Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weren't conditions down there though quite dangerous yesterday? Though I think a compressed/delayed schedule probably would have worked better. Still better than WBASD; they've really become hypersensitive to snow...

Here in State College yesterday, it was rather icy early in the morning, which justified the late opening.  By 8:30 or 9, it was apparent that the above-freezing temperatures were generally melting the ice/sleet into a slush.  Thus, in my opinion, the all-day cancellation of classes was not justified.  I've caught some flak for that opinion, but whatever.  A lot of people giving me flak said that some people have to come from far away.  But, that argument doesn't hold water for me, as the roads were fine by then; it was the sidewalks, and only early on.  

Congrats to you guys down south. Wish we had something to show for it up here. Sounds like many of you guys are getting higher totals for a single storm than we've seen up here all winter (I think our max was something like 6-8?)

We got about 9" out of that event that was the NYC non-blizzard in the last week of January.  But, that didn't really feel like a storm.  The events that I'm going to remember from this winter are the 14 February snow squall and the surprise snowfall last Friday morning.  

Congrats to you guys down south. Wish we had something to show for it up here. Sounds like many of you guys are getting higher totals for a single storm than we've seen up here all winter (I think our max was something like 6-8?)

My highest total this year is 7" but that was over a couple days.

Browsing some PNS statements, yea Kentucky probably wins...wow. 

Some of the totals out of NWS Louisville's (they reported the range of reports in each county)

North Central Kentucky

Jefferson 8 - 12
Oldham 9 - 11
Henry 9 - 11
Shelby 15 - 17
Spencer 15 - 17
Bullitt 15 - 21
Hardin 16 - 25
Meade 9 - 11
Breckinridge 12 - 20
Hancock 8 - 10
Ohio 18 - 23
Nelson 15 - 22
Larue 12 - 18
Marion 10 - 12

East Central Kentucky

Franklin 17 - 19
Scott 14 - 20
Harrison 20 - 22
Nicholas 12 - 14
Bourbon 12 - 14
Fayette 12 - 15
Woodford 13 - 15
Anderson 13 - 17
Mercer 10 - 12
Jessamine 10 - 12
Clark 9 - 11
Madison 4 - 6
Garrard 7 - 9
Lincoln 5 - 7

So how does everyone think ABC-27 will handle their bust on the evening news?How's their Facebook page doing?Sent from my iPhone

Not. Pretty.

Here is one reply. Multiply it by 367 or so

Cynthia Hartwick I can get past the incorrect forecast, it's weather... I get it. What I can't forgive is the irresponsible manner of trying to act like you were "right on target" when clearly your forecast was WAY off for 95% of the area. It reeks of immaturity and its totally unprofessional. Brett Thackara owes the viewers an apology. .. we literally laughed out loud in my office at his Noon forecast when he was STILL trying to claim a victory and too arrogant to simply explain what really happened and why.

This was funny:

Chris Sheer sharp cut-off between your forecast and reality!

I do not condone bashing any met unless they're flippantly arrogant.

Not. Pretty.

Here is one reply. Multiply it by 367 or so

This was funny:

I do not condone bashing any met unless they're flippantly arrogant.

Refresh my memory, that was the one that had like t-3 south of the turnpike in the LSV right?

Refresh my memory, that was the one that had like t-3 south of the turnpike in the LSV right?

A coating in Harrisburg to 3" at the border.

From what I gather at noon the same met was on air claiming they were correct because Lewistown didn't get hardly any snow so the forecast was verified. That set people off.

Final Tally:  9.2" with 0.77" LEq since midnight (Etters, PA).  Started as IP just after midnight; quickly changed to light snow.  Became moderate and heavy at times after sunrise through noon.  A few bands came through afternoon with ~2" additional; however, the bulk of accumulation certainly occurred between sunrise and noon.

Hey Chris, you only beat me by 0.3".  I measured 5.9" on average.  I will melt it down a little later and come back with the liquid.  The ratio will be somewhat skewed downward because of the sleet that fell for a few hours after midnight.  I couldn't stay up late enough to wait for the complete changeover.  As it was, the first real flakes were only starting to mix in around 1:30am.

