SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to go off topic and start a bashing war, but it is irresponsible to significantly undermine the NWS forecasts particularly when they have winter storm warnings issued. It is an interesting topic (certainly one that was highlighted greatly as this year's AMS conference), but I guess one for another day. Rant over. Enjoy the snow LSV. You deserve it this winter!

Do you think we've been doing that to them?  I am a huge supporter of the NWS.  My best friend is the meteorologist-in-charge of the Blacksburg, VA office.  I can get the inside scoop on things going on inside their office.  I think I will ask him to explain to me why CTP pulled back their warnings so quickly last night when only one run, really, seemed to show the heaviest axis pushing south of their CWA.  If I had to guess, I'd say there was a shift change that took place where the incoming guys' opinion on the 18Z runs were different from those who were going off shift.

When many of us on here are critical of any outlet's forecast, I don't think there is ever malice intended.  But, that having been said, we are all weenies and are thus subject to wildly swinging emotions as you well know.

What's so crazy is that just a little west of here, nothing. You getting anything up there, MAG? There seems to be a real hole from Blair and Bedford county over to like Mifflin and Juniata that has missed out on just about every event this year, with exception to the November event.

The difference between 6 inches and nothing in this one is just crazy.

Wow...judging by some of the recent posts, I lucked out big time. My Hanover load wasn't ready so I was given a Tioga load instead. No snow at all up here. It was pouring snow in Hazleton, but I ran out of it by the time I got to Bloomsburg, and by the time I got to the I-80/I-180 junction, the road was dry.

Now that we have at least a decent handle on what will ultimately transpire, how would you rate the various model performance leading up to this? I think the Euro was pretty steadfast in keeping some big numbers farther north. GFS looked south and dry most of the time until real close to game time. UKie seemed somewhere in between. NAM was mostly south but certainly juicy enough. Not sure how the GGEM faired.

I'd say Euro for the win at least for my area.

Now that we have at least a decent handle on what will ultimately transpire, how would you rate the various model performance leading up to this? I think the Euro was pretty steadfast in keeping some big numbers farther north. GFS looked south and dry most of the time until real close to game time. UKie seemed somewhere in between. NAM was mostly south but certainly juicy enough. Not sure how the GGEM faired.

I'd say Euro for the win at least for my area.

Absolutely Euro regained its throne, especially Euro Ensemble,

Which was consistent the last few days.

Moderate snow continues in Marysville.

Not to sound pessimistic, but that back end looks to be making steady progress east.  Might shut off quick around 5:00 pm.  All we have to do is get to 2:00 pm and then the sun isn't going to keep those roads wet.

That doesn't sound pessimistic at all. I thought our big show window was to end around 1-2pm?

Not to sound pessimistic, but that back end looks to be making steady progress east. Might shut off quick around 5:00 pm. All we have to do is get to 2:00 pm and then the sun isn't going to keep those roads wet.

You're not being pessimistic at all. You were on top of this storm from the word go. I'll take whatever falls till 2pm and anything after is bonus. Btw, these roads here are not just wet, they are disastrous. 2" packed on 741 down here in the Ville

Wow...judging by some of the recent posts, I lucked out big time. My Hanover load wasn't ready so I was given a Tioga load instead. No snow at all up here. It was pouring snow in Hazleton, but I ran out of it by the time I got to Bloomsburg, and by the time I got to the I-80/I-180 junction, the road was dry.

Voyager

You got  the best route today. Fry's Turkey Ranch on the return is some good eating.

Be Safe!

Super Doppler 8 showing an intense band stretching from Lebanon southwest through the capital city and on down into central Franklin county. I imagine that still needs to swing through areas to the east of there.

5" here and counting...

Hello neighbor. This is performing very nicely for our region. I think 8" is actually do able

You're not being pessimistic at all. You were on top of this storm from the word go. I'll take whatever falls till 2pm and anything after is bonus. Btw, these roads here are not just wet, they are disastrous. 2" packed on 741 down here in the Ville

Considering the heavy snow, cold air advection and lack of pre-treatment that is to be expected.  Once the sun starts dipping in the sky everything should give up.

Finally went outside and took a real measurement.  Apparently I was wishing the total to be higher than it was.  I am now officially at 3.3".  I know I was close to 1.5" 2 hours ago, so 1"/hr for the past 2 hours.  I don't know how much longer that northern edge will hold off from dropping south to me.  I'd guess about another hour to 90 minutes tops.  That will assure me reaching the 4" mark, so I will be happy and not complain.

Temp still dropping but slowly now, to 23.1.  Snow is still heavy but the winds have subsided so there isn't any blowing snow at the moment.

>>Voyager...I was just thinking of you and concerned about your runs today.  Glad to hear they sent you north instead of south!  :)

Hopefully Allweather is getting a few apologies (though I doubt it). Yesterday, I had given the decision makers at work a 4 - 7" call and some looked at me like I had 2 heads. Who'd have thought that could bust low.

Never any apologies ;)

But I don't need them. Verifying a forecast is my biggest thrill. This one will probably over-perform in many spots. Thanks for all your reports guys! Going to be a LONG day...wouldn't have it any other way!

Never any apologies ;)

But I don't need them. Verifying a forecast is my biggest thrill. This one will probably over-perform in many spots. Thanks for all your reports guys! Going to be a LONG day...wouldn't have it any other way!

You guys did a great job. Feel bad for the 27 mets today.

I think MDT can get to 8".

I am revising my wind-down time.  Skies have dramatically brightened in the last 5 minutes.  Latest radar frame shows the heavy stuff is probably going to end here in the next 15 to 30 minutes.  :cry:

yea it is moving southeast.   any mets think that precip in wv and oh can make its way into mdt or no way?

Never any apologies ;)

Great job in calling this one and thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I can only imagine how tough your job is in that you get one chance to tell the public what will happen while working with incomplete information. And you know that the only thing folks remember after the broadcast is "the number". Not the uncertainties or possibilities. And if "the number" isn't spot on, you get an earful. Once again, job well done and thanks!

Voyager

You got the best route today. Fry's Turkey Ranch on the return is some good eating.

Be Safe!

Never any time to stop there when I'm working, but it's a really nice ride coming up this way. Just looked at the 511 cameras and it looks like it's snowing to beat the band down in the York area. So glad today's plans changed!

Archived