Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, even up here I am skeptical but its all we have left to track so why not

Would be nice to have some sort of unusual late March storm. Really not much to discuss for at least another 5-7 days. Gotta get cold in here first so it will be a bit of a process to get source region right. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if we run into a lengthier -NAO in the weeks/mo ahead. Seems we have in recent springs/even into summers (minus maybe 2013?). Might as well mess with severe season at this point too. :P

Could happen. Which is a bit unfortunate. I was ready to call it a season this weekend. The 12z euro had one heck of a burly block at the end of the run. No way that goes away without some sort of fight. 

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

How can one week make a difference? If your talking stats of it happening fine, but the storm doesn't know what the date is. It's snowed here in April.  

During transition months one week can make a fairly large difference even with the identical pattern. A storm might not know what date it is but the column does. As far as april goes, IAD hasn't had an inch in April since 1996, BWI since 1944, and DC since 1924. No matter which way you shake it, snow in March past the 20th is a big longshot even with a sick H5 pattern. 

How can one week make a difference? If your talking stats of it happening fine, but the storm doesn't know what the date is. It's snowed here in April.  

Climo rapidly becomes more hostile.... at this time of the year, every few days counts.

I can think of many more storms that happened in mid-March than after March 20th.

During transition months one week can make a fairly large difference even with the identical pattern. A storm might not know what date it is but the column does. As far as april goes, IAD hasn't had an inch in April since 1996, BWI since 1944, and DC since 1924. No matter which way you shake it, snow in March past the 20th is a big longshot even with a sick H5 pattern. 

Agreed. But maybe this is the winter of sick patterns. Winters here are ending later, at least the last two have. :)

Agreed. But maybe this is the winter of sick patterns. Winters here are ending later, at least the last two have. :)

The only thing that will make me happy with what is being advertised starting late next week is some measurable snow. Otherwise it's really going to suck. Time to warm up and dry out. I'm ready to have some afternoons with the windows open and the heat off. 

The only thing that will make me happy with what is being advertised starting late next week is some measurable snow. Otherwise it's really going to suck. Time to warm up and dry out. I'm ready to have some afternoons with the windows open and the heat off. 

Yep, me too.  I'd like to be able to turn the heat off for a little while before I have to turn on the AC.

I agree with that too. I haven't had the opportunity to sneak onto the golf course for well over a month.

Wow, euro ens keep getting colder in the d9-15 range. On the 24th, mean 850 0c line is all the way down to northern GA/SC. It looks pretty cold for late march here from the 19th-25th. Early prediction is 2-4 feet of complaining. 

What a terrible pattern. Days and days of low-to-mid 40s. Shoot me now.  Might need to bring sweaters to NO. 

Wow, euro ens keep getting colder in the d9-15 range. On the 24th, mean 850 0c line is all the way down to northern GA/SC. It looks pretty cold for late march here from the 19th-25th. Early prediction is 2-4 feet of complaining.

Hecs is worth it

Picking up light 15 minutes per week so what we just had a week ago would have had lot more problems two weeks later. 

Archived