joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently for DC - I'd toss the Ukmet and I'm not even posting the SREF...looks like 1" for me

12zEuro - 0.07"

18z GFS - 0.09"

18z RGEM - 0.10"

12zUkmet - 0.15"

12zGGEM - 0.07"

18z NAM - 0.08"

18z 4k NAM - 0.11"

i haven't had a chance to look at maps, but it seems like we're dealing with a decent qpf producing storm, so maybe we don't need a big shift north to get into some decent stuff as opposed to a clipper type system.

The comment was based upon the past week demonstrating something that does happen quite often to Richmond. The Saturday storm was a good one just one hour west and north of here. No accumulation in Richmond at all. Thursday looks to be bigger south and east of here, while I don't think it will be a 12.26.2004 style shutout, it still looks to be more of an event one hour south and east. Looking back over past decade there are numerous instances of Richmond kind of falling into a gap between systems that produce from the mountains up though NOVa (or just in NOVa) and systems that produce through the far south side into Hampton Roads. Yes. Richmond is at about 7.4 inches for the year now, but if you look back you'll see empirically that few reporting stations in the Mid-Atlantic, and East Coast as a whole, have achieved their yearly average as rarely as Richmond recently. Area has been in a snow drought. Just noting that trend.

Archived