Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed school and went skiing at Timberline that day.

DUDE! I drove down March 24th around 6-7 oclock and as soon as I hit Cumberland it started snowing if I recall. I got to Canaan valley resort (the hotel/lodge there) around 10 or so and it was snowing pretty good but not as hard as I thought it would. Got up the next day, hit Timberline and they had probably 14+ inches. It was an insane day. Cherry Bowl and the other glades had a big base the entire March.

Last year the base was never as good, but I hit every March storm but the 31st. My friend went and he said it was awesome that day. I did happen to hit Whitetail February 13 (I think? Our biggest snow last year.) There had to have been 20 inches at least that day and if you fell in the powder it was hard to get up! Everywhere was trackable.

Whitetail yesterday was really good, prob 10 inches of snow at the end of it. Decent base in the woods, some areas better than others but Exhibition was great (a mogul run).

I haven't been there yet this year but I was about to do the same thing Wednesday night, drive down, spend the night and hit it in the morning.. They got  over a foot, which would've been awesome considering the 15+ inch base they already had in the trees.

I hope we get another good storm white T-Line still has a solid base. I haven't been snowboarding much this year but have been either during/after a storm or the day after. I'm a bit bummed I havent gone much this year but timing has been bad with work/school. I'm game for another snow storm as long as the ski resorts get some good snow too (if they happen to be open.) So bring on more snow!

who said it would be a surprise? spin spin spin. plenty of talk about big potential, return of the miller A in -nao to go out with a bang etc.. it's d10 and beyond lol. worst thing ever is someone to say that. unfettered snow cheerleading.

INGWjkj.jpg

careful...you downplayed, if not poo-poo'ed, Thursday's event 5 days out too

anything's possible in MAR as long as we can revert back to the pattern of the last 3+ weeks after next week's break

The 3" on March 25th (overnight) 2013 was the highest of the season for me. It's the system that "turned the tide" for sucky winters here in the D.C. area. March hasn't been the same since :)

That's the one snowfall I missed since I moved here. Came back from New York at the end of spring break and there was still spotty patches of snow in the shade. Must have been a decent 4" here.

Which snow removal personality type are you? LMAO

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2014/11/13/the-snow-removal-personality-types/sqbJwst3Cj3c07EJ0xmyFK/story.html

They forgot to include 17. 'The Jebman'. This guy is out constantly trying to shovel the entire city of Boston. He follows a rigid set of snow removal rules known as 'Classic Jebman Standards'. By the time he is finished, thousands of plow operators are out of work and destitute. Not a single flake of white gold can be found on any street or sidewalk in Boston.

LMAO

Which snow removal personality type are you? LMAO

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2014/11/13/the-snow-removal-personality-types/sqbJwst3Cj3c07EJ0xmyFK/story.html

They forgot to include 17. 'The Jebman'. This guy is out constantly trying to shovel the entire city of Boston. He follows a rigid set of snow removal rules known as 'Classic Jebman Standards'. By the time he is finished, thousands of plow operators are out of work and destitute. Not a single flake of white gold can be found on any street or sidewalk in Boston.

LMAO

These days I outsource I lot of my shoveling to the sun. I have a blower but would rather shovel. End of driveway is most annoying area for me.

Was that storm any good?

Sounded pretty intense. 

"March 19-21, 1958A slow moving nor'easter struck rather late in the season in 1958 causing huge amounts of property damage. Over a foot of  heavy wet snow took a heavy toll on trees, shrubs, television antennas, power and communication lines. Carroll, Baltimore and Harford Counties was hardest hit. In Baltimore City,  the storm began as rain during the day of the 19th but changed to heavy wet snow for the slushy commute home. It also changed to snow quickly to the northwest as the ground gained in elevation and the temperature fall. The Mount Washington section of Baltimore received 24 to 30 inches of snow. This section is just a 100 feet higher than the rest of the city. On Parr Ridge in Mount Airy, Carroll County, a weather reporter measued 33 inches of snow from the storm (4.03 inches liquid equivalent). Other reports included 29 inches at Parkton, 24.5 inches at Bentley Springs, 23 inches at Conowingo Dam and in Delaware, 27 inches at Middletown. For Westminister, 30 inches from this storm combined with two snows earlier in the month for a March snow total of 42 inches!  Hagerstown saw 16 inches with areas to the west receiving considerably less. The Lower Eastern Shore saw 3 inches with areas to the north like Denton receiveing 13 inches.

Thousands of homes were without heat, light, power, and telephone service.  Up to a million homes lost phone service and 2000 poles came down. 300,000 homes lost electricity including the entire communities of Frederick, Annapolis, Aberdeen, Bel Air, and Havre De Grace. For many, it was over a week before power was restored.  Baltimore Gas and Electric estimated the storm damage to be 3 times greater than that of Hurricane Hazel in 1954. Major arteries were blocked by abandoned cars and fallen trees and branches. Damage was $10 million in Maryland and there were 8 deaths in the state attributed to the storm."

Source: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/winter/md-winter.html

Ops and ensembles are unanimous with the nao going negative on the 15th. So 8 days away and not 10+. If it fails it will be the closest range fail of the year.

I thought we got to about 7-8 days in December when the ensembles were unanimous in giving us a KU pattern by Xmas.  Remember we were getting epic analogs like 12/19/09?  That went *poof* pretty fast.

Archived