO looks to go negative over the next week, associated with the seasonal breakdown of the PV. Can say with pretty high certainty that the period around the 4th is our last chance for flakes. The preceding air mass looks extremely marginal, though that's to be expected for April. Maybe, just maybe the western burbs can pull something off.

this Winter returning for the last 10 days of march was a complete bust. It was cold enough for a few snow events but very dissapointed that we couldnt even get a decent storm to develop. All the long range models that showed a stormy pattern were just wrong. What a sucky end to a mediocre winter

this Winter returning for the last 10 days of march was a complete bust. It was cold enough for a few snow events but very dissapointed that we couldnt even get a decent storm to develop. All the long range models that showed a stormy pattern were just wrong. What a sucky end to a mediocre winter

Everything was too linear and progressive. It was obvious that nothing was going to happen, the trough axis wasn't digging far enough west.

This was in part due to the west coast ridge, which was so insane that it crushed everything and caused nothing but cold and dry. I hope this 2013-2014 pattern is done.

Never change. 

We should all be worried about next winter. Very worried. I may cancel it by August.

We should all be worried about next winter. Very worried. I may cancel it by August.

Canceling before the end of October would be foolish. SAI. Cohen is a genius. He apparently has invented, on the fly, a new connection between Eurasian snow-cover and the EPO...or the PNA, or both. Cold is cold, regardless of the delivery mechanism. He predicted cold. Cold came.

Canceling before the end of October would be foolish. SAI. Cohen is a genius. He apparently has invented, on the fly, a new connection between Eurasian snow-cover and the EPO...or the PNA, or both. Cold is cold, regardless of the delivery mechanism. He predicted cold. Cold came.

That connection has been long established. A simple search in Google Scholar will show plenty of research, before Cohen, with that connection. But keep buying into the hype.

Archived