Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the latest CTP PNS statement, Lancaster County is well represented with 21 reports haha. Looks like I-83Blizzard and dcfox's monster totals exceed anything reported thus far.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=CTP&product=PNS

Wow, ANC-27 measurement stands out like a sore thumb in Dauphin county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State of the snowpack, despite all the freezing rain/rain we had Tuesday/Wednesday we only lost a couple inches. Down from near 16 to near 14" and about bulletproof right now. Being the weenie for glacier building I wanted another 10 on top of that lol. Already down to the mid teens for temps as well.. It's gonna be a cold night.

post-1507-0-00987200-1425598750_thumb.jp

Storm total of 8.6" here. I emptied the rain guage early this morning before the snow started accumulating and melted the snow down to .67" of liquid for a 13:1 ratio. After a slow start to this winter season I am now at 37.9" which is 143% of climo. Not one complaint from me if I don't see another flake until next season.

I'm a bit bummed for the more northern guys but I think when we look at the winter season as a whole we all had our turns and it wasn't as dismal as many feared in early Feb. Measured an approximate 9.5 in Shiloh, west York.

Not really.

Now for the record, I'm not bitter that we didn't get much out of this one...it'll melt faster...I hope.

I'd say that the I-81 corridor from about Pine Grove northward to Scranton really didn't have chances (unless you count digital snow). The biggest snowfall here was 5 inches, but I can't really verify that because I was out on the road and was relying on my wife's estimate. Prior to, and after that, the only snow that I personally saw was of the 1-3 inch variety. Sure we have nearly a foot of snowpack, but it really was nickel and dimed, and if it were a normal winter temperature-wise, we'd probably have not even half that on the ground. It was the extreme cold that allowed it to perservere.

It's like I said in the complaint thread. personally, I'd rather have four 10 inch snowstorm than twenty 2 inch snowstorms to reach my average.

State of the snowpack, despite all the freezing rain/rain we had Tuesday/Wednesday we only lost a couple inches. Down from near 16 to near 14" and about bulletproof right now. Being the weenie for glacier building I wanted another 10 on top of that lol. Already down to the mid teens for temps as well.. It's gonna be a cold night.

attachicon.gifpost-1507-0-10827900-1425598580.jpg

I feel like you have a good bit more than we do up here. I'd estimate 6-8" on average with much less in exposed spots.

It's brutal out there once again with no real new snow to show for it sadly.

Not really.

Now for the record, I'm not bitter that we didn't get much out of this one...it'll melt faster...I hope.

I'd say that the I-81 corridor from about Pine Grove northward to Scranton really didn't have chances (unless you count digital snow). The biggest snowfall here was 5 inches, but I can't really verify that because I was out on the road and was relying on my wife's estimate. Prior to, and after that, the only snow that I personally saw was of the 1-3 inch variety. Sure we have nearly a foot of snowpack, but it really was nickel and dimed, and if it were a normal winter temperature-wise, we'd probably have not even half that on the ground. It was the extreme cold that allowed it to perservere.

It's like I said in the complaint thread. personally, I'd rather have four 10 inch snowstorm than twenty 2 inch snowstorms to reach my average.

I ALMOST added to my comment that you might be the outlier.  I have seen you get the fringe on significant accums multiple times this year.  Sorry for the bad luck!  C'mon spring!

I ALMOST added to my comment that you might be the outlier.  I have seen you get the fringe on significant accums multiple times this year.  Sorry for the bad luck!  C'mon spring!

It's all good. Glad for those who did well today. One year we'll get ours...lol

Some pictures from today.  Roads are an absolute mess down here.  School district announced two hour late but said they will reassess.  I don't see how they open considering how bad the roads are and how cold it will be.  Great event and I'm ready for Spring unless of course some huge Miller A crush job wants to hit all of us. 

post-1187-0-36189500-1425605461_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-29901400-1425605486_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-66068600-1425605502_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-26715800-1425605510_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-91072100-1425605535_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-45405700-1425605587_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-17898100-1425605609_thumb.jp

Great pictures Blizzard as always. This was a fun event for many. Just the fact it was March makes this incredibly memorable for me as this is my biggest March storm ever. Temps falling to 20 with the sun out made it an unbelievable scene. I'm happy the fringes like Blizzard and Mappy were finally able to cash in on this and make this a worth while season. I feel bad for Voyager and Hazelton because they really got the shaft this winter. I'd be a little upset too, but I know Voyager wants 75 and sunny now because of his job and I don't blame him one bit. After this event, I'm ready for Spring and summer. After a crummy start to winter, this past February leading up to today will be one of the most memorable winters I'll ever experience. If this is the last one, great bookend to a winter for all of Pennsylvania.

What stands out?

...DAUPHIN COUNTY...

ROCKVILLE 8.5 416 PM 3/05 ATOP BLUE MOUNTAIN

HARRISBURG INTERNATI 6.4 500 PM 3/05 ASOS

HUMMELSTOWN 6.3 1200 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLONIAL PARK 5.5 345 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

HERSHEY 5.5 310 PM 3/05 PUBLIC

MIDDLETOWN 5.5 411 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

HARRISBURG 5.0 1215 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

2 NNW HARRISBURG 5.0 425 PM 3/05 BROADCAST MEDIA

2 NW HARRISBURG 3.5 409 PM 3/05 BROADCAST MEDIA

Thanks guys! I'm a total snow weenie from December 1 through March 15. After that I want torch. Baseball season, crabbing, and long days are my passion. I don't like 1 to 3 inch events in March. It's go big or go home. Luckily this storm went big with banding and historic cold. After the 15th snow is useless due to sun angle. By then in ready to bring back the lawn and prime the gardens for April planting.

What stands out?

...DAUPHIN COUNTY...

ROCKVILLE 8.5 416 PM 3/05 ATOP BLUE MOUNTAIN

HARRISBURG INTERNATI 6.4 500 PM 3/05 ASOS

HUMMELSTOWN 6.3 1200 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLONIAL PARK 5.5 345 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

HERSHEY 5.5 310 PM 3/05 PUBLIC

MIDDLETOWN 5.5 411 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

HARRISBURG 5.0 1215 PM 3/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

2 NNW HARRISBURG 5.0 425 PM 3/05 BROADCAST MEDIA

2 NW HARRISBURG 3.5 409 PM 3/05 BROADCAST MEDIA

Hmmm...a certain TV station trying to verify its own forecast by placing the snowboard under a roof? lol

I measured 5.5" when I got home to Lemoyne. Great storm and now I'm officially ready for some spring. The snow covered Harrisburg Senators sign advertsing "Next Game April 9th" looks pretty sad right now.

Skies have cleared completely and the full moon is out shining brightly reflecting nicely off of the snowpack.  Temp down to 18.3, dew point down to 6.4.  Winds are steady 5-10 with gusts to 15, so no radiational cooling at the moment.  Full potential is there to drop like a rock once winds pull back to less than 3mph.

I melted down my snow (with a tiny bit of sleet at the beginning) and got 0.39".  So, with 5.9" of snow the ratio came out to a pretty amazing 15:1. 

Thanks to everyone here for making our subforum the very best.  We really are a great bunch of weenies.  :hug:

Archived