joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 23rd & 24th Winter Weather Discussion/OBS

Hvward

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snow is coming down pretty hard at the moment. I have actually been fighting a bit of mixing issues here as the temps around 850mb are only right at 0c here..so i've had these snow grains/melted flake pellets for the last few hours until now where it's mainly all snow/huge flakes. Just now accumulating..i bet if i drove 10 miles north of here there's been a lot more and vise versa to the south. Gfs had temps at 850mb very borderline here right now so I just barely made it.

Temp has dropped a degree here in the last 30 minutes.... I'm wondering if roads are going to start icing over in the upstate if temps keep plummetting.

well it is still snowing to beat the band here in ne ga.  streets are snow covered and very slippery (just took dog out lol). its 28, started as rain then changed to snow, things are pretty much closed up here today.  a little over 2" so far woo hoo

It still hasn't stopped snowing here. Just low level clouds and crappy radar coverage.

its been snowing nonstop since it started around 1 or so.  the breaks in the radar echos around here didnt mean the snow stopped - it was still coming down.  under the brighter echos (not the holes) it just pours out of the sky lol

well it is still snowing to beat the band here in ne ga. streets are snow covered and very slippery (just took dog out lol). its 28, started as rain then changed to snow, things are pretty much closed up here today. a little over 2" so far woo hoo

Congrats bro! Don't think we will reach 2" but def going over an inch. It's flat pourine now!

well it is still snowing to beat the band here in ne ga.  streets are snow covered and very slippery (just took dog out lol). its 28, started as rain then changed to snow, things are pretty much closed up here today.  a little over 2" so far woo hoo

how awesome is it that we will be getting an even bigger one in less than 36 hours? I can't recall that ever happening before here. In fact i can't recall it ever being 45 degrees here at midnight and 5 hours later it be snowing without a lot of evap cooling..instead this was all cold advection for the most part..really unusual for these parts.

snow is really coming down hard now with monster flakes. Some indications of a little bit banding on radar..hope i stay in this as long as possible so i can catch up lol

Well, nice morning in Cherokee! It is 28.6 degrees. We have had a mix of frozen rain and snow. I was outside for a little while shortly after 6am, and it was literally flipping back and forth between snow, and a couple minutes later misty freezing rain for a minute, then back to snow again. There is an ice glaze on things outside and perhaps just shy of 2" of snow (hard to measure when it's that little). Still lightly snowing for now.

The roads up here are a bit slushy everywhere and a little icy in some places. School closed for the day due to busing risk. i75 and l575 are both a mess and closed in spots by the highway patrol for ice (ramps and bridges mainly), hearing about perhaps a dozen accidents esp on 575. I believe that some of that is improving. (Still, nothing like Snowmageddon last year - as long as the wintry precip happens at night, most people stay home.) Highway patrol for Cherokee County asking people to stay off roads this morning.

Congrats bro! Don't think we will reach 2" but def going over an inch. It's flat pourine now!

lol same to you and burrell.  you might get close. there are some pretty hefty rates coming down at times :)

This last burst is heaviest yet!

Judging by radar, it must really be ripping in northern oconee/pickens county right now. There's some orange mixed in that band!!

woo hoo :snowing::snowman:

how awesome is it that we will be getting an even bigger one in less than 36 hours? I can't recall that ever happening before here. In fact i can't recall it ever being 45 degrees here at midnight and 5 hours later it be snowing without a lot of evap cooling..instead this was all cold advection for the most part..really unusual for these parts.

snow is really coming down hard now with monster flakes. Some indications of banding on radar..hope i stay in this as long as possible so i can catch up lol

:)

to be honest i have only been paying slight attention to the next one, until i saw gsp with the winter advisory out now and a winter storm watch out at the same time LOL.  its been a long long time since i have had back to backs while here in ga. 

it was near 60 yesterday here lol.  if we can eek out another 2-4" wed. i will be passed out cold on the floor and need reviving haha

ps. what am i going to need thur and fri more than anything? SLEEEEEEP! zzzzz lol

Archived