joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15z SREF: 

attachicon.gifSREF3.jpg

Extend that to the 24-h ending 00Z Friday, and both the 0.25" and 0.50" lines are back farther west/north than what's in this plot (which ends at 15Z Thu.).  As has been noted, there is a bit of a shift south and east, but it doesn't look as dramatic as the above graphic.

ETA:  I see it's been corrected already, noting it's a 6-h total. :)

It's worth noting in the 15z SREF that only 4 of 21 members have less than 0.1" liquid for DC.    But they're all NMM members, which are initialized off of the GFS.       And of the 3 "wet" NMM members, they're all under 0.2".        So if the GFS is right, the overall wet SREF solution *may* be meaningless.    That said, all of the ARW and NMB members (initialized off of the RAP and NAM, respectively) are at least 0.25" for DC.

It's worth noting in the 15z SREF that only 4 of 21 members have less than 0.1" liquid for DC.    But they're all NMM members, which are initialized off of the GFS.       And of the 3 "wet" NMM members, they're all under 0.2".        So if the GFS is right, the overall wet SREF solution *may* be meaningless.    That said, all of the ARW and NMB members (initialized off of the RAP and NAM, respectively) are at least 0.25" for DC.

Thanks for explaining that.  Wonder if the NAM will lean more towards the SREFs this upcoming 18z run

I would think so, but based on the 9z SREF, I expected the 12z NAM to be north, and that didn't really happen.

That said, the NAM nest is not chopping off the northwest corner of the precip shield like the parent NAM is;  the 12z NAM solution probably should have been wetter than it was.    The simulated reflectivity product looked much better than the QPF did.

Thanks for explaining that.  Wonder if the NAM will lean more towards the SREFs this upcoming 18z run

1/28-29/14 all the models shifted 24 hours out - the 1/28 0z runs, and then kind of held there...before that there were runs where the precip shield completely missed DC...I only got 1", but it was still snow.  This storm, the models already have the precip shield 100+ miles NW of that one. 

good news for us weenies

I noticed as well that the 12Z Ukie weakened the n/s kicker from its 0Z run giving the southern stream storm some more "breathing room"

if the other models key on that, we'll see them trend better I suspect

0.5 would be nice, but i'll assume .05.  sounds like good trends today.  80sstylesnowtown.

yeah corrected .. north edge didn't move much but everythign else shifted north maybe 25-50 or so? .25" closing in on EZF. 

Archived