• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

Looking at the 3z SREF plumes, the members that have pretty much nothing for DC are all members that are initialized off of the GFS.     This is completely  consistent with the dry solution of the GFS run.   Whatever the GFS is or isn't picking up in the initial state is influencing most of its SREF members.    Maybe the GFS is right, but it's hard to ignore that most of the members initialized off of the NAM and RAP are wetter.    Given that the 6z GFS seemed to be finally picking up on a north trend, it will be interesting to see if the 9z SREF mean is wetter.

Edit:  I see that the 9z SREF mean just came in with the 0.5" line up to DC.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What annoys me with this storm is that if it slowed down just a bit there would have been potential for it to phase with the trailing short wave.

last weeks lead wave did the same thing. I don't think it's necessarily just the timing though. This year since the +nao -epo pattern set in we haven't had anything phase south of us. The stj either cuts up west of us or stays squashed south. Getting anything to bomb off the va capes seems a lost cause in this pattern.

Looking at the 3z SREF plumes, the members that have pretty much nothing for DC are all members that are initialized off of the GFS.     This is completely  consistent with the dry solution of the GFS run.   Whatever the GFS is or isn't picking up in the initial state is influencing most of its SREF members.    Maybe the GFS is right, but it's hard to ignore that most of the members initialized off of the NAM and RAP are wetter.    Given that the 6z GFS seemed to be finally picking up on a north trend, it will be interesting to see if the 9z SREF mean is wetter.

Edit:  I see that the 9z SREF mean just came in with the 0.5" line up to DC.

Wow, just saw that. Significantly wetter. Will be interesting to see 12z guidance. If the SREF is right it would be a big win, if not a HUGE bust because they've been consistently snowy for the past couple days especially along the eastern shore of MD for Thursday while global models haven't been. We will see!

last weeks lead wave did the same thing. I don't think it's necessarily just the timing though. This year since the +nao -epo pattern set in we haven't had anything phase south of us. The stj either cuts up west of us or stays squashed south. Getting anything to bomb off the va capes seems a lost cause in this pattern.

you just received 8-9" of snow from the cr@p pattern you are again complaining about.....I don't get it

The SREF plumes are just absolutely ridiculous......

Means:

EZF: 8.3

DCA: 7.2

BWI: 6.5

RIC: 8.9

IAD: 6.9

OKV: 6.8

All of these have extreme outliers near or above 20"......but I think the further South you go its possible 1-3 inches could fall.....not really sure where this is going.

The mean is over 4 inches even up here. Hope we all cash in.

Leesburg only wants an inch so I hope for his sake IAD is much lower

Nah he can have 7" its alright. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm in on this one. I'd like to see the NAM continue to make similar moves because the other globals are not reassuring. H5 is intruiging a la Ian but I'm not gung ho on BWI even seeing an inch.

;)

the reason the SREF came north is because of the phase (not phasing) of the main shortwave and the kicker. In the 9z package, they are more oriented for a phase than in any other model. The more the first shortwave slows down and/or the second one speeds up, the more the system will dig and the better chance for it to come up the coast. We need about a 12 hour difference in timing. All will be clear by 0z tonight, and if things line up, there could be major shifts in the models.

you just received 8-9" of snow from the cr@p pattern you are again complaining about.....I don't get it

I made a statement of fact. I'm didnt nor am I complaining about my snow. I'm happy with what I got this week. but I was pointing out that all of our snow has come from systems from the west or southwest, not up the coast. It's been hard to get coastals this year. Just not the pattern for that. I am rooting for this to break that trend of course. It could the flow isn't hostile at all for it to shift north more even. I agree with highzenburg though that had this been 24 hours slower it could have phased with the northern stream system. Then we might be discussing if it's 1 or 2 feet vs 1 or 2 inches. Also I love big storms. I'd give up all my under 4" snows to get one big one each year. Just my preference. While I got 3" last Monday night I was disapointed that lead wave amped and killed what could have been a big storm behind it. While happy with the 12" I got the last week I will always take more. I try to be very generous in most things but I'm a greedy bastard with snow. Btw weren't you in the group trying to argue winter was over a month ago and I was pointing out all the years where Baltimore went into feb with similar snow to this year then got to near or above avg. this is a crap pattern for an hecs but a good one for snow in general.

the reason the SREF came north is because of the phase (not phasing) of the main shortwave and the kicker. In the 9z package, they are more oriented for a phase than in any other model. The more the first shortwave slows down and/or the second one speeds up, the more the system will dig and the better chance for it to come up the coast. We need about a 12 hour difference in timing. All will be clear by 0z tonight, and if things line up, there could be major shifts in the models.

agree this is what highzenburg and myself were saying earlier when it looked like they were not going to phase. I would have to see the individual runs to see how they pull it off. Are they slowing the lead wave, speeding up the northern stream, both, or perhaps leaving enough behind to pop a second low.

agree this is what highzenburg and myself were saying earlier when it looked like they were not going to phase. I would have to see the individual runs to see how they pull it off. Are they slowing the lead wave, speeding up the northern stream, both, or perhaps leaving enough behind to pop a second low.

Hey man. ;)

I dunno could be short range model shenanigans. Why are the globals not picking it up?

Archived