What made this storm particularly exciting for me, besides almost making it to 6", was the lull that temporarily ended it completely around 12:45.  The way the radar looked, it honestly looked like the northern edge was collapsing southward through me and you.  So I was bummed, thinking I was only going to end up with 3.5" for the whole storm.  Then, the surprise resurgence of the snow around 1:30 that rapidly ramped back up to heavy with the huge flakes.  It was the kind of surprise that you feel when you get way more than you thought you were going to get.  The next two hours of heavy snow was even more exciting than the 2 hours that fell before noon because of the huge flakes and the even greater accumulation rates.  I am more than satisfied.  It helped us down here in LSV-land to catch up with the northern crew at least somewhat.  Of course I certainly wouldn't have minded if this event included them too.

Now it's on to try and predict what tomorrow morning's low temps will be.  It's looking like there may not be much wind behind this system.  The clearing will probably be very rapid in a few more hours.  Then we'll see just how far the temp tumbles.  I think hitting zero is a real possibility with sub-zero even not off the table.

Here in State College yesterday, it was rather icy early in the morning, which justified the late opening.  By 8:30 or 9, it was apparent that the above-freezing temperatures were generally melting the ice/sleet into a slush.  Thus, in my opinion, the all-day cancellation of classes was not justified.  I've caught some flak for that opinion, but whatever.  A lot of people giving me flak said that some people have to come from far away.  But, that argument doesn't hold water for me, as the roads were fine by then; it was the sidewalks, and only early on.  

The ice was bad on the sidewalks and even my apartment's parking lot area through yesterday afternoon. Like... really bad. It wasn't gone by the morning except in areas that were pre-treated quite a bit, or areas with heavy traffic.

Yes, WBASD did close today, why, I have no idea. I just graduated out of the system in 2010 and even I'm already at the point of "When I was in school" stories. :lmao:

they did close for good reason, the roads were a disaster. it was a good call.. there was a layer of ice under the dusting.

A coating in Harrisburg to 3" at the border.

From what I gather at noon the same met was on air claiming they were correct because Lewistown didn't get hardly any snow so the forecast was verified. That set people off.

Looking at their f-book it did look like they updated first thing this morning to put 3-6 along the MD border. Still though, yea it sure did have a sharp cutoff.. but just a simple look at the near term models (or any model really) would've told them the LSV was gonna get a bunch more than t-3 (or 3-6 for that matter). Aside from the GFS doing whatever it was doing for a couple runs in the short term lead up, really wasn't any support for sub advisory max amounts in Harrisburg/York/LNS region. In the lead-up I thought it was more of a debate of if warning amounts were gonna verify or just higher advisory. The near term models (HRRR/RAP) looked to have handled this event quite well here as well as further southwest when the heavy snow came through Kentucky/WV/SW PA

Looking at their f-book it did look like they updated first thing this morning to put 3-6 along the MD border. Still though, yea it sure did have a sharp cutoff.. but just a simple look at the near term models (or any model really) would've told them the LSV was gonna get a bunch more than t-3 (or 3-6 for that matter). Aside from the GFS doing whatever it was doing for a couple runs in the short term lead up, really wasn't any support for sub advisory max amounts in Harrisburg/York/LNS region. In the lead-up I thought it was more of a debate of if warning amounts were gonna verify or just higher advisory. The near term models (HRRR/RAP) looked to have handled this event quite well here as well as further southwest when the heavy snow came through Kentucky/WV/SW PA

They at 5 said they tp finished with 3.5". I live 2 miles from their studio. sauss works probably 1/4 mile. He had 5" at 1:30 or so. I finished with a bit more than 6".

Something isn't right over there.

They at 5 said they tp finished with 3.5". I live 2 miles from their studio. sauss works probably 1/4 mile. He had 5" at 1:30 or so. I finished with a bit more than 6".

Something isn't right over there.

Maybe they measured in the parking lot lol. 

Archived