SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy it southerners. Not much accumulation to speak of up here with light snow trying to fall. But of course WB Area schools are closed :arrowhead:

roads are interesting here.  lots of icing on the side streets if the snow were heavier we would be seeing ice ruts. the Schools did make the right call today. (except mine--I am at work)...

LOL!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA919 AM EST THU MAR 5 2015PAZ057>059-063-052100-/O.UPG.KCTP.WW.Y.0020.000000T0000Z-150305T1800Z//O.EXA.KCTP.WS.W.0005.000000T0000Z-150305T2100Z/DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...CARLISLE919 AM EST THU MAR 5 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM ESTTHIS AFTERNOON. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER INEFFECT.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.* TIMING...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES WILL FALL THROUGH THIS  MORNING...THEN TAPER OFF EARLY THIS AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.* LOCATIONS...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVELING. FOR THE LATEST WEATHERINFORMATION...GO TO WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE OR MONITOR NOAAWEATHER RADIO.

Officially every 6 hours is the way to measure unless it stops then starts again or there's a precip change. Even if it snows 4", and it compacts to 1" after six hours, the report should be 1". Just saying, that's how NWS trained me

I thought that was just for clearing the board?

Warning to an advisory back to warning ⛄️

Haha!  I guess they can, in fact, re-upgrade to a warning the 2nd time.  Amazing...the WSW says the exact same thing it said yesterday morning when the first WSW was issued...4-8". 

I've got just a tad over 2" here with moderate snow (between 0.5" and 0.75" per hour) and good flake size.  Only 2 more inches to go to reach the elusive 4" mark.

Temp holding steady at 27.2 and the barometer is RISING.

That's correct. You can measure as much as you like, as long as that amount isn't greater than the 6 hour board measurement. For one hour rates etc.

Gotcha, yeah it's not often I get a measurement higher than my 6hr board clearing prior to the clearing.

I don't remember a downgrade then upgrade within 12 hours in the same storm.

Yeah...like I said last night...I was afraid NWS was going to overreact to the 18Z runs and pull back on the accumulations only to have them increase back up again as the storm progressed.

Like you, I don't think I've ever seen this happen before.  I'm used to the constant downgrading from WSW to WWA that they've been doing a lot this winter.  I can't believe they let that one run so heavily influence their accumulation forecasts.  I'm not trying to judge them...just making an observation.

Rates are getting even better here now.  Radar looks really good for the next few hours.  When I look up at the sky I can see the curly purple lines from SPC overhead!

Archived