Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Into Not A Morch Pattern Discussion

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid march has the sun angle of 10/1. Retention is not possible without a lot of snow out of the sky.

Need both a lot of snow and a lot of cloudy days. The fabled March 2001 succeeded in that for N ORH county into CNE. The pack increased by 1-2 feet from Mar 1 to Apr 1. Really hard to do that....well 1997 did it too, but for a different reason, lol...2-3 feet fell on 3/31-4/1...but 2001 did it on multiple events.

This is truly disheartening. Tips sun just destroys

The first week of March looks stormy with some cold around

@growingwisdom: Here's an idea how fast snow melts next month. Worcester lost 30 inches even in a very cold March w/6" new. 1969 http://t.co/uSmGebH2p1

Which is why without a NIce fat Ridge or a -NAO I am not Thrilled about the pattern going forward and i haven't hidden that bc in late season it is more about big bombs for me than early to middle season, however...there are reasons to be optimistic or biased toward optimism lol

Long story short ,  I'm left hoping for -EPO to stick around longer than progged as well as  the -PNA to be not overly so, perhaps so that we can maintain the cold and cash in on a record (and my natural gas long position)  and so that my NNE Spring skiing remain robust.

@growingwisdom: Here's an idea how fast snow melts next month. Worcester lost 30 inches even in a very cold March w/6" new. 1969 http://t.co/uSmGebH2p1

Seasons being seasons.  Tune up the mower, place your Lesco order.

My Deere started right up yesterday.  It sits in our unheated outbuilding.  Would that my truck would start.  I hate having to jump that damn thing.

February is running a tad bit colder than -7C below normal for the month. The same type of departure for March would feel balmy because of increased sun angle. It's all relative Kevin.

Edit: Last year's March ran about -3-4C below normal so if the CFS is right and we run double that for negative departures than the highs of last year's March will be much lower so there is your comparison right there. So instead of upper teens and low 20s for highs in Feb sun we get upper 20s to low 30s, maybe ticking to mid 30s after the Solstice. 

Need both a lot of snow and a lot of cloudy days. The fabled March 2001 succeeded in that for N ORH county into CNE. The pack increased by 1-2 feet from Mar 1 to Apr 1. Really hard to do that....well 1997 did it too, but for a different reason, lol...2-3 feet fell on 3/31-4/1...but 2001 did it on multiple events.

Heck--it's melting on my driveway and rivulets (nothing like yesterday) going down the hill and it's 11.4/-6.  The sun will do what the sun does.

doesnt have to be at my house ill drive 5 miles in 2011 after irene i went to check out the flooding in downtown westfield that was a site to see i just like experiencing extremes my brother moed to florida last year and they are due for a hurricane if one is heading there this summer ill be there for sure 

If you're not in a flood zone you'll never experience it until you lose your home LOL

February is running a tad bit colder than -7C below normal for the month. The same type of departure for March would feel balmy because of increased sun angle. It's all relative Kevin.

Edit: Last year's March ran about -3-4C below normal so if the CFS is right and we run double that for negative departures than the highs of last year's March will be much lower so there is your comparison right there. So instead of upper teens and low 20s for highs in Feb sun we get upper 20s to low 30s, maybe ticking to mid 30s after the Solstice. 

Equinox ... you said Solstice but I think you mean equinox?

In any event, march is the end of winter -- that sums it up. Whether it happens in the last week of Feb, or the first week of April from year to year ... this forum irrationally fights it every year. Those that try and be objective about the onset of seasonal change, and even voice interest in warm season type events get the old subversive, under the radar trolling..

It's all relative. The pattern we went through is going away.

I'm glad you said it coastal, reading some other posts, not in the New England forum, but some people are under the impression that there is going to be no change in the pattern at all going into March next week and that the record cold and snow is just going to continue through March. I'm not sure what they are looking at

Nice to pick a year with a late Feb dump of nearly 20" with ratio about 15:1.  In 4-5 days that would settle to about half depth during a Jan cold snap.  Farmington, Maine lost 44" that same month even with 17" new.  (Of course, they had 82" OG on March 1.)

I'm glad you said it coastal, reading some other posts, not in the New England forum, but some people are under the impression that there is going to be no change in the pattern at all going into March next week and that the record cold and snow is just going to continue through March. I'm not sure what they are looking at

Well it still could be cold and active here, but the ridge retros west off the west coast, so that is changing. I'm not suggesting warmth or anything. It might get tougher further SW.

Archived